Symtoms of MB burn out?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chris Wolf, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Chris Wolf

    Chris Wolf Guest

    People:

    Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I was
    reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response at
    all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?

    Gerry Wolf
    Chris Wolf, Sep 7, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Chris Wolf

    DC Guest

    Chris Wolf wrote:
    > People:


    > Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I was
    > reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    > but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    > connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response at
    > all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?


    Your monitor died?

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    DC, Sep 7, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Chris Wolf

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Chris Wolf mused:
    |
    | Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out?

    See below ...

    | I was
    | reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    | but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    | connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response
    | at all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?

    Yes. Likely your motherboard is toast.
    mhicaoidh, Sep 7, 2004
    #3
  4. Chris Wolf

    ICee Guest

    Chris Wolf wrote:
    > People:
    >
    > Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I
    > was reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light
    > stayed on, but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything
    > out, checked connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST
    > or any response at all. Is this it, or would there be another
    > possibility?
    >
    > Gerry Wolf
    >


    If you get no post beep, and no error beeps when powering up, then it
    could be the power supply, the motherboard, or possibly the CPU. If you
    have a DVM, check the voltages from the power supply at the ATX power
    connector while connected to the MB and with the system powered on. The
    connector voltages are listed here (don't be concerned about the
    negative voltages, unless it's a very old system [with ISA slots]).
    http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm
    ICee, Sep 7, 2004
    #4
  5. Chris Wolf

    Frank Guest

    "Chris Wolf" <> wrote in message
    news:RH6%c.3005$-kc.rr.com...
    > People:
    >
    > Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I

    was
    > reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed

    on,
    > but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    > connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any

    response at
    > all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?
    >
    > Gerry Wolf
    >
    >
    >


    This happen to me a couple of days ago except no HD light, nothing. Turn
    out the 3 months old power supply was dead. First dead PS in 20 years
    over 20 computers.

    I also had only one bad MB (pre DOS, CPM system). It was actually fried
    and you could smell it across the room. Trace was badly burned open,
    cleaned it out, jumpered it and worked fine again.
    Frank, Sep 7, 2004
    #5
  6. DC wrote:

    > Chris Wolf wrote:


    >> People:


    >> Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I was
    >> reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    >> but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    >> connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response at
    >> all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?


    > Your monitor died?


    Probably wouldn't keep the drive light on continually when there was no
    access.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Chris Wolf

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:


    >> Chris Wolf wrote:


    >>> People:


    >>> Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I was
    >>> reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    >>> but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    >>> connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response at
    >>> all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?


    >> Your monitor died?


    > Probably wouldn't keep the drive light on continually when there was no
    > access.


    I overlooked that detail. Whoops.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.
    DC, Sep 7, 2004
    #7
  8. DC wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:


    >>> Chris Wolf wrote:


    >>>> People:


    >>>> Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I was
    >>>> reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed on,
    >>>> but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    >>>> connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any response at
    >>>> all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?


    >>> Your monitor died?


    >> Probably wouldn't keep the drive light on continually when there was no
    >> access.


    > I overlooked that detail. Whoops.


    Coindicentally, today *my* monitor went black while I was writing a news
    post. And *my* drive light, at that point, stayed on full-time, too --
    identical to OP's report. :)

    I did a Windows Daily Fix #1 (I rebooted), and all hardware fine.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 8, 2004
    #8
  9. Chris Wolf

    Oh Really? Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 01:33:44 GMT, "Frank" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Chris Wolf" <> wrote in message
    >news:RH6%c.3005$-kc.rr.com...
    >> People:
    >>
    >> Quick question...what are the symptoms of a motherboard frying out? I

    >was
    >> reading an e-mail when everything just went black, the HD light stayed

    >on,
    >> but no activity. I opened up the case, cleaned everything out, checked
    >> connections, etc...but to no avail. I don't get the POST or any

    >response at
    >> all. Is this it, or would there be another possibility?
    >>
    >> Gerry Wolf
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >This happen to me a couple of days ago except no HD light, nothing. Turn
    >out the 3 months old power supply was dead. First dead PS in 20 years
    >over 20 computers.
    >
    >I also had only one bad MB (pre DOS, CPM system). It was actually fried
    >and you could smell it across the room. Trace was badly burned open,
    >cleaned it out, jumpered it and worked fine again.


    This one will kill you. Same thing happened to me so I took the system
    to Yoda...my computer guru/ Is manager for a large gov. agency. He
    guessed the power supply or mother board. No beeps on start up. I
    didn't have the money for a new either so I took it home and it sat
    there for a week. Just as a last ditch effort I tried it again and the
    damn thing fired up and is running fine today, about a year later. No
    idea why and I've never heard of a power supply needing a rest.
    But...I have had static problems. Try leaving it unplugged for a while
    and give it another try.

    John
    >
    Oh Really?, Sep 10, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Johnny Davis
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    714
    Rich Myerly
    Jan 19, 2004
  2. Dr. Slick

    DO TUNGSTEN LAMPS BURN OUT WHEN YOU TURN THEM ON??

    Dr. Slick, Oct 18, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    107
    Views:
    1,863
  3. nerd
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    792
  4. Joe

    Can't burn audio, can burn data

    Joe, Sep 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,101
    foolinyu
    Sep 29, 2004
  5. Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,005
Loading...

Share This Page