    Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?

    TIA,
    J R

    J R, Sep 6, 2004

  2. "J R" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A section of my organization uses Symantec Ghost (Enterprise, not sure what
    > version) to push OS upgrades to workstations. I constantly receive
    > complaints that "multicasting is not enabled on the network" and that this
    > is preventing the dissemination of the OS. I usually telnet into the
    > applicable switches/routers and verify that IGMP or CGMP is enabled (99% of
    > the time it is), but I'd like to give a more definative answer, possibly
    > even give the users something that they can perform to verify the existence
    > of multicasting throughout the network themselves.
    >
    > Is there any quick tests that can be used to verify whether or not
    > multicasting, igmp, cgmp, etc. has been enabled throughout a network?
    > Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?
    >
    > TIA,
    > J R

    In the past, I used a couple of utilities called UDPSEND and UDPRECV
    to test multicasting. I don't seem to have copies any more and I can't
    remember where I got them from (I think a guy from Cisco had copies on
    a disc). I did a very quick search, but couldn't find any downloadable
    copies (I seem to remember that they were *nix utilities, but it was
    over 3 years ago, so my memory is struggling a bit!!).

    Good luck

    Pete

    Pete Mainwaring, Sep 8, 2004

  3. (Pete Mainwaring) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "J R" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A section of my organization uses Symantec Ghost (Enterprise, not sure what
    > > version) to push OS upgrades to workstations. I constantly receive
    > > complaints that "multicasting is not enabled on the network" and that this
    > > is preventing the dissemination of the OS. I usually telnet into the
    > > applicable switches/routers and verify that IGMP or CGMP is enabled (99% of
    > > the time it is), but I'd like to give a more definative answer, possibly
    > > even give the users something that they can perform to verify the existence
    > > of multicasting throughout the network themselves.
    > >
    > > Is there any quick tests that can be used to verify whether or not
    > > multicasting, igmp, cgmp, etc. has been enabled throughout a network?
    > > Anything like pinging a known multicast group address...?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > J R

    > In the past, I used a couple of utilities called UDPSEND and UDPRECV
    > to test multicasting. I don't seem to have copies any more and I can't
    > remember where I got them from (I think a guy from Cisco had copies on
    > a disc). I did a very quick search, but couldn't find any downloadable
    > copies (I seem to remember that they were *nix utilities, but it was
    > over 3 years ago, so my memory is struggling a bit!!).
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Pete

    Are you looking for the multicast simulator for Windows or Linux, I
    have the multcast generator and receiver somewhere that I got a while
    back. They are small executables that run, one on the source of the
    multicast and a different one that runs on clients to subscribe to the
    multicast. Let me know if you need the windows one - I will try to dig
    it up.

    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips II, Sep 8, 2004