synchronizing shared files

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmV2aWxv?=, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Can anyone tell me how to synchronize shared files on my network so all the
    computers have the most up-to-date copies?

    =?Utf-8?B?UmV2aWxv?=, Jan 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmV2aWxv?=

    Dave Cox Guest

    At last! A prolem I can help with!! Or I thought I could. In a recent
    computer active it delt with this problem. I am sure its a simple download
    from the Microsoft Website. Look up the computer active mag (its in the UK)
    and I am sure you will find it.

    I'll still have a look for my mag, poss the wife has binned it........

    Dave Cox, Jan 20, 2006

  3. I believe I saw a similar post several days ago where the person who replied suggested to
    have each pc/laptop put the files to be shared in their "shared files" folder. Then when
    someone connects to the network, the files will automatically synchronize.

    This, I think is assuming all pc/laptops are running Win-XP. A pc running Win98 or Win-ME
    will run into "file permission" issues.
    At least this is what I think I understand....

    I suppose you could buy a network drive thing where you have an external drive that's
    wired to a network access point. That way the files stay in one location and don't depend
    on the host pc to be powered up for the others to use the files. Maybe a good way to
    backup as well.

    I'm sure there are software application solutions out there too, try to google search
    "network backup" or "network file synchronize".

    But knowing me, I would probably do it the complicated yet free way by putting a shortcut
    on each pc desktop that runs a batch file containing the DOS "xcopy.exe" command.
    Utilizing the /D switch so only the newer files get copied to the target location. This
    would need to run in reverse as well so the pc can pickup new (or newer) files from the
    other location as well. Everyone would have to click on the shortcut when they connect to
    the network to make this work. Maybe there's a way to have it run at startup to help
    automate it. But it would need to check (at each boot) to make sure the network is
    connected before it runs. Otherwise it would just bomb out. Xcopy is rather crude and
    doesn't handle errors very well, but hey, it's free. Been apart of the Microsoft operating
    systems before there ever was Windows, meaning DOS.

    At work, I have a scheduled task (WinXP) that runs the batch file every afternoon that
    copies all "updated" work documents and mail folders to a separate physical hard drive for
    backup purposes. I've been quite happy with it. And it maintains the original folder
    structure on the second hard drive.

    This represented a challenge to me and after some trial-and-error, I was able to get it to
    do what I wanted. If your not into a challenge, or know little about DOS, I'm certain
    there are programs for $30-50 that will do what you want. And will most likely have a
    better error handler as well.

    Sorry for all the extra verbage!

    Best regards,

    Richard in Va.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++

    Richard in Va., Jan 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UmV2aWxv?=

    TW Guest

    Windows comes with a solution for this and it's called the BRIEFCASE. Older
    versions of windows such as W98 you may have to go to add/remove programs to
    install it, but XP by default is installed already.
    Simply right click on your desktop, point to new then click briefcase. Next
    connect to the network share and drag and drop the files and/or folders that
    you want to the briefcase.
    Each time you open and close the briefcase click the update button to sync
    your files.
    Hope that helps

    TW, Jan 21, 2006
  5. "Revilo" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to synchronize shared files on my network so all
    > the
    > computers have the most up-to-date copies?

    Why not store all your data on one computer, as though it were a server, and
    have all computers access the shared folders on that computer? This is a lot
    more reliable than syncing - and you won't run into issues wherein two
    people have modified and tried to sync the same files.

    If you have Windows 2000 or WinXP Pro as the 'server', you can connect up to
    ten computers to your shared stuff. If you have XP Home, it's limited to 5.

    Or get a server or NAS box, etc., to store everything.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 21, 2006