Symantec Email Proxy ???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I've been using Symantec's Norton AntiVirus and other security programs for
    years without any complaint.

    I recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2006 (including Norton
    AntiVirus 12.2.0.13). Ever since the upgrade, I've been having persistent
    but not consistent problems with outgoing email. Usually I get this
    message: "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to go
    into my Sent box and send the email again.

    The Norton website says that this is a problem between me and my server.
    Yet, the website seems to take a "little" responsibility, as it also says it
    might help to turn off the outgoing-email virus scan. I've done that, but
    it doesn't prevent the problem at all.

    Before this upgrade, I do not believe my server EVER rejected the sender or
    an email. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an answer?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Jim Beaver

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:10:45 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
    <> wrote:

    >I've been using Symantec's Norton AntiVirus and other security programs for
    >years without any complaint.
    >
    >I recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2006 (including Norton
    >AntiVirus 12.2.0.13). Ever since the upgrade, I've been having persistent
    >but not consistent problems with outgoing email. Usually I get this
    >message: "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    >because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    >1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to go
    >into my Sent box and send the email again.
    >
    >The Norton website says that this is a problem between me and my server.
    >Yet, the website seems to take a "little" responsibility, as it also says it
    >might help to turn off the outgoing-email virus scan. I've done that, but
    >it doesn't prevent the problem at all.
    >
    >Before this upgrade, I do not believe my server EVER rejected the sender or
    >an email. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an answer?

    Why bother scanning outgoing mail? Disable that option.

    Evan Platt, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 03:10:45 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been using Symantec's Norton AntiVirus and other security programs
    >>for
    >>years without any complaint.
    >>
    >>I recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2006 (including Norton
    >>AntiVirus 12.2.0.13). Ever since the upgrade, I've been having persistent
    >>but not consistent problems with outgoing email. Usually I get this
    >>message: "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was unable to be sent
    >>because your mail server rejected the sender: 451 timeout (#4.4.3)
    >>1003,7" Other times I get something similar, but with instructions to go
    >>into my Sent box and send the email again.
    >>
    >>The Norton website says that this is a problem between me and my server.
    >>Yet, the website seems to take a "little" responsibility, as it also says
    >>it
    >>might help to turn off the outgoing-email virus scan. I've done that, but
    >>it doesn't prevent the problem at all.
    >>
    >>Before this upgrade, I do not believe my server EVER rejected the sender
    >>or
    >>an email. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an answer?

    > Why bother scanning outgoing mail? Disable that option.

    As I said a couple of paragraphs up, I did that. It didn't change anything.
    Still getting the problem.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Jim Beaver

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Beaver wrote:
    > I've been using Symantec's Norton AntiVirus and other security
    > programs for years without any complaint.

    I don't know anything about Symantec/Norton AV or other security.

    > I recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2006 (including Norton
    > AntiVirus 12.2.0.13).

    I hear the 2006 version even of just the AV is full of junk that causes
    problems.

    > Ever since the upgrade, I've been having
    > persistent but not consistent problems with outgoing email. Usually
    > I get this message: "Symantec Email Proxy: Your email message was
    > unable to be sent because your mail server rejected the sender: 451
    > timeout (#4.4.3) 1003,7"

    Notice what is happening there. For reasons unknown, your *outgoing*
    mail is having to deal with an extra step of flowing thru' a proxy on
    the way to your server. Why is that? I wouldn't be using a piece of
    software which was doing that for unknown reason. It is like employing
    a complex 'black box' which is performing unknown and unwanted alleged
    services which are of no use to me and which are causing me problems. I
    would bail on the app.

    How am I supposed to troubleshoot what is causing this proxy
    roblem? -- which proxy I don't even want and I can't even analyze its
    dialogue with the server, because unlike my mailuser agent which can
    keep a log of the transaction, I suspect that this black box keeps its
    transaction a secret from me, since I wasn't even the one who enabled
    the proxy in the first place.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 4, 2006