Symantec definitions 4 April 2006

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 5, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Admins Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by Symantec?

    They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
    can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
    symantec,

    Regards,

    Admin

    * www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
    * Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels
    Admins, Oct 5, 2006

  3. "Admins" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

    Symantec?

    > They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
    > can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
    > symantec,
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Admin

    Thank you.
    I could download them a while after writing this post.
    I have some other questions:
    1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98
    2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
    would I need?
    3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?
    4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
    to and from websites?
    5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
    means by invoice?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你 ÑпаÑибо
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 5, 2006

    > "Admins" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

    > Symantec?
    > >
    > > They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
    > > can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
    > > symantec,
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Admin

    > Thank you.
    > I could download them a while after writing this post.
    > I have some other questions:
    > 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98
    > 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
    > would I need?
    > 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?
    > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
    > to and from websites?
    > 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
    > means by invoice?

    I am also interested to know about other Security systems than Symantec, not
    only by Symantec.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你 ÑпаÑибо
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 5, 2006
  5. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message

    > "Admins" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:15:41 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can you load the virus definitions from the 4th of April 2006 by

    > Symantec?
    >>
    >> They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater that
    >> can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
    >> symantec,
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Admin

    > Thank you.
    > I could download them a while after writing this post.
    > I have some other questions:
    > 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98

    I gave up on then a few years ago

    > 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and Firewalls
    > would I need?

    It is important to understand that linux is conceptually different from
    windows. It is virtually impossible to have viruses, trojans or whatever
    install themselves on a linux system. Things only happen when you tell them
    to happen. This is different from the windows concept of allow everything so
    that it is easy for the user. Security is built in, rather than added on

    Most distributions have a firewall built in.

    > 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

    Consider how long it took you to learn and use windows. I can not compare
    this for myself, since I started using jcl on an IBM 360 back in the late
    60's, and went through cp/m and dos.
    For everyday working, the KDE desktop functions much like windows.
    For system maintenance, you must learn to use abut a dozen command line
    programs and utilities.

    If you choose a good distribution (and I will not start the 'which one'
    debate) you can be productive the same day.

    One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
    about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the linux
    dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
    available.

    The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
    install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will learns
    very quickly how to do it.

    > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely files
    > to and from websites?

    There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
    more for the server than the client
    Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients
    Linux distributions have several built in

    > 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
    > means by invoice?

    Linux is free

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 5, 2006
  6. "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Admins" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > > Symantec?
    > >>
    > >> They have a feature on their web site called an intelligent updater

    that
    > >> can load them in for you along with other updates, if you choose to use
    > >> symantec,
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Admin

    > > Thank you.
    > > I could download them a while after writing this post.
    > > I have some other questions:
    > > 1) Which softwares does Symantec sell for Windows 98

    > I gave up on then a few years ago

    Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

    > > 2) If I changed from Windows 98 into Linux, which Antivirus and

    Firewalls
    > > would I need?

    > It is important to understand that linux is conceptually different from
    > windows. It is virtually impossible to have viruses, trojans or whatever
    > install themselves on a linux system. Things only happen when you tell

    them
    > to happen. This is different from the windows concept of allow everything

    so
    > that it is easy for the user. Security is built in, rather than added on

    It sounds good.
    But what about softwares?
    For example, are there text editors?
    What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    platform?
    Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?
    I have myself a one-man business

    > Most distributions have a firewall built in.

    Ok
    > > 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

    > Consider how long it took you to learn and use windows.

    I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things but
    how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how different
    it is compared with Windows

    I can not compare
    > this for myself, since I started using jcl on an IBM 360 back in the late
    > 60's, and went through cp/m and dos.

    I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not that
    much, so it would probably take longer for me.

    > For everyday working, the KDE desktop functions much like windows.
    > For system maintenance, you must learn to use abut a dozen command line
    > programs and utilities.
    >
    > If you choose a good distribution (and I will not start the 'which one'
    > debate) you can be productive the same day.
    >
    > One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
    > about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the linux
    > dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
    > available.

    Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

    > The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
    > install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will

    learns
    > very quickly how to do it.
    >
    > > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely

    files
    > > to and from websites?

    > There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
    > more for the server than the client
    > Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

    IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
    How do I use them as ftp clients?
    > Linux distributions have several built in

    Ok
    > > 5) Is is possible to buy this software without using credit cards, that
    > > means by invoice?
    > >

    > Linux is free

    Is it free for commercial use as well?
    I have a one-man business.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你 ÑпаÑибо
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006

> [...]

    > > One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
    > > about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the

    linux
    > > dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
    > > available.

    > Do you mean an extra external hard drive?
    >
    > > The major difference you will find is that it is a bit more difficult to
    > > install new applications in linux than it is in windows, but you will

    > learns
    > > very quickly how to do it.
    > >
    > > > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely

    > files
    > > > to and from websites?

    > > There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
    > > more for the server than the client
    > > Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

    By the way,
    it almost slipped my mind.
    I need download and upload even files ín Chinese and Russian, not only
    files in the Western European languages.
    Are IE and/or Netscape good for that?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你 ÑпаÑибо
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > It sounds good.
    > But what about softwares?

    Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
    $ locate bin/ | wc -l
    3818

    Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.

    > For example, are there text editors?

    Yep, lots.

    > What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    > platform?

    Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?

    > Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

    Yes. private or commercial or both.

    Maybe these will help.
    http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Application_Crossover_Chart
    http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
    Bit Twister, Oct 6, 2006
  9. This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

    >> > I gave up on then a few years ago

    >> Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

    I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here

    >> For example, are there text editors?

    Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do with
    MS Office, also free

    >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    >> platform?

    The Gimp (also free) is excellent

    >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

    I use it as a workstation, file & print server, and as a web server - 3
    different machines.

    >> I have myself a one-man business

    would be well suited to that

    >> I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things but
    >> how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how

    > different
    >> it is compared with Windows

    From a graphical point of view, I would describe it as 'much like windows'
    in that you can navigate, drag & drop, and open files with their related
    application in a very similar manner

    What is different is
    - the concept of separate user accounts & separate spaces, properly
    implemented and secure
    - the need to use the admin account to install programs, and the need to
    never use the admin account to do any application type work or play games

    >> I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not
    >> that
    >> much, so it would probably take longer for me.

    command documentation is excellent, should be fairly easy

    >> > One consideration for an easy transition is to get a second hard drive,
    >> > about 8 gigs is enough, put it in your system as slave, and use the

    > linux
    >> > dual boot option. You can learn linux but still have your win98 system
    >> > available.

    >> Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

    That is one possibility, but some computers will not boot from a usb device,
    so I do not recommend that.

    Every pc these days allows 4 ide devices. My system has

    Primary ide
    - master drive - 250 gig maxtor with linux, multi boot loader, then win 98
    and my xp experimental install. For both of these I can test things then
    reformat & reinstall if I screw things up
    - slave drive - 160 gig WD with my 'functional' install of xp, I am typing
    on right now
    This is for the xp things I have no choice about (yet) which I can not
    run in win98
    Secondary ide
    - dvd reader
    - dvd burner

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 6, 2006
  10. ">> > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely
    > files
    >> > to and from websites?

    >> There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue much
    >> more for the server than the client
    >> Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

    > IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
    > How do I use them as ftp clients?

    Here I am promoting linux and telling you how to use IE - shame on me
    for IE, instead of http://www.mydomain.net you just type in
    ftp://ftp.mydomain.net and IE will switch to another of its many
    personalities in its attempt to be all things to all people.
    It is not great but it works ok. The 'get' and 'put' functions are not
    exactly intuitive, but they work.

    As long as the files are properly structured ( and compressed, if
    applicable) it should not matter what 'language' they are in.
    This would apply to any properly structured ftp client or server

    >> Linux is free

    > Is it free for commercial use as well?

