Symantec takeover!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alexander Rogge, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. I had the most awful dream today. I went to the store to buy a copy of
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus and found out that Symantec had bought-out the
    company. Symantec had apparently synergized every other anti-virus
    software company, too. The boxes for all other anti-virus software
    still looked the same, until you opened the boxes. Then you'd find a
    CD-ROM copy of Symantec's anti-virus software, along with a 15-day trial
    copy of some sort of utilities bundle. Inside the sealed wrapper was
    one of those non-negotiable EULAs that basically said that the buyer had
    no rights and that he could not return the software package once the
    CD-ROM wrapper had been opened.

    So I tried installing the Symantec software on my PC, and after several
    reboots, I finally got the software running. Then a message box popped
    up and said that my subscription for the software had run out and that I
    needed to pay a fee to continue using it. I clicked on the Cancel
    button, but it just greyed itself out. Then the subscription expiration
    notice filled up my whole screen and demanded that I submit payment
    immediately. I hit Alt-Ctrl-Del and rebooted, but all I got was a blank
    screen after the Windows boot logo, and in the upper-left corner was a
    flashing DOS cursor.

    I hit the reset button on the PC and tried to reboot again, but this
    time things got really weird. Instead of the Windows logo, I got an
    AUTOEXEC.BAT routine and a DOS prompt. I did a DIR and a VER and found
    that I had Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 6.22. There was Norton AntiVirus
    v.3.0 installed, along with some other software that looked
    vaguely-familiar. Disc space was measured in megabytes, and a telephone
    modem sat next to the PC, its red status lights glowing dimly against
    the morning sunlight. What was I to do? That's right... CD\DOOM >>
    DOOM.EXE! Then I woke up and it was back to things as usual.

    Alexander Rogge, Feb 15, 2009

  2. Alexander Rogge wrote:

    > I hit the reset button on the PC and tried to reboot again, but this
    > time things got really weird. Instead of the Windows logo, I got an
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT routine and a DOS prompt. I did a DIR and a VER and found
    > that I had Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 6.22. There was Norton AntiVirus
    > v.3.0 installed, along with some other software that looked
    > vaguely-familiar. Disc space was measured in megabytes, and a telephone
    > modem sat next to the PC, its red status lights glowing dimly against
    > the morning sunlight. What was I to do? That's right... CD\DOOM >>
    > DOOM.EXE! Then I woke up and it was back to things as usual.

    Hehe. These beasts ... they didn't include the famous Norton Utilities for
    DOS, did they?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 15, 2009

  3. Alexander Rogge

    Tony Guest

    Are you *FROGGING* him??

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Feb 15, 2009
  4. Alexander Rogge

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I had the most awful dream today. I went to the store to buy a copy of

    [snip drivel]

    I've used Symantec Corporate AV products for more than a decade and
    found that they are fast, reliable, low impact on resources more
    reliable that most others.

    Symantec End Point Protection has worked better than any other AV
    product for our systems and clients than anything currently on the
    market. Symantec Corp Edition for Workstations and Servers has performed
    significantly better than any other product on the market for our
    systems as well as our clients systems in the last decade.

    Their home user products are not something I would touch, at least not
    until this latest version. Certainly they are better than AVG.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)

    Leythos, Feb 15, 2009
  5. Leythos wrote:
    > I've used Symantec Corporate AV products for more than a decade and
    > found that they are fast, reliable, low impact on resources more
    > reliable that most others.

    Then why didn't Symantec bother to maintain that quality in their
    consumer software releases? Symantec software has frequently slowed
    down PCs, interfered with operating systems, and become increasingly
    more annoying with each new version. That goes for McAfee, too. One
    easy fix to PC problems is to strip out the Symantec or McAfee
    "security" software, and suddenly the PC stops crashing.

    Alexander Rogge, Feb 15, 2009
  6. wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Alexander Rogge wrote:
    >> I hit the reset button on the PC and tried to reboot again, but this
    >> time things got really weird. Instead of the Windows logo, I got an
    >> AUTOEXEC.BAT routine and a DOS prompt. I did a DIR and a VER and found
    >> that I had Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 6.22. There was Norton AntiVirus
    >> v.3.0 installed, along with some other software that looked
    >> vaguely-familiar.

    > Hehe. These beasts ... they didn't include the famous Norton Utilities for
    > DOS, did they?

    Actually, I believe that the 15-day trial copy was for "SystemWorks". I
    had that Norton Utilities for DOS installed, and it was really good,
    particularly playing with the Disk Editor and Long File Name support.
    Then I got the next version and started having lots of problems.
    Microsoft Windows works much better without that bloated software
    interfering with it.

    Alexander Rogge, Feb 15, 2009
  7. Alexander Rogge

    Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote:

    >Alexander Rogge wrote:

    >> I hit the reset button on the PC and tried to reboot again, but this
    >> time things got really weird. Instead of the Windows logo, I got an
    >> AUTOEXEC.BAT routine and a DOS prompt. I did a DIR and a VER and found
    >> that I had Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS 6.22. There was Norton AntiVirus
    >> v.3.0 installed, along with some other software that looked
    >> vaguely-familiar. Disc space was measured in megabytes, and a telephone
    >> modem sat next to the PC, its red status lights glowing dimly against
    >> the morning sunlight. What was I to do? That's right... CD\DOOM >>
    >> DOOM.EXE! Then I woke up and it was back to things as usual.

    >Hehe. These beasts ... they didn't include the famous Norton Utilities for
    >DOS, did they?

    The first versions for Win95 had a recovery option, it's method was to
    reboot into a dos mode and you had Norton dos options to work with.

    You really had to look for the Windows Norton directory (hidden from
    the newbies), and there were all the recovery programs.

    I kept those programs they still work on XP. But I have only ever had
    need of (and still use): Unerase and Diskedit - and the reason I still
    run FAT32.

    F:\Bin\NORTON
    BE.EXE
    CALIBRAT.EXE
    DISKEDIT.EXE
    DISKMON.EXE
    DISKREET.EXE
    DISKREET.SYS
    DISKTOOL.EXE
    FILEFIND.EXE
    FILEFIX.EXE
    FILESAVE.EXE
    IMAGE.EXE
    NCACHE-F.EXE
    NCACHE-S.EXE
    NCC.EXE
    NCD.EXE
    NDD.EXE
    NORTON.CMD
    NORTON.EXE
    NORTON.OVL
    NORTON.ZIP
    NU.HLP
    NU.INI
    PCSHADOW.SYS
    READ.ME
    SFORMAT.EXE
    SPEEDISK.EXE
    SYSINFO.EXE
    TROUBLE.HLP
    UNERASE.EXE
    UNFORMAT.EXE
    WIPEINFO.EXE

    I installed Norton for windows because it was Norton - it caused no
    end of problems, and I really worked with it.

    Installed it on Win98 (I used installrite
    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/) to view the installation - the number
    of registry entries added was obscene. still no end of the problems it
    caused so I gave it up for good.
    --

    IK Project
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/12321.html