Symantec Antivirus8 and corrupted profiles

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Scott Millington, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Greetings!

    I have been lurking here a while and was going to keep lurking but
    something is happening that forces me out of hiding (I hope this is
    the right group since the most applicable groups I have access to are
    dead).

    SAV8 (Formerly known as NortonAntivirus) has a facility called Live
    Update. There were apparently corrupted virus definition files dated
    earlier than "2003-06-20 rev 4" (the corrupted file was published
    after the 18th) cause the Symantec Antivirus Client to stop
    functioning but it does not give any warnings except a discreet
    exclamation point in the task bar.

    Oddly enough there isn't anything about this on symantec.com but all
    clients (Globally) and about 75% of servers were compromised requiring
    peak time reparation (and the trend is growing if the NOC's are to be
    believed).

    Of course my advice is that *everyone* who uses SAV8 (Formerly known
    as NortonAntivirus) should immediately verify they are properly
    protected.

    Scott Millington ()
    http://www.haapis.net
    ***
    I want to do something more relaxing -- like dismantle live nuclear
    weapons. - White House press secretary Ari Fleischer

    Scott Millington, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Scott Millington

    Nelson Tam Guest

    YES!! It happened on my company's computer last Saturday.!

    When I installed the NAV8 Corporate Edition on one of the PCs, the NAV stops
    running. I tried to scan the computer, but it quited. I thought that was a
    viurs or something. Later, maybe 10 minutes or so, NAV came back normal!
    (and it's normal now, I just checked.)

    I thought that this block-out period is normal while updating virus
    definition. But now Scott noticed the same symptom, I think Norton should
    give us a reason.

    Anyone with the same experience? Let's share!

    Nelson Tam, Jun 25, 2003