sync programs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?

    I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
    a few bugs in it..

    1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    recognise files being deleted..

    2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
    then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.

    3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
    and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)

    When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
    worried I might be losing information too...

    So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    Nova, Jul 25, 2006

  2. Nova

    Shank Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    >
    > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
    > a few bugs in it..
    >
    > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    > recognise files being deleted..
    >
    > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
    > then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    >
    > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
    > and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    >
    > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
    > worried I might be losing information too...
    >
    > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    > but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle.

    Syncback

    www.2brightsparks.com

    The free version is great. Haven't tried the retail version.
    --
    Rob

    In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
    have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
    "Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

    Shank, Jul 25, 2006

    I use www.goodsync.com

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Jul 25, 2006

    The heavyweight standard is rsync <http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    >
    > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
    > have a few bugs in it..
    >
    > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    > recognise files being deleted..
    >
    > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
    > then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    >
    > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
    > again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    >
    > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I
    > am worried I might be losing information too...
    >
    > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    > but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    I thought SyncToy was great until I found that all my folders that were
    supposed to contain my camera pics for the last year (that I had been
    'echoing' to another drive) were now empty. As were the folders on the
    backup. Lots and lots of pics gone forever (I had unticked the "Place
    deleted/overwritten items in the recycle bin" option as it was putting all
    my overwritten pics in the bin each time I ran it, a royal PITA).

    I now back up my folders manually.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Nova

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "Shank" <Here@home> wrote in message news:44c5afc0$...
    > Nova wrote:
    > > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?

    <snip>
    > Syncback
    >
    > www.2brightsparks.com
    >
    > The free version is great. Haven't tried the retail version.
    > --
    > Rob
    >
    > In poker you have to show your hand eventually if called. So far SCO
    > have with great reluctance shown only one card, which turned out to be
    > "Mr Bun, The Baker". -- Electric Dragon on groklaw.net

    Seconded -both for folder syncing and for backups. Very powerful and can be
    run from a command-line (useful for scheduled backups and syncing -both
    local and over a network)
    Cheers
    -Darl [Pleb]

    Pleb Plebian, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Nova

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <44c5a94a$>, says...

    Checked out http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/ ?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Nova

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:16:02 +1200
    Nova <> wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    >
    > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
    > have a few bugs in it..
    >
    > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    > recognise files being deleted..
    >
    > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will
    > do, then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    >
    > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
    > again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    >
    > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I
    > am worried I might be losing information too...
    >
    > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    > but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    Hi
    Try Syncback Freeware http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    >
    > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
    > a few bugs in it..
    >
    > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    > recognise files being deleted..
    >
    > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
    > then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    >
    > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
    > and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    >
    > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
    > worried I might be losing information too...
    >
    > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    > but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    Thanks to everyone that replied, I think I'm going to settle with
    SyncBack, it looks great and very powerful and best of all seems to be
    accurate and reliable :).

    Nova, Jul 25, 2006
  10. Nova

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    > > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    > >
    > > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to
    > > have a few bugs in it..
    > >
    > > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems
    > > to recognise files being deleted..
    > >
    > > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will
    > > do, then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    > >
    > > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run
    > > again and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    > >
    > > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but
    > > I am worried I might be losing information too...
    > >
    > > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like
    > > synctoy but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    > Thanks to everyone that replied, I think I'm going to settle with
    > SyncBack, it looks great and very powerful and best of all seems to be
    > accurate and reliable :).

    Sounds like a good move, I've grabbed it too. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Nova wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good program for syncing files?
    >
    > I have tried Microsoft's synctoy which is pretty cool but seems to have
    > a few bugs in it..
    >
    > 1) if you delete a folder - that doesn't get synced, it only seems to
    > recognise files being deleted..
    >
    > 2) I've run a preview in it sometimes and it tells me what it will do,
    > then when i actually do the run, it says it has nothing to do.
    >
    > 3) sometimes you do a run and it does nothing, then you click run again
    > and it finds things to do.. (when nothing has changed)
    >
    > When they iron out those little bugs it will be a great program but I am
    > worried I might be losing information too...
    >
    > So.... can anyone recommend anything that is easy to use like synctoy
    > but perhaps a little more mature in the product cycle..

    www.foldershare.com

    or Windows Live Drive when it comes out soon

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 27, 2006
  12. In message <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > or Windows Live Drive when it comes out soon

    Is that "soon" as in "Vista soon" ... ?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 27, 2006
  13. Nova

    Chris Lim Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > Syncback

    Does this or any other sync program handle the case where you move or
    delete files from one folder and want those same actions done on the
    sync'ed folder (when the sync is 2-way that is). I'm guessing most
    programs would just detect the moved/deleted files as missing and copy
    them back from the other folder...?

    Chris Lim, Jul 27, 2006
  14. Nova

    Shank Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Shank wrote:
    >> Syncback

    > Does this or any other sync program handle the case where you move or
    > delete files from one folder and want those same actions done on the
    > sync'ed folder (when the sync is 2-way that is). I'm guessing most
    > programs would just detect the moved/deleted files as missing and copy
    > them back from the other folder...?

    Yes. You get full control of both source and destination.

    source != dest write or delete dest
    dest != source write or delete source
    write/delete sub-directories or not
    new/old files etc.
    any combination you like
    I have not found another with this much control, and free to boot.
    --
    Rob

    Shank, Jul 27, 2006
  15. Nova

    Chris Lim Guest

    Shank wrote:
    > Yes. You get full control of both source and destination.
    >
    > source != dest write or delete dest
    > dest != source write or delete source
    > write/delete sub-directories or not
    > new/old files etc.
    > any combination you like
    > I have not found another with this much control, and free to boot.

    Say I have a situation with two folders being sync'ed, each containing
    various sub-folders. Both folders can be written to. I'm wondering how
    the sync program could differentiate between the following scenarios:

    1) File is added to Folder A. File should automatically be added to
    Folder B.
    2) File is added to Folder B. File should be automatically added to
    Folder A.
    3) File is deleted from Folder A. File should be automatically deleted
    from Folder B.
    4) File is deleted from Folder B. File should be automatically deleted
    from Folder A.

    Assume sync is done every 10 mins.

    1 and 2 are easy. But I'm wondering if it will handle 3 and 4? Or would
    it treat 3 the same as 2, and 4 the same as 1?

    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 27, 2006
  16. Nova

    Shank Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Shank wrote:
    >> Yes. You get full control of both source and destination.
    >>
    >> source != dest write or delete dest
    >> dest != source write or delete source
    >> write/delete sub-directories or not
    >> new/old files etc.
    >> any combination you like
    >> I have not found another with this much control, and free to boot.

    > Say I have a situation with two folders being sync'ed, each containing
    > various sub-folders. Both folders can be written to. I'm wondering how
    > the sync program could differentiate between the following scenarios:
    >
    > 1) File is added to Folder A. File should automatically be added to
    > Folder B.
    > 2) File is added to Folder B. File should be automatically added to
    > Folder A.
    > 3) File is deleted from Folder A. File should be automatically deleted
    > from Folder B.
    > 4) File is deleted from Folder B. File should be automatically deleted
    > from Folder A.
    >
    > Assume sync is done every 10 mins.
    >
    > 1 and 2 are easy. But I'm wondering if it will handle 3 and 4? Or would
    > it treat 3 the same as 2, and 4 the same as 1?
    >
    > Chris

    Here's a screenshot of one of the setup panels

    http://phstpok.com/sback/syncback.html

    but really, you should just download it and try it.

    --
    Rob

    Shank, Jul 27, 2006