    Just plain free, use it as you wish. No 'free for educational use only'
    stuff there.

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 6, 2006
  11. "Bit Twister" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >> It sounds good.
    >> But what about softwares?

    > Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
    > $ locate bin/ | wc -l
    > 3818
    >
    > Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.
    >
    >> For example, are there text editors?

    > Yep, lots.
    >
    >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    >> platform?

    > Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?
    >
    >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

    > Yes. private or commercial or both.
    >
    > Maybe these will help.
    > http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Application_Crossover_Chart
    > http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

    Is there a penalty for posting three replies in the same thread on the same
    day? I hope not

    Nice to see a familiar name here.

    to Luigi - Bit Twister has been a great source of help in the Mandriva
    newsgroup.
    His support, and many others in that group is a key reason for me
    recommending that distribution

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 6, 2006
  12. "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

    > >> Which one? Symantec or Windows 98?

    > I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here
    >
    > >> For example, are there text editors?

    > Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do

    with
    > MS Office, also free

    What about customers who would need a translation and send
    a text in a Word document?
    Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    Windows XP for example.
    But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
    Could you open it by using OpenOffice?
    What if your customer does not use Linux?

    > >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    > >> platform?

    > The Gimp (also free) is excellent
    >
    > >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

    > I use it as a workstation, file & print server, and as a web server - 3
    > different machines.
    >
    > >> I have myself a one-man business

    > would be well suited to that
    >

    > >> I think that it probably took some months to learn the basical things

    but
    > >> how long it could take to learn and use Linux depends much on how

    > > different
    > >> it is compared with Windows
    > >>

    > From a graphical point of view, I would describe it as 'much like windows'
    > in that you can navigate, drag & drop, and open files with their related
    > application in a very similar manner
    >
    > What is different is
    > - the concept of separate user accounts & separate spaces, properly
    > implemented and secure
    > - the need to use the admin account to install programs, and the need to
    > never use the admin account to do any application type work or play games
    >

    > >> I share your opinion. I have learnt a little bit about MS DOS but not
    > >> that
    > >> much, so it would probably take longer for me.

    > command documentation is excellent, should be fairly easy

    drive,

    > > linux

    system

    > >> Do you mean an extra external hard drive?

    > That is one possibility, but some computers will not boot from a usb

    device,
    > so I do not recommend that.

    If I needed to buy another PC to use Linux, this change would be much more
    expensive...
    At present I use 2 computers. I could switch from Windows 98 into Linux at
    one and leave
    Windows XP in the other. I already have an external hard drive.
    If I needed buy another PC to run Linux, it would probably not be worth.
    I am basically looking for a solution to use the resources which are already
    available to me in the best and least expensive way.
    And, by the way does this solution suits to transfer files to and from the
    server if the website is sent over https?

    > Every pc these days allows 4 ide devices. My system has
    >
    > Primary ide
    > - master drive - 250 gig maxtor with linux, multi boot loader, then win 98
    > and my xp experimental install. For both of these I can test things then
    > reformat & reinstall if I screw things up
    > - slave drive - 160 gig WD with my 'functional' install of xp, I am typing
    > on right now
    > This is for the xp things I have no choice about (yet) which I can not
    > run in win98
    > Secondary ide
    > - dvd reader
    > - dvd burner
    >
    > Stuart

    What do you mean by "ide"?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你 ÑпаÑибо
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006

    > "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > This post is getting to be rather large so i will trim it

    > > I gave up on Symantec, I still run win98 on 4 machines here

    > > Several built in, OpenOffice will do pretty much everything you can do

    > with
    > > MS Office, also free

    > What about customers who would need a translation and send
    > a text in a Word document?
    > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    > Windows XP for example.
    > But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
    > Could you open it by using OpenOffice?
    > What if your customer does not use Linux?

