Symantec/Norton Publisher certificates expire causing your computer to slow down and MS Word & Excel

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by David H. Lipman, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
    Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004010810205113

    Situation:
    This document describes this problem and how to fix it.

    Solution:
    Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.

    There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.

    To use the workaround

    1.. Close all programs.
    2.. Start Internet Explorer.
    3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
    4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
    5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Jan 9, 2004

  2. On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:56:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer slows down and
    >Microsoft Word and Excel will not start
    >
    >http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004010810205113
    >
    >Situation:
    >This document describes this problem and how to fix it.
    >
    >Solution:
    >Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.
    >
    >There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a permanent solution.
    >
    >To use the workaround
    >
    > 1.. Close all programs.
    > 2.. Start Internet Explorer.
    > 3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
    > 4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
    > 5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

    Oooh, interesting.

    Just recently my system ( W98se..IE6 ) has been exhibiting some
    strange behaviour.
    From time to time the screen simply slows to a crawl and eventually
    just freezes.
    It's been happening for about a week now, and I've been trying to
    figure out what on earth is causing it.

    My last NAV update was dated 30/12/03, so maybe there's half a chance
    that the problem came in with the last virus defs.

    Funnily enough, I run exactly the same setup on a laptop, which until
    last night had no problems at all...and then it did that screen freeze
    trick.

    I'll give your advice a go.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    Stephen Howard, Jan 9, 2004

  3. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > After updating to the January 7th or 8th virus definitions, your computer

    slows down and
    > Microsoft Word and Excel will not start
    >
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004010810205113
    >
    > Situation:
    > This document describes this problem and how to fix it.
    >
    > Solution:
    > Symantec is investigating the cause of the problem at this time.
    >
    > There is a workaround that will fix the problem until Symantec finds a

    permanent solution.

    > To use the workaround
    >
    > 1.. Close all programs.
    > 2.. Start Internet Explorer.
    > 3.. Click Tools > Internet Options.
    > 4.. On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the

    Security section.
    > 5.. Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option

    as shown here:

    Ah. It all starts to make sense, now - a load of (Verisign?) certificates
    expired, requiring updates to all sorts of software. Av didn't exactly
    spring to mind, though!

    Sun snuck out yet another version of (IIRC) 1.4.3 just before Christmas,
    which was how I found out.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 9, 2004
  4. On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:21:52 +0000, Stephen Howard
    <> wrote:

    >Oooh, interesting.
    >
    >Just recently my system ( W98se..IE6 ) has been exhibiting some
    >strange behaviour.
    >From time to time the screen simply slows to a crawl and eventually
    >just freezes.
    >It's been happening for about a week now, and I've been trying to
    >figure out what on earth is causing it.
    >
    >My last NAV update was dated 30/12/03, so maybe there's half a chance
    >that the problem came in with the last virus defs.
    >
    >Funnily enough, I run exactly the same setup on a laptop, which until
    >last night had no problems at all...and then it did that screen freeze
    >trick.
    >
    >I'll give your advice a go.

    Well, it ain't Norton :(

    Disabled the certificates thing, still getting the stalling.
    Will have to start checking the common apps.
    I'm suspecting Sygate or Pegasus at the moment.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    Stephen Howard, Jan 12, 2004