    'activation.'
    The price is around $30 for these programs.
    Any suggestions, observations or corrections, please?
    d h, Jul 14, 2003

  2. d h

    CSM1 Guest

    "d h " <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I need to keep track of which photos and other files are on multiple

    computers
    > (at home, work, laptop) and to make sure there's a copy on my external USB

    hard
    > drive. Also, something that will find duplicate files in different

    folders on
    > the same machine would be a nice feature too. And something that keeps

    track
    > of folder contents and prints a listing would be helpful.
    >
    > I've tried FolderMatch from SaltyBrine software - it has several nice

    features
    > but doesn't seem to be able to examine sub-directories or folders within
    > folders - the sub-folders have to be examined separately.
    > SynchronizeIt from Grig software has fewer features from what I've seen,

    but it
    > is able look at sub-directories.
    > ADCS (Advanced Directory Comparison and Synchronization) from Heatsoft

    seems
    > good, but can only be used on 3 computers, if I understand their

    explanation of
    > 'activation.'
    > The price is around $30 for these programs.
    > Any suggestions, observations or corrections, please?

    I have tried File SyncForce and It is pretty good for synchronizing whole
    disks. Price is about $35 if you buy.
    http://www.objectforce.com

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Jul 14, 2003

  3. > Any suggestions, observations or corrections, please?

    I've been using Equalise (which I wrote) for many years:

    http://www.satsignal.net => Disk Utilities, Equalise

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 14, 2003
  4. d h wrote:
    > I need to keep track of which photos and other files are on multiple computers
    > (at home, work, laptop) and to make sure there's a copy on my external USB hard
    > drive. Also, something that will find duplicate files in different folders on
    > the same machine would be a nice feature too. And something that keeps track
    > of folder contents and prints a listing would be helpful.
    >
    > I've tried FolderMatch from SaltyBrine software - it has several nice features
    > but doesn't seem to be able to examine sub-directories or folders within
    > folders - the sub-folders have to be examined separately.
    > SynchronizeIt from Grig software has fewer features from what I've seen, but it
    > is able look at sub-directories.
    > ADCS (Advanced Directory Comparison and Synchronization) from Heatsoft seems
    > good, but can only be used on 3 computers, if I understand their explanation of
    > 'activation.'
    > The price is around $30 for these programs.
    > Any suggestions, observations or corrections, please?

    I use a program called FileSync from www.fileware.co.uk. It's how I
    sync up changes on my hard drive with my DVD backups so I don't have to
    burn a new DVD every time.
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 14, 2003
  5. d h

    Photon Guest

    I recently switched to robocopy, a command-line utility from Microsoft that
    can be used to copy/backup/sync folders. I've just put a link on my desktop
    and double click on it to initiate the backup. It is really fast and can be
    combined with the task scheduler if you want to automate syncs/backups.

    It can be found on Microsoft NT4/W2k/XP Pro/2003 resource kit CDs. The 2003
    Server resource kit can be downloaded from
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544. Earlier verisons can be found
    on the internet (do a Google search).

    Alternatively, xxcopy is a freeware alternative that appears to be at least
    functionally equivalent.
    Photon, Jul 15, 2003