    Thats unacceptable as anyone can see. What has gone wrong and why would
    this occur if my router is 2821, which has dual gigabit ethernet ports.

    Thanks for your time.
    amfony, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan
    multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the
    difference between unicast and routed multicast?

    Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network
    (the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a
    very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though
    you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will
    introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.
    Mark Williams, May 1, 2006

  3. amfony

    Guest

    even though the 2821 may have gigabit ports, it is unlikely that it has
    that much throughput capabilities (125MB per second). it probably has
    about 60 Mbps of forwarding capacity, so one asks why the gigabit
    interfaces to begin with - a marketing ploy by Cisco to make you think
    you're getting a big boy router!

    Well you need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 to alleviate these
    problems... or ghost within on vlan !

    Mark Williams wrote:
    > Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan
    > multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the
    > difference between unicast and routed multicast?
    >
    > Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network
    > (the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a
    > very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though
    > you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will
    > introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.
    , May 1, 2006
  4. amfony

    MC Guest

    wrote:
    > even though the 2821 may have gigabit ports, it is unlikely that it has
    > that much throughput capabilities (125MB per second). it probably has
    > about 60 Mbps of forwarding capacity, so one asks why the gigabit
    > interfaces to begin with - a marketing ploy by Cisco to make you think
    > you're getting a big boy router!
    >
    > Well you need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 to alleviate these
    > problems... or ghost within on vlan !
    >
    > Mark Williams wrote:
    >
    >>Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan
    >>multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the
    >>difference between unicast and routed multicast?
    >>
    >>Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network
    >>(the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a
    >>very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though
    >>you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will
    >>introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.

    where did you getthose specs on the 2821 router ?

    We got one and actual throughput testing on our netowrk showed much
    higher than that.

    I would like to see what the listed performance specs are supposed to be,

    Thanks
    MC, May 1, 2006
  5. Walter Roberson, May 2, 2006
  6. amfony

    Guest

    > 2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s

    Hmmm, by my reading of the table the 2821 does:-

    2821 170,000 87.04

    (the clue is that these figures are all in the same row:))<g>

    The document states that this assumes min size Ethernet packets (512
    bits)

    If the average packet size is larger then the Mbps
    throughput will be larger.

    170,000 pps could represent something close to full duplex Gigabit
    with 12,500 bit packets.

    I have a 2811 here. Maybe I could give it a whirl.
    Probably not today though.
    , May 2, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >> 2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s

    >Hmmm, by my reading of the table the 2821 does:-

    > 2821 170,000 87.04

    >(the clue is that these figures are all in the same row:))<g>

    Opps, my eyes jumped lines when I was transcribing.
    Walter Roberson, May 2, 2006