    The following is probably better formulated:
    thank you very much for your answer.
    What about customers who needed a translation and sent
    a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
    needs?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  14. "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > ">> > 4) Which FTP software do you recommend to upload and download safely
    > > files
    > >>
    > >> There are dozens of FTP clients out there - FTP is a security issue

    much
    > >> more for the server than the client
    > >> Both Netscape and IE will function as ftp clients

    > > IE 6.0 or IE 7.0 or both?
    > > How do I use them as ftp clients?

    > Here I am promoting linux and telling you how to use IE - shame on me
    > for IE, instead of http://www.mydomain.net you just type in
    > ftp://ftp.mydomain.net and IE will switch to another of its many
    > personalities in its attempt to be all things to all people.
    > It is not great but it works ok. The 'get' and 'put' functions are not
    > exactly intuitive, but they work.
    >
    > As long as the files are properly structured ( and compressed, if
    > applicable) it should not matter what 'language' they are in.
    > This would apply to any properly structured ftp client or server
    >
    > >> Linux is free

    > > Is it free for commercial use as well?

    > Just plain free, use it as you wish.

    Fine.
    What about SSL?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  15. "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Bit Twister" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >> It sounds good.
    > >> But what about softwares?

    > > Well, let's count the files just in bin directories
    > > $ locate bin/ | wc -l
    > > 3818
    > >
    > > Is 3,818+ programs enough software for you.
    > >
    > >> For example, are there text editors?

    > > Yep, lots.
    > >
    > >> What can you use to resize photos and the like if you work on a Linux
    > >> platform?

    > > Command line/batch/cron or interactive gui interface?
    > >
    > >> Is Linux only for private users or even for commercial use?

    > > Yes. private or commercial or both.
    > >
    > > Maybe these will help.
    > > http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Application_Crossover_Chart
    > > http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

    > Is there a penalty for posting three replies in the same thread on the

    same
    > day? I hope not
    >
    > Nice to see a familiar name here.
    >
    > to Luigi - Bit Twister has been a great source of help in the Mandriva
    > newsgroup.

    Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
    What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

    > His support, and many others in that group is a key reason for me
    > recommending that distribution

    Are you sure that there are not any requirements to the use of Linux?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    谢谢你, ÑпаÑибо, tack sÃ¥ mycket!
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 6, 2006
  16. I have condensed the three responses into one

    > What about SSL?

    I don't need SSL at this time so I have not learned how to configure it, but
    it is available in linux for both client and server ends.

    > Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
    > What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

    alt.os.linux.mandriva drop in and take a look

    > What about customers who would need a translation and send
    > a text in a Word document?

    OpenOffice will work in MS Word97 format, and many others
    As I understand the situation, linux handles international languages and
    fonts very well

    > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    > Windows XP for example.

    Yes, but dual boot on one machine will also accomplish that.
    These days, it is not expensive to have a separate computer. For business
    application linux does not need anywhere near the resources that xp does, so
    used machine will do just fine.

    > But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
    > Could you open it by using OpenOffice?

    As above, yes

    > What if your customer does not use Linux?

    Does not matter - it is the file format that matters.

    re-quote from another reply

    > The following is probably better formulated:
    > thank you very much for your answer.
    > What about customers who needed a translation and sent
    > a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
    > needs?

    answered above

    > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    > Windows XP for example.

    In terms of documents, I don't believe that xp can do anything that win98
    and linux can not do

    What do you mean by "ide"?

    My age is showing here
    Without getting technical, ide has been the accepted standard for hard
    drives and cd-rom or dvd devices since the early 90's
    40 conductor ribbon cables, controllers built into the motherboard
    More modern references include ATA and SATA, and a host of improvements.

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 6, 2006
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:39:53 GMT, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?

    alt.os.linux.mandriva

    You can search for whatever using

    > What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

    It is for helping people with Mandriva Linux problems.

    > Are you sure that there are not any requirements to the use of Linux?

    At least 6 gig if free disk space, hopefully 256 meg, or more, of
    memory. Some effort on your part.

