Symantec Security Alert shows after uninstallation of AV

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Changstein, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Changstein

    Changstein Guest

    Hi people,

    I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part of
    the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously and the
    fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of McAfee, and
    uninstalled NAV.

    Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
    telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring relocating it
    off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center correctly detects
    that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the Symantec alert window comes
    up every time the system boots or resumes.

    I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
    Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
    requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that will
    turn this alert window off?

    Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.

    JG
    Changstein, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Changstein

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Changstein wrote:
    > Hi people,
    >
    > I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part
    > of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously
    > and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of
    > McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
    >
    > Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
    > telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
    > relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
    > correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
    > Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or resumes.
    >
    > I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
    > Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
    > requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that
    > will turn this alert window off?
    >
    > Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > JG

    Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006

  3. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Changstein wrote:
    >> Hi people,
    >>
    >> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was part
    >> of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off mysteriously
    >> and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I installed a copy of
    >> McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
    >>
    >> Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
    >> telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
    >> relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
    >> correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
    >> Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or resumes.
    >>
    >> I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a copy of
    >> Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if Ghost
    >> requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a setting that
    >> will turn this alert window off?
    >>
    >> Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> JG

    > Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

    I'd agree, but Symantec AntiVirus Corporate is excellent for servers. It
    really does everything without any user intervention once it's set up.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Changstein

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Changstein wrote:
    >>> Hi people,
    >>>
    >>> I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite. Norton AV was
    >>> part of the system bundle. After a while it turned itself off
    >>> mysteriously and the fix said to re-install it. Instead, I
    >>> installed a copy of McAfee, and uninstalled NAV.
    >>>
    >>> Minor trouble is, the same persistent "security alert" window keeps
    >>> telling me that my virus protection is turned off, requiring
    >>> relocating it off-screen. In the control panel, the Security Center
    >>> correctly detects that McAfee AV exists and is on, but still the
    >>> Symantec alert window comes up every time the system boots or
    >>> resumes. I suspect that this is due to the Norton WMI update. I have a
    >>> copy
    >>> of Norton Ghost 9.0, which I want to keep -- does anyone know if
    >>> Ghost requires the WMI update? Alternately, anybody know of a
    >>> setting that will turn this alert window off?
    >>>
    >>> Any response will be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> JG

    >> Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.
    >>

    > I'd agree, but Symantec AntiVirus Corporate is excellent for servers.
    > It really does everything without any user intervention once it's set
    > up.

    I can't argue with that. We use the Enterprise version of McAfee at work -
    same results. And the client version on the workstations is not a memory hog
    like the retail versions.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Changstein

    Changstein Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in news:zyMwg.10$jK3.8
    @fe07.lga:

    > Uninstall EVERYTHING from Symantec/Norton. Then only reinstall Ghost.

    Thanks much.
    Changstein, Jul 23, 2006