  1. Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?

    Thank you.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 17, 2006

  2. D. Spencer Hines

    ArtDent Guest

    On 17-Feb-2006, "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote:

    > Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?

    According to www.windowssecrets.com , the current best of the crop is
    ZoneAlarm's suite (as rated by several computer magazines)
    If you insist on choosing between Symantec and McAfee, then it is up to
    you which _you_ like better. (looks, ease of use, etc.)

    > Thank you.

    You are welcome.
    --
    We apologize for the inconvenience

    ArtDent, Feb 17, 2006

  3. D. Spencer Hines

    gilly Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:55:59 +0000, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

    > Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > DSH

    Linux of course

    gilly, Feb 17, 2006
  4. D. Spencer Hines

    Notan Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

    > Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >
    > Thank you.

    With all seriousness, you can expect a plethora of "buy something else"
    comments, and for good reason.

    The two "biggies" have become system resource hogs, which are extremely
    difficult to remove when (not "if") you choose to.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 17, 2006
  5. D. Spencer Hines

    braveheart Guest

    "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in message
    > Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > DSH

    Symantec might give you the better protection, but it's a pain to get out
    when you want to uninstall, if you use any of it don't install the go back
    product some of the symantic suites offer.

    Regards

    braveheart, Feb 17, 2006
  6. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <b%oJf.135$>,
    says...
    > Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > DSH

    I'd avoid Norton at all costs if possible. Anything else is better. ZA
    Suite or BitDefender Suite are my favorites. Reason to avoid Norton?
    Bloat and too invasive, hard to remove, etc etc.

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Feb 18, 2006
  7. "don't install the go back product some of the Symantec suites offer."

    I may already have it installed.

    How can I tell?

    Regards,

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Well, fair enough.

    I'm listening.

    There seem to be a lot of smart, well-informed people here.

    I currently do have the Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 installed -- but
    if there is a better way...I'm interested.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 18, 2006
  9. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <FLtJf.152$>,
    says...
    > Well, fair enough.
    >
    > I'm listening.
    >
    > There seem to be a lot of smart, well-informed people here.
    >
    > I currently do have the Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 installed -- but
    > if there is a better way...I'm interested.

    If you already have NIS installed, then I'd just leave it and continue
    to use it. I have heard stories of people uninstalling it and breaking
    their system, internet connection, etc etc. I know I once had a heck of
    a time removing Norton AV 2005. I wound up just reformatting. NAV and
    NIS make about 5000 registry entries when you install them, and it seems
    like a lot of stuff gets left behind when you attempt to uninstall. In
    fact, I think there is a program out there somewhere specifically for
    this, it tries to fully remove Norton products.

    Anyway, if you already have it on there, I'd just leave it and update
    your subscription. Else be prepared for the (possible) worst..
    reformatting..

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Feb 18, 2006
  10. Hmmmmmmm...

    Well that certainly sounds sensible.

    I've been using Norton since 1991 or so -- but it is quirky.

    I just discovered another trick today to make it comply with what I want it
    to do.

    DSH

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 18, 2006
  11. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <B1vJf.163$>,
    says...
    > Hmmmmmmm...
    >
    > Well that certainly sounds sensible.
    >
    > I've been using Norton since 1991 or so -- but it is quirky.

    Well, it might just be the safest thing to do... Good luck..

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Feb 18, 2006
  12. D. Spencer Hines

    donnie Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >DSH

    ##############################
    I will never use a symantec product again.

    donnie, Feb 18, 2006
  13. D. Spencer Hines

    > "don't install the go back product some of the Symantec suites offer."
    >
    > I may already have it installed.
    >
    > How can I tell?

    If it went in with systemworks, it should show on the systemworks control
    panel, you might have to do a complete uninstall then re-install without the

    braveheart, Feb 18, 2006
  14. No, it didn't go in with System Works.

    It's NIS 2005.

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 18, 2006
  15. D. Spencer Hines

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Kerodo - For future reference, this works:
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm :)

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 18, 2006
  16. braveheart wrote:

    > "D. Spencer Hines" <> wrote in message
    >> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> DSH

    > Symantec might give you the better protection,

    And your qualifications for making that determination would be....??

    None. That's what I thought.

    You "read it somewhere", and just like every other bit of advice you try
    to give you look like a fool because you really don't know what the hell
    you're talking about.

    If you go back over the long history of both products, McAfee has the
    better track record. By far. Norton/Symantec has had some really poor
    detection rates, and some of the most astounding holes and problems we've
    seen in the AV world. And it hasn't been all that long ago either. Last
    year someone found another "shut it off with three lines of code"
    vulnerability where a virus or worm could just unloaded it from memory and
    did it's thing. A complete joke.

