Symantec Subscription Problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Hi

    This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew"
    subscription a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone
    could suggest how I might get my money back.

    I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part
    and forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase.
    While NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work
    correctly in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the
    Symantec website I checked the date of the last update and compared that
    to what NIS/NAV was telling me and found that my updates weren't
    updating. Also, every time I was running live update it would tell me
    that the subscription for NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run
    automatically) but showed the subscription for NAV was current (NIS
    shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for NAV and 1 for NIS).

    Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    form) on 25 October but still no reply.

    I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it
    by applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.

    I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.

    I did, however pay by credit card.

    I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    get a working AV product on my PC.

    It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?

    Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?

    TIA
    Chris
    Chris Mayhew, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    Rob Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew" subscription
    > a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone could suggest
    > how I might get my money back.
    >
    > I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part and
    > forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase. While
    > NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work correctly
    > in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the Symantec website
    > I checked the date of the last update and compared that to what NIS/NAV
    > was telling me and found that my updates weren't updating. Also, every
    > time I was running live update it would tell me that the subscription for
    > NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run automatically) but showed
    > the subscription for NAV was current (NIS shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for
    > NAV and 1 for NIS).
    >
    > Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    > October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    > form) on 25 October but still no reply.
    >
    > I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it by
    > applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    > subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    > subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.
    >
    > I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.
    >
    > I did, however pay by credit card.
    >
    > I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    > get a working AV product on my PC.
    >
    > It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    > have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?
    >
    > Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    > card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    > wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    > concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?
    >

    > TIA
    > Chris
    > --

    The problem with a web form is that you probably have no proof that you
    contacted them on that date, unless it sent you an autoreply with your
    message. Why don't you email them again, and say what you plan to do, and
    give tehm 7 days to respond otherwise you will go ahead. AS they aren't a NZ
    company you wouldn't be covered by the same consumer laws.
    Rob, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew" subscription
    >>a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone could suggest
    >>how I might get my money back.
    >>
    >>I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part and
    >>forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase. While
    >>NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work correctly
    >>in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the Symantec website
    >>I checked the date of the last update and compared that to what NIS/NAV
    >>was telling me and found that my updates weren't updating. Also, every
    >>time I was running live update it would tell me that the subscription for
    >>NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run automatically) but showed
    >>the subscription for NAV was current (NIS shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for
    >>NAV and 1 for NIS).
    >>
    >>Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    >>October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    >>form) on 25 October but still no reply.
    >>
    >>I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it by
    >>applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    >>subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    >>subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.
    >>
    >>I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.
    >>
    >>I did, however pay by credit card.
    >>
    >>I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    >>get a working AV product on my PC.
    >>
    >>It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    >>have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?
    >>
    >>Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    >>card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    >>wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    >>concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?
    >>

    >>TIA
    >>Chris
    >>--

    > The problem with a web form is that you probably have no proof that you
    > contacted them on that date, unless it sent you an autoreply with your
    > message. Why don't you email them again, and say what you plan to do, and
    > give tehm 7 days to respond otherwise you will go ahead. AS they aren't a NZ
    > company you wouldn't be covered by the same consumer laws.

    Actually thats what I did the second time I filled out the form which I
    printed before sending as they don't CC you a copy. I don't actually
    have an email address for them, so I have to either phone or use the
    form. I guess my only option now is to wait until my credit card
    statement arrives and take it from there. Thanks for your response.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 1, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    JedMeister Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew" subscription
    > a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone could suggest
    > how I might get my money back.
    >
    > I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part and
    > forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase. While
    > NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work correctly
    > in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the Symantec website
    > I checked the date of the last update and compared that to what NIS/NAV
    > was telling me and found that my updates weren't updating. Also, every
    > time I was running live update it would tell me that the subscription for
    > NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run automatically) but showed
    > the subscription for NAV was current (NIS shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for
    > NAV and 1 for NIS).
    >
    > Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    > October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    > form) on 25 October but still no reply.
    >
    > I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it by
    > applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    > subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    > subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.
    >
    > I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.
    >
    > I did, however pay by credit card.
    >
    > I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    > get a working AV product on my PC.
    >
    > It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    > have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?
    >
    > Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    > card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    > wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    > concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?
    >

    > TIA
    > Chris
    > --

    Try...(phone numbers divert to Malaysia I think)....

