syncing files/file manager

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop
    and on the original computer.

    I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..

    Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    type of thing?

    Also, why is that windows explorer when copying lots of files to a
    distination where most already exist, you can get that box asking about
    replacing files.. YES/NO/YES TO ALL.. why is there no NO TO ALL.. very
    annoying!!

    anyone know of a explorer type replacement or addon or even standalone
    program that can deal with certain things better?

    Nova, Feb 23, 2006

  2. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    > laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop
    > and on the original computer.
    >
    > I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    > replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    > laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    > type of thing?
    >

    > Also, why is that windows explorer when copying lots of files to a
    > distination where most already exist, you can get that box asking about
    > replacing files.. YES/NO/YES TO ALL.. why is there no NO TO ALL.. very
    > annoying!!
    >
    > anyone know of a explorer type replacement or addon or even standalone
    > program that can deal with certain things better?

    You really need to proof read what you write.

    Nova, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Nova

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    > laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop
    > and on the original computer.
    >
    > I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    > replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    > laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    > type of thing?
    >

    > Also, why is that windows explorer when copying lots of files to a
    > distination where most already exist, you can get that box asking about
    > replacing files.. YES/NO/YES TO ALL.. why is there no NO TO ALL.. very
    > annoying!!
    >
    > anyone know of a explorer type replacement or addon or even standalone
    > program that can deal with certain things better?

    There's a couple of promising utilities listed here :)
    http://del.icio.us/hindesite/sync
    http://del.icio.us/hindesite/backup

    (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html looks quite
    good, I have only briefly looked at it so far, and only for backups)

    Or a huge list here:
    http://del.icio.us/search/?all=sync backup

    What about MS SyncToy for XP?

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, Feb 23, 2006
  4. Nova

    Nova Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >> I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    >> laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop
    >> and on the original computer.
    >>
    >> I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate
    >> should replace older files no matter whether its on the original
    >> source or the laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both
    >> directions..
    >>
    >> Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    >> type of thing?
    >>

    >> Also, why is that windows explorer when copying lots of files to a
    >> distination where most already exist, you can get that box asking
    >> about replacing files.. YES/NO/YES TO ALL.. why is there no NO TO
    >> ALL.. very annoying!!
    >>
    >> anyone know of a explorer type replacement or addon or even standalone
    >> program that can deal with certain things better?

    > There's a couple of promising utilities listed here :)
    > http://del.icio.us/hindesite/sync
    > http://del.icio.us/hindesite/backup
    >
    > (http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html looks quite
    > good, I have only briefly looked at it so far, and only for backups)
    >
    > Or a huge list here:
    > http://del.icio.us/search/?all=sync backup
    >
    > What about MS SyncToy for XP?
    >
    > HTH

    Cool thanks, might take a look at that fullsync one, looks like it might
    do what I want.

    Nova, Feb 24, 2006
  5. Nova

    Enkidu Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    > laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop
    > and on the original computer.
    >
    > I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    > replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    > laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    > type of thing?
    >

    > Also, why is that windows explorer when copying lots of files to a
    > distination where most already exist, you can get that box asking about
    > replacing files.. YES/NO/YES TO ALL.. why is there no NO TO ALL.. very
    > annoying!!
    >
    > anyone know of a explorer type replacement or addon or even standalone
    > program that can deal with certain things better?

    Providing you are not scared by a command line, xcopy comes free with
    Windows. Robocopy (download from MS) is better.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2006
  6. "Nova" <> wrote in message news:43fe4192$...
    >I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    >laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop and
    >on the original computer.
    >
    > I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    > replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    > laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..
    >
    > Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    > type of thing?

    There is the free Microsoft SyncToy - in Beta but very good and free. It
    works well. I am actually using GoodSync, which I found during the CES 2006
    and was sent a copy for review
    (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5941).

    It has a manual and automatic options. Automatic is great for removable
    media, so it keeps in sync all the time, while manual is great for laptop
    use when you only synchronise your work from time to time.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 24, 2006
  7. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    >> laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the
    >> laptop and on the original computer.
    >>
    >> I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate
    >> should replace older files no matter whether its on the original
    >> source or the laptop and it should copy files that are missing in
    >> both directions.. Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows)
    >> that can do
    >> this type of thing?
    >>

    > There is the free Microsoft SyncToy - in Beta but very good and free.
    > It works well. I am actually using GoodSync, which I found during the
    > CES 2006 and was sent a copy for review
    > (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5941).
    >
    > It has a manual and automatic options. Automatic is great for
    > removable media, so it keeps in sync all the time, while manual is
    > great for laptop use when you only synchronise your work from time to
    > time.

    Is the basic version of GoodSync free? I can't find mention of it on the
    download page linked so have downloaded it anyway. However, on my throttled
    connection it'll be a little while yet.

    I've had good success with SyncToy so far. Shame that, to automate it, you
    have to use task scheduler. One of the first things I do with an XP install
    is delete task scheduler, I don't like processes running that I never use.
    (Maybe until now).

    Using SyncToy it's a breeze to back up my OE store folder, Calypso mailbox,
    Firefox favourites.... all those little things that usually reside on C:
    drive that make a re-install so much easier if you have them backed up.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2006
  8. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >> There is the free Microsoft SyncToy - in Beta but very good and free.
    >> It works well. I am actually using GoodSync, which I found during the
    >> CES 2006 and was sent a copy for review
    >> (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5941).
    >>
    >> It has a manual and automatic options. Automatic is great for
    >> removable media, so it keeps in sync all the time, while manual is
    >> great for laptop use when you only synchronise your work from time to
    >> time.

    > Is the basic version of GoodSync free? I can't find mention of it on the
    > download page linked so have downloaded it anyway. However, on my
    > throttled connection it'll be a little while yet.

    Yes, it is free for personal use, with a pro version costing $19.95 I think

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Feb 25, 2006
  9. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >>> There is the free Microsoft SyncToy - in Beta but very good and
    >>> free. It works well. I am actually using GoodSync, which I found
    >>> during the CES 2006 and was sent a copy for review
    >>> (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5941).
    >>>
    >>> It has a manual and automatic options. Automatic is great for
    >>> removable media, so it keeps in sync all the time, while manual is
    >>> great for laptop use when you only synchronise your work from time
    >>> to time.

    >> Is the basic version of GoodSync free? I can't find mention of it on
    >> the download page linked so have downloaded it anyway. However, on my
    >> throttled connection it'll be a little while yet.
    >>

    > Yes, it is free for personal use, with a pro version costing $19.95 I
    > think

    Thanks, I may try it, although I'm happy with SyncToy.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 25, 2006
  10. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message news:43fe4192$...
    >> I have a collection of files on one drive which I have copied onto my
    >> laptop at various stages I've added to these files both on the laptop and
    >> on the original computer.
    >>
    >> I would do sync these up.. any files that have a later filedate should
    >> replace older files no matter whether its on the original source or the
    >> laptop and it should copy files that are missing in both directions..
    >>
    >> Anyone have any recommendations on software (windows) that can do this
    >> type of thing?
    >>

    > There is the free Microsoft SyncToy - in Beta but very good and free. It
    > works well. I am actually using GoodSync, which I found during the CES 2006
    > and was sent a copy for review
    > (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5941).
    >
    > It has a manual and automatic options. Automatic is great for removable
    > media, so it keeps in sync all the time, while manual is great for laptop
    > use when you only synchronise your work from time to time.

    I took a look at SyncToy from Microsoft, did the trick nicely. Seems
    very simply and powerful enough for most general things.

    Nova, Feb 27, 2006