Symantec Client Security

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gibnews, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Gibnews

    Gibnews Guest

    I have a new thinkpad with This pre-installed on XP/Pro

    Running the uninstall, it hung up with a messages that I did not have
    sufficient authority to cancel a process (although I am the
    administrator) Now its half in and half out and the entry in the
    installed software list has gone.

    Symantec liveupdate won't uninstall because it say I need to uninstall
    the other software first.

    40 mins talking to the Symentec chat system confirms why I don't want
    their shitty products anywhere near a computer I use.

    Checking Google finds 'Norton_removal_tool' which requires that I
    uninstall the program first using the control panel add and remove
    programs feature, which does not show it to be there.

    It was suggested I need to pay Symantec some money for support and to
    call their overseas support line, no doubt to enjoy music on hold from
    India. Don't do extortion.

    If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of this rubbish, and
    links to a good cleaner, let me know. I'd also like to thank their
    support staff for confirming that their service is as good as the
    product.

    Gibnews, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Gibnews

    Todd H. Guest

    Gibnews <> writes:

    > I have a new thinkpad with This pre-installed on XP/Pro
    >
    > Running the uninstall, it hung up with a messages that I did not have
    > sufficient authority to cancel a process (although I am the
    > administrator) Now its half in and half out and the entry in the
    > installed software list has gone.
    >
    > Symantec liveupdate won't uninstall because it say I need to uninstall
    > the other software first.
    >
    > 40 mins talking to the Symentec chat system confirms why I don't want
    > their shitty products anywhere near a computer I use.
    >
    > Checking Google finds 'Norton_removal_tool' which requires that I
    > uninstall the program first using the control panel add and remove
    > programs feature, which does not show it to be there.

    I've used Norton removal on several occasions and did not need to use
    add/remove programs anywhere. Make sure you're getting the tool from
    Symantec. This link is what I ahve used in the past:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/