    If you have questions regarding your existing case, contact Technical
    Support on 1300 368 089 for Australia, and 0800 442 795 for New Zealand.
    Note that free support services are available on our website at:
    http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp
    For downloads please visit:
    http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/files.html
    For Knowledge Base articles and Discussion Groups please visit:
    http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/knowledge_base.html
    For Subscription Renewals or Product Upgrades, contact our Upgrade Centre
    on: Australia - 1800 810 101 New Zealand: 0800 445 304 For Customer Service
    enquiries you can contact us online at : http://www.symantec.com/cssydney
    or alternatively call us: Australia - 1800 680 026 New Zealand - 0800 174
    089
    JedMeister, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:33:09 +1300, "Rob" <> wrote:

    >"Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew" subscription
    >> a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone could suggest
    >> how I might get my money back.
    >>
    >> I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part and
    >> forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase. While
    >> NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work correctly
    >> in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the Symantec website
    >> I checked the date of the last update and compared that to what NIS/NAV
    >> was telling me and found that my updates weren't updating. Also, every
    >> time I was running live update it would tell me that the subscription for
    >> NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run automatically) but showed
    >> the subscription for NAV was current (NIS shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for
    >> NAV and 1 for NIS).
    >>
    >> Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    >> October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    >> form) on 25 October but still no reply.
    >>
    >> I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it by
    >> applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    >> subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    >> subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.
    >>
    >> I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.
    >>
    >> I did, however pay by credit card.
    >>
    >> I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    >> get a working AV product on my PC.
    >>
    >> It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    >> have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?
    >>
    >> Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    >> card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    >> wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    >> concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?
    >>

    >> TIA
    >> Chris
    >> --

    >The problem with a web form is that you probably have no proof that you
    >contacted them on that date, unless it sent you an autoreply with your
    >message. Why don't you email them again, and say what you plan to do, and
    >give tehm 7 days to respond otherwise you will go ahead. AS they aren't a NZ
    >company you wouldn't be covered by the same consumer laws.

    No just get the Bank to reverse the Credit Card charge as you did not get the
    goods you paid for.

    Its that Simple..
    Geronimo, Nov 1, 2004
  6. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
> [...]
    >>--

    > Try...(phone numbers divert to Malaysia I think)....
    >
    > If you have questions regarding your existing case, contact Technical
    > Support on 1300 368 089 for Australia, and 0800 442 795 for New Zealand.
    > Note that free support services are available on our website at:
    > http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp
    > For downloads please visit:
    > http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/files.html
    > For Knowledge Base articles and Discussion Groups please visit:
    > http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/knowledge_base.html
    > For Subscription Renewals or Product Upgrades, contact our Upgrade Centre
    > on: Australia - 1800 810 101 New Zealand: 0800 445 304 For Customer Service
    > enquiries you can contact us online at : http://www.symantec.com/cssydney
    > or alternatively call us: Australia - 1800 680 026 New Zealand - 0800 174

    Thanks, but I found all that information when I went looking. I tried
    the 0800 number but gave up waiting. I went to the
    techsupport/knowledge base which is were I found the link to the web
    form I filled out. I note that on their web form they state that they
    will reply within 24 hours Monday to Friday.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 1, 2004
  7. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Geronimo wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:33:09 +1300, "Rob" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>This is a little embarrassing, but I bought the wrong "renew" subscription
    >>>a couple of weeks ago on line and was wondering if anyone could suggest
    >>>how I might get my money back.
    >>>
    >>>I had Norton Internet Security installed but I only used the NAV part and
    >>>forgot that it was actually NIS until after I had made my purchase. While
    >>>NIS accepted the NAV subscription number it didn't actually work correctly
    >>>in that it wouldn't "live update" properly. Going to the Symantec website
    >>>I checked the date of the last update and compared that to what NIS/NAV
    >>>was telling me and found that my updates weren't updating. Also, every
    >>>time I was running live update it would tell me that the subscription for
    >>>NIS was outdated (which meant it couldn't run automatically) but showed
    >>>the subscription for NAV was current (NIS shows 2 subscriptions - 1 for
    >>>NAV and 1 for NIS).
    >>>
    >>>Having realized my mistake I contacted Symantec via their web form on 17
    >>>October but did not receive a reply so I contacted them again (via web
    >>>form) on 25 October but still no reply.
    >>>
    >>>I pointed out to them that I had made this mistake and wanted to fix it by
    >>>applying a refund from the NAV subscription to the more expensive NIS
    >>>subscription. I didn't think was too unreasonable, considering the
    >>>subscription I bought was of no use to me anyway.
    >>>
    >>>I did try to phone them, but gave up waiting.
    >>>
    >>>I did, however pay by credit card.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not interested in a refund anymore as I could not wait any longer to
    >>>get a working AV product on my PC.
    >>>
    >>>It seems very hard to actually contact people at symantec - does anyone
    >>>have any direct email addresses I could follow this up with ?
    >>>
    >>>Do you think I would have any grounds to deny the charges on my credit
    >>>card statement when it arrives on the basis that the product is not the
    >>>wright one, and is "unfit" for it's intended use, and that the company
    >>>concerned has not replied to my correspondence regarding this ?
    >>>

