    go
    into my Sent box and send the email again.

    Any help about this issue!!!

    madunix, Jun 18, 2007

  2. madunix wrote:
    > I've been having not a consistent problems with outgoing email.
    > Usually I get this
    > message every day once even if am not sending any mails:
    > "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    > because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    > 1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to
    > go
    > into my Sent box and send the email again.
    >

    > Any help about this issue!!!

    Can we skip right to the obvious? Why are you using a Symantec product?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 18, 2007

  3. madunix

    Aardvark Guest

    What the **** does that mean?

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)

    Aardvark, Jun 18, 2007
  4. madunix

    Vanguard Guest

    "madunix" <> wrote in message
    > I've been having not a consistent problems with outgoing email.
    > Usually I get this
    > message every day once even if am not sending any mails:
    > "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    > because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    > 1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to
    > go
    > into my Sent box and send the email again.
    >

    > Any help about this issue!!!

    Disable e-mail scanning by the anti-virus program.

    Vanguard, Jun 22, 2007
  5. "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "madunix" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been having not a consistent problems with outgoing email.
    >> Usually I get this
    >> message every day once even if am not sending any mails:
    >> "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    >> because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    >> 1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to
    >> go
    >> into my Sent box and send the email again.
    >>

    >> Any help about this issue!!!
    >>

    > Disable e-mail scanning by the anti-virus program.

    Is this a problem with Symantec or the email program? I've had a similar
    problem where the only option was to disable Symantec's email scanning.
    Symantec said they had gotten this fixed in the latest version, but they
    didn't. I feel very antsy about having no email scanning, as that's the
    main way that any viri could get onto my machine (I don't download stuff
    from the Internet unless I know what it is). They have this very involved
    portion of the Antivirus program that apparently doesn't work for almost
    everyone.

    --
    Brian J. Whiting

    Brian Whiting, Jun 22, 2007
  6. madunix

    Vanguard Guest

    "Brian Whiting" wrote in message
    > "Vanguard" wrote
    > Is this a problem with Symantec or the email program? I've had a
    > similar problem where the only option was to disable Symantec's email
    > scanning. Symantec said they had gotten this fixed in the latest
    > version, but they didn't. I feel very antsy about having no email
    > scanning, as that's the main way that any viri could get onto my
    > machine (I don't download stuff from the Internet unless I know what
    > it is). They have this very involved portion of the Antivirus program
    > that apparently doesn't work for almost everyone.

    E-mail scanning for viruses is duplicate work. It is redundant. ALL
    e-mail gets sent as plain text. There is no such thing as an executable
    e-mail. All attachments regardless of filetype are encoded into a
    plain-text MIME part within the body of the e-mail. That it appears as
    an attachment is how the e-mail client happens to present it to you in
    its GUI. An e-mail that contains an encoded attachment that is infected
    but in plain text is not executable and not a hazard. Even Symantec
    used to have a knowledgebase article mentioning that e-mail scanning was
    superfluous. The same on-access (real-time) scanner used to check
    e-mails is the same one used to check files when you create or modify
    them. So only when you actually save the attachment (i.e., the
    plain-text MIME part) into a binary file is the virus then a hazard but
    the same on-access scanner should then detect the infected file that you
    just created. E-mail scanning is like sifting sand through 2 sifters
    with the same size mesh: small grains gets through both meshes, large
    grains are blocked at either mesh. What gets past the e-mail scan will
    also get past the on-access scanner, and what gets caught by the e-mail
    scan will also get caught by the on-access scanner.

    The problem with e-mail scanning is that the e-mail client sends a DATA
    command to get the content of a message and expects it to start showing
    up soon. That is, if the mail server doesn't deliver some traffic soon
    then the e-mail client will timeout with an error. The on-access
    scanner has to interrogate the message before it can then send it to the
    e-mail client. Interrogation takes time. Sometimes it can take so long
    that the e-mail client times out waiting for that mail traffic to show
    up. In the version of Norton AV that I had a few years back, there was
    a buried option to enable a keep-alive ping to the e-mail client while
    Norton AV was interrogating the mail traffic. Basically Norton AV sent
    a bogus header to the e-mail client so it saw *something* show up and
    hopefully the e-mail client wouldn't timeout. Norton AV and several
    other AV products use a transparent proxy through which the mail traffic
    flows. Even if you disable e-mail scanning their proxy can become
    unresponsive which means you won't get any e-mails. The only choice
    then is to restart the AV program, if possible, reboot to load a new
    instance of their mail proxy, or see if the e-mail scanning feature can
    be uninstalled (or reinstall w/o the e-mail scanning option). With
    Norton AV, it took a lot of e-mails with Symantec to determine the
    proper load order of the processes that got killed to reload their proxy
    and other dependent processes. With CA's EzAntiVirus, I had to
    uninstall and reinstall their product so I could then select to NOT
    install the e-mail scanning feature (because it was installed as an LSP,
    layered service provider, the inserts into the TCP stack and is always
    there so if it goes dead then you don't get any e-mail). McAfee also
    has a mail proxy but I forget the name of its process (emproxy, maybe).

    Vanguard, Jun 22, 2007
  7. madunix

    Manny Guest

    madunix wrote:
    > I've been having not a consistent problems with outgoing email.
    > Usually I get this
    > message every day once even if am not sending any mails:
    > "Symantec

    There's a hint.

    > Any help about this issue!!!

    Reconfigure email scanning or simply dump Symantec altogether.

    Manny, Jun 25, 2007