    Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Marek Williams

    gwtc Guest

    Marek Williams wrote:

    > What does that do?
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 desktop and a Linux laptop, both running the
    > latest Firefox. I know I can export bookmarks from either version as
    > an html file, then import that file into the other version. But when I
    > do I end up with tons of duplicate entries because it adds the entries
    > from the file even if the entry is already there.
    >
    > So does Synchronize Bookmarks do what I hope it does? If I click on it
    > will it pop up a dialog box asking which other copy of Firefox on the
    > network I want to synchronize with? Or does it do none of the above
    > and I have totally misinterpreted what it does?
    >
    > Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

    What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
    that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
    adding to the current file.

    To locate your profile, see this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    But if you're using windows, your profile is hidden, so you have to
    unhide window files. To do that you can read this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx
    gwtc, Dec 11, 2005

  3. Marek Williams wrote:
    > What does that do?
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 desktop and a Linux laptop, both running the
    > latest Firefox. I know I can export bookmarks from either version as
    > an html file, then import that file into the other version. But when I
    > do I end up with tons of duplicate entries because it adds the entries
    > from the file even if the entry is already there.
    >
    > So does Synchronize Bookmarks do what I hope it does? If I click on it
    > will it pop up a dialog box asking which other copy of Firefox on the
    > network I want to synchronize with? Or does it do none of the above
    > and I have totally misinterpreted what it does?
    >
    > Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

    Instead of export/import, just copy your bookmarks.html file form the
    profile folder on one machine, to the profile folder on the othet.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 11, 2005
  4. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
    <> dijo:

    >Marek Williams wrote:
    >
    >> What does that do?
    >>
    >> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

    >What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
    >that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
    >adding to the current file.

    Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
    Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
    version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
    exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
    into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
    the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
    through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.

    Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
    version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
    What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
    bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
    which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
    other.

    I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams, Dec 15, 2005
  5. Marek Williams wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
    > <> dijo:
    >
    >> Marek Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> What does that do?
    >>>
    >>> Hesitant to click on it without knowing what it does.

    >> What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
    >> that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
    >> adding to the current file.

    > Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
    > Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
    > version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
    > exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
    > into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
    > the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
    > through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.
    >
    > Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
    > version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
    > What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
    > bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
    > which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
    > other.
    >
    > I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.

    I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
    function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
    profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
    into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
    Do this with Firefox closed.

    I synch bookmarks this way going from my Mac desktop to my XP laptop.

    I can provide information on the profile locations if required.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 15, 2005
  6. Marek Williams

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Marek Williams wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:17:22 -0800, gwtc
    >><> dijo:

    >>>What I do is go into my profile, locate the file bookmarks.html, copy
    >>>that, and move that around. When you import, all you're doing is
    >>>adding to the current file.

    >>Thanks to you and Leonidas, but that is not a good solution. I have a
    >>Windows deskptop and a Linux laptop. Last time I did that the Windows
    >>version had a few bookmarks that the Linux version did not. So I
    >>exported the bookmarks from the Windows version, then imported them
    >>into the Linux version. What a mess! Most of the bookmarks had been
    >>the same, so now the ones that were the same were doubled. I had to go
    >>through and manually remove a ton of bookmarks from the Linux version.
    >>
    >>Right now the Linux version has a few more bookmarks than the Windows
    >>version. But I don't want to go through the export-import mess again.
    >>What I was hoping for was some utility that would identify which
    >>bookmarks are different in the two versions, and then let me flag
    >>which specific bookmark(s) to add to the one and from the one to the
    >>other.
    >>
    >>I guess that's not what "synchronize bookmarks" means.
    >>

    > I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
    > function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
    > profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
    > into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
    > Do this with Firefox closed.
    >
    > I synch bookmarks this way going from my Mac desktop to my XP laptop.
    >
    > I can provide information on the profile locations if required.
    >
    > Lee

    To add to what Lee said, when you import bookmarks, all you're doing
    is ADDing to the current list, so thats why you had duplicates.
    gwtc, Dec 15, 2005
  7. On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:28:09 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    dijo:

    >I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
    >function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
    >profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
    >into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
    >Do this with Firefox closed.

    But I like *some* of the bookmarks from *each* computer. If I do as
    you suggest I will lose some of the ones I like.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Marek Williams wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:28:09 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > dijo:
    >
    >> I think you are misunderstanding us. Do not use the import/export
    >> function to synchronize bookmarks. Instead, copy bookmarks html from the
    >> profile folder of the machine with the bookmarks you like. Paste it
    >> into the profile folder on the machine with the out of date bookmarks.
    >> Do this with Firefox closed.

    > But I like *some* of the bookmarks from *each* computer. If I do as
    > you suggest I will lose some of the ones I like.

    Depending on the number involved, it may actually be easiest to go to
    the sites and rebookmark them.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 22, 2005