    >>>TIA
    >>>Chris
    >>>--

    >>The problem with a web form is that you probably have no proof that you
    >>contacted them on that date, unless it sent you an autoreply with your
    >>message. Why don't you email them again, and say what you plan to do, and
    >>give tehm 7 days to respond otherwise you will go ahead. AS they aren't a NZ
    >>company you wouldn't be covered by the same consumer laws.
    >>

    > No just get the Bank to reverse the Credit Card charge as you did not get the
    > goods you paid for.
    >
    > Its that Simple..

    I don't think it's that simple as I did actually choose the product I
    paid for, it's just I choose the wrong one. It appears that getting a
    subscription renew for NAV is not the same as getting a subscription
    renew for the NAV component of NIS. The real problem I've had is
    getting any responce out of them to sort this mistake out.

    I have since installed a trial of Kaspersky Personal - which I like -
    regular, small updates. Can't see any advantage of getting the Pro
    version, though it will suit some people i'm sure.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 1, 2004
  8. Chris Mayhew

    Mr Scebe Guest

    > I don't think it's that simple as I did actually choose the product I
    > paid for, it's just I choose the wrong one. It appears that getting a
    > subscription renew for NAV is not the same as getting a subscription
    > renew for the NAV component of NIS. The real problem I've had is
    > getting any responce out of them to sort this mistake out.

    It raises an interesting point. If you go into a shop and purchase
    something, then get it home and find it's the wrong item, 9/10 times you can
    take it back and get a refund.

    This doesn't apply to software, where almost invariably there are big signs
    in the shop that s/w is non-returnable. Unfortunately it seems that you will
    have to wear the cost of the goods that you didn't want.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 1, 2004
  9. Chris Mayhew

    JedMeister Guest

> [...]

    >> For downloads please visit:
    >> http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/files.html
    >> For Knowledge Base articles and Discussion Groups please visit:
    >> http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/knowledge_base.html
    >> For Subscription Renewals or Product Upgrades, contact our Upgrade Centre
    >> on: Australia - 1800 810 101 New Zealand: 0800 445 304 For Customer
    >> Service enquiries you can contact us online at :
    >> http://www.symantec.com/cssydney
    >> or alternatively call us: Australia - 1800 680 026 New Zealand - 0800
    >> 174 089
    >>

    > Thanks, but I found all that information when I went looking. I tried the
    > 0800 number but gave up waiting. I went to the techsupport/knowledge
    > base which is were I found the link to the web form I filled out. I note
    > that on their web form they state that they will reply within 24 hours

    I had a bad experience with Symantec too - I was on the phone to them for
    several hours to fix an apparently simple problem. Symantec are a global
    company but act like a regional one. The Malaysian support center do not
    understand, that NZ'ers download software from the US. So, 3 territories
    are involved, which seems to cause all sorts of problems with their customer
    databases. ie, the malaysian CSR did not recognise my order number or my
    activation key. And, I had to phonetically spell anything important - the
    CSR's english was awful.
    JedMeister, Nov 1, 2004
  10. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mr Scebe wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>I don't think it's that simple as I did actually choose the product I
    >>paid for, it's just I choose the wrong one. It appears that getting a
    >>subscription renew for NAV is not the same as getting a subscription
    >>renew for the NAV component of NIS. The real problem I've had is
    >>getting any responce out of them to sort this mistake out.