    > but it's a pain to get out
    > when you want to uninstall, if you use any of it don't install the go back
    > product some of the symantic suites offer.

    It's no harder or easier than any other AV software. They either uninstall
    completely and cleanly, or they don't. And almost NONE of them do. Doesn't
    matter what you run and try to uninstall, if you want it completely gone
    you're looking at third party utilities and/or hand editing registry
    entries, config files, and your directory structure.

    By the way, I see you've nym hopped again. Is the heat too much for you in
    the kitchen kiddo? :)

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Feb 18, 2006
  17. Kerodo wrote:

    > In article <FLtJf.152$>,
    > says...
    >> Well, fair enough.
    >>
    >> I'm listening.
    >>
    >> There seem to be a lot of smart, well-informed people here.
    >>
    >> I currently do have the Norton Internet Security Suite 2005 installed --
    >> but if there is a better way...I'm interested.

    > If you already have NIS installed, then I'd just leave it and continue to
    > use it. I have heard stories of people uninstalling it and breaking their
    > system, internet connection, etc etc.

    That right there, all by itself, is reason enough to remove it and use
    something else. Even if it means a complete wipe and reinstall of the os
    to remove what basically amounts to "root kit" behavior.

    It's YOUR system, and YOU should determine whats running and what's not.
    NOT some greedy software vendor that produces a product so buggy it can't
    be "turned off".

    > Anyway, if you already have it on there, I'd just leave it and update your
    > subscription. Else be prepared for the (possible) worst.. reformatting..

    Screw that. Wipe and reinstall if you have to. Get rid of the trash any
    way you can. Move to Linux or something even. but DON'T let some software
    company dictate your choices for you. If you do, you're going to just ge
    more and more buggy, misbehaved, bloated crapware produced by people that
    care about only one thing.... moving funds from your pocket to theirs.

    George Orwell, Feb 18, 2006
  18. Notan wrote:

    > "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
    >>
    >> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > With all seriousness, you can expect a plethora of "buy something else"
    > comments, and for good reason.
    >
    > The two "biggies" have become system resource hogs, which are extremely
    > difficult to remove when (not "if") you choose to.

    Excellent point. The "top 2" as you put it got that way because they
    looked nice, not because they are the best choices security wise. Sad but
    true fact of life. They have sleek interfaces and install with a click.
    That costs heavily in all sorts of other resources though.

    Then there's the simple fact that just BECAUSE they're popular they're
    more vulnerable. Virus/worm authors will take steps to circumvent these
    products, or attack them directly, while another product is every bit as
    likely to catch an infection, cheaper as far as resources go, and more or
    less immune to this sort of targeted attack.

    George Orwell, Feb 18, 2006
  19. D. Spencer Hines

    Notan Guest

    George Orwell wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    >
    > > "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Which is the better total Internet Security System to install and why?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you.

    > > With all seriousness, you can expect a plethora of "buy something else"
    > > comments, and for good reason.
    > >
    > > The two "biggies" have become system resource hogs, which are extremely
    > > difficult to remove when (not "if") you choose to.

    > Excellent point. The "top 2" as you put it got that way because they
    > looked nice, not because they are the best choices security wise. Sad but
    > true fact of life. They have sleek interfaces and install with a click.
    > That costs heavily in all sorts of other resources though.
    >
    > Then there's the simple fact that just BECAUSE they're popular they're
    > more vulnerable. Virus/worm authors will take steps to circumvent these
    > products, or attack them directly, while another product is every bit as
    > likely to catch an infection, cheaper as far as resources go, and more or
    > less immune to this sort of targeted attack.

    And, if I might...

    Typically, companies that pay magazines big bucks for advertising their
    products, seldom receive poor reviews for said products.

    It's what's known as not biting the hand that feeds you.

    Notan

    Notan, Feb 18, 2006
  20. D. Spencer Hines

    Kerodo Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > > Anyway, if you already have it on there, I'd just leave it and update your
    > > subscription. Else be prepared for the (possible) worst.. reformatting..

    > Screw that. Wipe and reinstall if you have to. Get rid of the trash any
    > way you can. Move to Linux or something even. but DON'T let some software
    > company dictate your choices for you. If you do, you're going to just ge
    > more and more buggy, misbehaved, bloated crapware produced by people that
    > care about only one thing.... moving funds from your pocket to theirs.

    That would be my choice also, a clean reformat and be done with the
    crap. However, for some people, a reformat is a major trauma and/or
    entirely impossible. So it's up to him.

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Feb 18, 2006