    the modem clock is OK, but at the next reset the logs start over at Jan 1.

    Is there a way to make the time setting more persistent?

    Larry

    Larry Spitz, Dec 2, 2008

  2. Larry Spitz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <I37Zk.302834$1.easynews.com>,
    says...
    > I have one of these modems, supplied by Xtra.
    >
    > There are three options for setting the modem's clock:
    > 1. Automatic (simple network time protocol)
    > 2. Your computer's clock
    > 3. Manual
    >
    > No matter which one I select, if the modem is reset, either by software or
    > power-cycling, the clock gets set to Jan 1, 12:00
    >
    > I then have to set the clock (I usually use #2) and from that point forward
    > the modem clock is OK, but at the next reset the logs start over at Jan 1.
    >
    > Is there a way to make the time setting more persistent?

    Hi, just wondering why you want to do this? (set the datetime on yer
    modem).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Larry Spitz

    Richard Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <I37Zk.302834$1.easynews.com>,
    > says...
    >> I have one of these modems, supplied by Xtra.
    >>
    >> There are three options for setting the modem's clock:
    >> 1. Automatic (simple network time protocol)
    >> 2. Your computer's clock
    >> 3. Manual
    >>
    >> No matter which one I select, if the modem is reset, either by software or
    >> power-cycling, the clock gets set to Jan 1, 12:00
    >>
    >> I then have to set the clock (I usually use #2) and from that point forward
    >> the modem clock is OK, but at the next reset the logs start over at Jan 1.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make the time setting more persistent?

    > Hi, just wondering why you want to do this? (set the datetime on yer
    > modem).

    So the log is right, the emails have correct timestamps and any time
    based access restrictions happen at the right time?

    Put it on SNTP and put a valid time server in. It can be on the internet
    but that just means that the log may be wrong up till that point. I use
    one on the lan here on the domain controller. Just seems to work out of
    the box with windows once its allowed in the firewall.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2008
  4. Richard wrote:

    > Put it on SNTP and put a valid time server in.

    And make the time server one of your own internal machines, that becomes the time reference for the rest of your network. No sense having ALL your machines hitting the Internet time servers. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 3, 2008
  5. Larry Spitz

    Larry Spitz Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > In article <I37Zk.302834$1.easynews.com>,
    > says...
    >> I have one of these modems, supplied by Xtra.
    >>
    >> There are three options for setting the modem's clock:
    >> 1. Automatic (simple network time protocol)
    >> 2. Your computer's clock
    >> 3. Manual
    >>
    >> No matter which one I select, if the modem is reset, either by software
    >> or power-cycling, the clock gets set to Jan 1, 12:00
    >>
    >> I then have to set the clock (I usually use #2) and from that point
    >> forward the modem clock is OK, but at the next reset the logs start over
    >> at Jan 1.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make the time setting more persistent?

    > Hi, just wondering why you want to do this? (set the datetime on yer
    > modem).

    I guess I should have been more clear. I have tried all three approaches.
    All result in the same behaviour. The clock gets correctly set until a
    modem reboot, then no matter which sync-ing method was selected, the clock
    is set to Jan 1 12:00.

    Larry Spitz, Dec 3, 2008
  6. Larry Spitz

    Squiggle Guest

    Larry Spitz wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> In article <I37Zk.302834$1.easynews.com>,
    >> says...
    >>> I have one of these modems, supplied by Xtra.
    >>>
    >>> There are three options for setting the modem's clock:
    >>> 1. Automatic (simple network time protocol)
    >>> 2. Your computer's clock
    >>> 3. Manual
    >>>
    >>> No matter which one I select, if the modem is reset, either by software
    >>> or power-cycling, the clock gets set to Jan 1, 12:00
    >>>
    >>> I then have to set the clock (I usually use #2) and from that point
    >>> forward the modem clock is OK, but at the next reset the logs start over
    >>> at Jan 1.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to make the time setting more persistent?

    >> Hi, just wondering why you want to do this? (set the datetime on yer
    >> modem).
    >>

    > I guess I should have been more clear. I have tried all three approaches.
    > All result in the same behaviour. The clock gets correctly set until a
    > modem reboot, then no matter which sync-ing method was selected, the clock
    > is set to Jan 1 12:00.

    Its unavoidable I'm afraid, like most low end routers it does not have a
    real-time clock built in so upon reset it defaults to some arbitrary
    date/time. However if it is set to use sntp it should correct itself
    within a minute or two once the dsl connection is up.

    Squiggle, Dec 3, 2008
  7. Larry Spitz

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Larry Spitz wrote:
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > >
    > >> In article <I37Zk.302834$1.easynews.com>,
    > >> says...

    > >> Hi, just wondering why you want to do this? (set the datetime on yer
    > >> modem).
    > >>

    > > I guess I should have been more clear. I have tried all three approaches.
    > > All result in the same behaviour. The clock gets correctly set until a
    > > modem reboot, then no matter which sync-ing method was selected, the clock
    > > is set to Jan 1 12:00.

    > Its unavoidable I'm afraid, like most low end routers it does not have a
    > real-time clock built in so upon reset it defaults to some arbitrary
    > date/time. However if it is set to use sntp it should correct itself
    > within a minute or two once the dsl connection is up.

    Isn't he saying that's *not* happenning?

    MSG to Larry, after you've set the NTP server, are you saving the
    settings to the modem (usually a save and reboot option thingie).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Dec 3, 2008
  8. Larry Spitz

    Squiggle Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> Larry Spitz wrote:

    >>> I guess I should have been more clear. I have tried all three approaches.
    >>> All result in the same behaviour. The clock gets correctly set until a
    >>> modem reboot, then no matter which sync-ing method was selected, the clock
    >>> is set to Jan 1 12:00.

    >> Its unavoidable I'm afraid, like most low end routers it does not have a
    >> real-time clock built in so upon reset it defaults to some arbitrary
    >> date/time. However if it is set to use sntp it should correct itself
    >> within a minute or two once the dsl connection is up.

    > Isn't he saying that's *not* happenning?
    >
    > MSG to Larry, after you've set the NTP server, are you saving the
    > settings to the modem (usually a save and reboot option thingie).

    Wasn't entirely clear whether the OP was looking at the logs after the
    router had been up and running for a bit. And after looking at the
    dlink manual I'm not convinced that it actually runs the sntp client
    after a reboot unless told to manually. Just shite firmware more than
    likely. It runs linux under the hood so undoubtedly there will be some
    way to script it to make it work.

    Squiggle, Dec 3, 2008