    > It raises an interesting point. If you go into a shop and purchase
    > something, then get it home and find it's the wrong item, 9/10 times you can
    > take it back and get a refund.
    >
    > This doesn't apply to software, where almost invariably there are big signs
    > in the shop that s/w is non-returnable. Unfortunately it seems that you will
    > have to wear the cost of the goods that you didn't want.

    Maybe, but it's not "software" it's a "subscription" which could be
    terminated (I would have thought). Also, Symantec have a return policy
    for software, it just isn't very clear about subscriptions. Also, it
    wasn't a case of "not wanting the goods I bought", as I did at the time,
    it's just I got the wrong one (which was my fault). I have since
    changed my mind because I didn't get a responce from Symantec and needed
    to do something about getting a working AV product.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Chris Mayhew

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:57:56 +1300, "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:

    >"Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> I don't think it's that simple as I did actually choose the product I
    >> paid for, it's just I choose the wrong one. It appears that getting a
    >> subscription renew for NAV is not the same as getting a subscription
    >> renew for the NAV component of NIS. The real problem I've had is
    >> getting any responce out of them to sort this mistake out.

    >It raises an interesting point. If you go into a shop and purchase
    >something, then get it home and find it's the wrong item, 9/10 times you can
    >take it back and get a refund.
    >
    >This doesn't apply to software, where almost invariably there are big signs
    >in the shop that s/w is non-returnable. Unfortunately it seems that you will
    >have to wear the cost of the goods that you didn't want.

    The Warehouse are that way with CDs & DVDs now too.
    Invisible, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>JedMeister wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message

    >>>Try...(phone numbers divert to Malaysia I think)....
    >>>
    >>>If you have questions regarding your existing case, contact Technical
    >>>Support on 1300 368 089 for Australia, and 0800 442 795 for New Zealand.
    >>>Note that free support services are available on our website at:
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp
    >>>For downloads please visit:
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/files.html
    >>>For Knowledge Base articles and Discussion Groups please visit:
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_ap/techsupp/knowledge_base.html
    >>>For Subscription Renewals or Product Upgrades, contact our Upgrade Centre
    >>>on: Australia - 1800 810 101 New Zealand: 0800 445 304 For Customer
    >>>Service enquiries you can contact us online at :
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/cssydney
    >>>or alternatively call us: Australia - 1800 680 026 New Zealand - 0800
    >>>174 089
    >>>

    >>Thanks, but I found all that information when I went looking. I tried the
    >>0800 number but gave up waiting. I went to the techsupport/knowledge
    >>base which is were I found the link to the web form I filled out. I note
    >>that on their web form they state that they will reply within 24 hours
    >>Monday to Friday.
    >>

    > I had a bad experience with Symantec too - I was on the phone to them for
    > several hours to fix an apparently simple problem. Symantec are a global
    > company but act like a regional one. The Malaysian support center do not
    > understand, that NZ'ers download software from the US. So, 3 territories
    > are involved, which seems to cause all sorts of problems with their customer
    > databases. ie, the malaysian CSR did not recognise my order number or my
    > activation key. And, I had to phonetically spell anything important - the
    > CSR's english was awful.

    Oh Thanks !, thats just want I wanted to hear LOL

    I think I just try denying the Credit Card Charges when my statement
    arrives on the basis that the product isn't fit for the purpose it was
    intended for and that I have made best endeavors to contact the company
    I purchased from. My next statement will be arriving this week I expect
    anyway. Their attitude (no response) makes me want to dig my heals in
    to get my $42 back, but I'm not going to risk a bad credit report for
    the sake of $42.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 2, 2004
  13. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:57:56 +1300, "Mr Scebe" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I don't think it's that simple as I did actually choose the product I
    >>>paid for, it's just I choose the wrong one. It appears that getting a
    >>>subscription renew for NAV is not the same as getting a subscription
    >>>renew for the NAV component of NIS. The real problem I've had is
    >>>getting any responce out of them to sort this mistake out.

    >>It raises an interesting point. If you go into a shop and purchase
    >>something, then get it home and find it's the wrong item, 9/10 times you can
    >>take it back and get a refund.
    >>
    >>This doesn't apply to software, where almost invariably there are big signs
    >>in the shop that s/w is non-returnable. Unfortunately it seems that you will
    >>have to wear the cost of the goods that you didn't want.

    > The Warehouse are that way with CDs & DVDs now too.

    Fair enough too IMO

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 2, 2004