    Regardless of which linux you try, do read

    As for requirements, Create about 6 gig of free space and you can dual
    boot from a windows box. Want to see install screen shots

    http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux/101/en/Starter.html/drakx-intro.html
    Bit Twister, Oct 6, 2006
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Melic Guest

    > 3) How long does it take to learn and use Linux?

    There is nothing like seeing it by yourself, I reccomend you
    get a Linux live CD to try it out without installing.

    If you register with Ubuntu website they will even send you
    one free of charge.

    My choice of FTP http://www.filezilla.org

    Freeware,open source, and supportsSFTP
    --
    Email:
    Decrypt with Caesar ROT13
    Melic, Oct 7, 2006
  19. "Stuart Miller" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > I have condensed the three responses into one
    >
    > > What about SSL?

    > I don't need SSL at this time so I have not learned how to configure it,

    but
    > it is available in linux for both client and server ends.
    >

    > > Where is the Mandriva newsgroup?
    > > What does the Mandriva newsgroup deal with?

    > alt.os.linux.mandriva drop in and take a look
    >
    > > What about customers who would need a translation and send
    > > a text in a Word document?

    > OpenOffice will work in MS Word97 format, and many others
    > As I understand the situation, linux handles international languages and
    > fonts very well
    >

    > > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    > > Windows XP for example.

    > Yes, but dual boot on one machine will also accomplish that.
    > These days, it is not expensive to have a separate computer. For business
    > application linux does not need anywhere near the resources that xp does,

    so
    > used machine will do just fine.
    >
    > > But what if you get a text which is in Word 97, for example?
    > > Could you open it by using OpenOffice?

    > As above, yes
    >
    > > What if your customer does not use Linux?

    > Does not matter - it is the file format that matters.
    >
    > re-quote from another reply
    >
    > > The following is probably better formulated:
    > > thank you very much for your answer.
    > > What about customers who needed a translation and sent
    > > a text in a Word document? How could I possibly meet his/her formatting
    > > needs?

    > answered above
    >
    > > Well, an option might be to have a PC with Linux and another with
    > > Windows XP for example.

    > In terms of documents, I don't believe that xp can do anything that win98
    > and linux can not do
    >

    > What do you mean by "ide"?
    >
    > My age is showing here
    > Without getting technical, ide has been the accepted standard for hard
    > drives and cd-rom or dvd devices since the early 90's
    > 40 conductor ribbon cables, controllers built into the motherboard
    > More modern references include ATA and SATA, and a host of improvements.
    >
    > Stuart

    I had a quick look at the Linux website and, as far as I understand, Linux
    can do approximately
    95% of what Windows can do. I suppose that a good solution might be to go on
    working with
    Windows XP on one computer and switch from Windows 98 into Linux on the
    other, because Microsoft does not support Windows 98 any longer.
    But the PC where I use Windows 98 does not have a large harddisk. It can
    only contain about
    4 GB, I think.
    Is that enough?
    Besides, how would I send my posts here, by using Linux?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 9, 2006

  20. >
    > I had a quick look at the Linux website and, as far as I understand,
    > Linux
    > can do approximately
    > 95% of what Windows can do. I suppose that a good solution might be to go
    > on
    > working with
    > Windows XP on one computer and switch from Windows 98 into Linux on the
    > other, because Microsoft does not support Windows 98 any longer.
    > But the PC where I use Windows 98 does not have a large harddisk. It can
    > only contain about
    > 4 GB, I think.
    > Is that enough?

    I would not bother to keep win98 active if you have xp running. So far I
    have found only a handful of applications which run in win98 and not in xp.

    4 gigs is light for linux, but will do if you only do a workstation install,
    no servers, games or development.
    I would look for a 20 to 40 gig used drive, or use all the space, and
    eliminate win98.

    > Besides, how would I send my posts here, by using Linux?

    I have chosen to keep the e-mail and newsgroups on the xp machine, but I can
    do both from linux using kmail and knode. There are many other mail and news
    clients available.

    Drop in on the mandriva newsgroup and we can continue the discussion there.

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Oct 9, 2006