    can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    an illegal operation. Very strange.

    , Aug 7, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > system think it was a new installation but not anymore.

    There is nothing wrong with them wanting to stop freeloaders. I also
    don't think they are doing it via spyware*, but instead a registry entry
    that isn't removed by the uninstall.

    > But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    > can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    > an illegal operation. Very strange.

    That is likely a competely different issue, bad script on their site,
    something corrupted in your local cache, could be any number of things.

    /steve
    * I'm not a huge Symantec fan and haven't used any of their software in
    at least six years.
    --
    Free Privacy Resources
    http://www.cotse.net/resources.html

    Stephen K. Gielda, Aug 7, 2005

  3. GregRo Guest

    On 7 Aug 2005 14:38:13 -0700, wrote:

    >Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    >put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    >Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    >system think it was a new installation but not anymore.
    >But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    >can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    >an illegal operation. Very strange.

    You got to do a full cleaning of the registry and hard drive from safe
    mode. When you install this from windows do not be connected to the
    Internet. Keep disconnected from the Internet. Install Norton's
    normally that reboot. When the registration screen comes up, chose by
    mail. Then reboot. Don't use automatic updates. Use the updates
    from symantec website. I no longer use Norton's products except for
    ghost. This will not work now with the activation scheme, however it
    will work for older products.

    Greg Ro

    GregRo, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Notan Guest

    "Stephen K. Gielda" wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > > put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > > Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > > system think it was a new installation but not anymore.

    > There is nothing wrong with them wanting to stop freeloaders. I also
    > don't think they are doing it via spyware*, but instead a registry entry
    > that isn't removed by the uninstall.

    Actually, I think it's a file that's installed, with a name you'd never suspect.

    On numerous occasions, with various kinds of software, I've (legitimately) had
    to uninstall and reinstall. When doing so, I always make it a point to restore
    a saved registry copy. And, almost every time, the software *still* knows when
    I did my original installation.

    Sneaky, aren't they? <g>

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Kerodo Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > system think it was a new installation but not anymore.
    > But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    > can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    > an illegal operation. Very strange.

    There's nothing wrong with them wanting to be paid for their product,
    but why even bother using Norton when there's so many other superior
    products, many free?

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Jim Guest

    wrote on 8/7/2005 5:38 PM:
    > Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > system think it was a new installation but not anymore.
    > But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    > can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    > an illegal operation. Very strange.

    Just use Avast. The personal edition is free.

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Guest

    As an experiment I've just connected up my spare computer which has
    never had Norton installed before, I installed Norton 2000 for the
    first time and am still unable to download the latest definitions. Not
    only that but I still can't access their main site. So they must be
    blocking IP addresses.

    , Aug 8, 2005
  8. Donnie Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > system think it was a new installation but not anymore.
    > But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    > can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    > an illegal operation. Very strange.

    ##########################
    It's all OK with me. They would have to pay me at least $500 to use a
    Symantec product. Steve is probably right about them using a registry key
    that doesn't get deleted during an uninstall. I'm sure they would want you
    to access their web site just in case you decide to pay.
    donnie

    Donnie, Aug 9, 2005
  9. ParanoiaPlus Guest

    Hi Pullgees ...

    Could you give us some examples of the free ones?

    TIA

    ParanoiaPlus, Aug 9, 2005
  10. Guest

    ParanoiaPlus wrote:
    > Hi Pullgees ...
    >
    > Could you give us some examples of the free ones?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:11:49 -0700, Kerodo <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Never paid a subscription ,never registered? Well it looks like they
    > >> put a stop to free-loaders who uninstall and then reinstall their
    > >> Norton software when subsription time comes. This used to make their
    > >> system think it was a new installation but not anymore.
    > >> But can they stop a free-loader accessing their main website as well, I
    > >> can't access it? I get an Iexplore message telling me I've performed
    > >> an illegal operation. Very strange.

    > >There's nothing wrong with them wanting to be paid for their product,
    > >but why even bother using Norton when there's so many other superior
    > >products, many free?

    I was recommended AVAST, and am now using it. No complaints, it found
    five viruses that Norton didn't. Of course that is not to say that
    Norton wouldn't find viruses that Avast could not find. The home
    edition is free with free updates.
    But I still have this mysterious problem of not being able to access
    Symantec's main site via a search engine or typing their address in the
    URL field in Explorer. It doesn't really matter, it's just that it is
    a puzzle that no one can tell me about. I can only think that whatever
    Symantec put in my computer to stop me downloading the latest
    definition updates is the same thing that is blocking me from entering
    their web site.

    , Aug 9, 2005
  11. Kerodo Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi Pullgees ...
    >
    > Could you give us some examples of the free ones?
    >
    > TIA

    The main one I had in mind was Avast Home Edition. It's quite good, in
    fact I much prefer it to Norton or other paid offerings. The other two
    main AVs that are free would be AntiVir and AVG. I have used both of
    those, but much prefer Avast.

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo, Aug 10, 2005