    I think that I'd pay these guys for their product if their
    phone support policy wasn't so outrageous.

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 25, 2004

  2. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:40:15 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey, can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    >the free version of Sygate Firewall?
    >
    >So far, I like it. Much easier to use for a non-"hacker"
    >than Kerio (which is an excellent product). It works, too.
    >They both build rules with you, which I really like. I find
    >Sygate easier to understand, configure, and it handles
    >really well. The integrated backtrace and whois functions
    >work seamlessly, too. This is a major advantage because it
    >really helps to know who was knocking at your door. Just
    >today, I found that it was my very own (wonderful) ISP, so I
    >quickly set up a rule to pass that traffic. Marvelous.
    >
    >I think that I'd pay these guys for their product if their
    >phone support policy wasn't so outrageous.
    >
    >Richard

    I gave sygate a 6 month try and except for one annoying thing, i
    really liked it. I will go back if and when this one issue is
    resolved. The problem i ran into was that it sometimes took as much as
    30 seconds once logged into windows to receive an IP from my cable/dsl
    router. There was a definite delay before networking was fully
    enabled.

    I switched back to Kerio 2.1.5 (which i have been using for a long
    time) and the problem went away. On the next release of SPF I will
    give it another shot.

    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 25, 2004

  3. > I gave sygate a 6 month try and except for one annoying
    thing, i
    > really liked it. I will go back if and when this one issue

    is
    > resolved. The problem i ran into was that it sometimes

    took as much as
    > 30 seconds once logged into windows to receive an IP from

    my cable/dsl
    > router. There was a definite delay before networking was

    fully
    > enabled.

    What's an "IP?"
    I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    delay, I think.

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Richard Steinfeld

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hey, can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    >the free version of Sygate Firewall?

    I've never had a problem with it. Worked right out of the box. Liked
    it so much I bought the pro version.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jan 25, 2004
  5. Richard Steinfeld

    donutbandit Guest

    "Richard Steinfeld" <> wrote in

    > What's an "IP?"
    > I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    > delay, I think.

    *sigh*

    You're advocating one firewall over another in here and you don't even know
    what an IP is.

    donutbandit, Jan 25, 2004
  6. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:49:48 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
    <> wrote:

    >> I gave sygate a 6 month try and except for one annoying

    >thing, i
    >> really liked it. I will go back if and when this one issue

    >is
    >> resolved. The problem i ran into was that it sometimes

    >took as much as
    >> 30 seconds once logged into windows to receive an IP from

    >my cable/dsl
    >> router. There was a definite delay before networking was

    >fully
    >> enabled.
    >>

    >What's an "IP?"
    >I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    >delay, I think.
    >
    >Richard
    >
    >> I switched back to Kerio 2.1.5 (which i have been using

    >for a long
    >> time) and the problem went away. On the next release of

    >SPF I will
    >> give it another shot.

    IP as in IP address from my DHCP Server. If you are not using
    networking why do you want a personal firewall?

    NoneOfBusiness, Jan 26, 2004
  7. "donutbandit" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Steinfeld" <> wrote

    in

    > > What's an "IP?"
    > > I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    > > delay, I think.

    > *sigh*
    >
    > You're advocating one firewall over another in here and

    you don't even know
    > what an IP is.

    *sigh*
    Dear donut,
    I asked for an explanation, not a put-down.
    I am well-versed in software usability and have worked in
    that capacity.
    Sygate's usability is very well crafted. If I advocated
    anything, that's where they hit the bullseye. Can you do as
    well?

    You have demonstrated your superiority, thank you.
    Unfortunately, in proving your status, you did not answer
    the question. One may be able to evaluate performace through
    experience without being in on all the lingo, especially the
    jargon. For example, I probably know the functions of which
    you speak and which I ask, perhaps under other names,
    perhaps their proper designations. Usability expertise is
    something that most programmers are sorely lacking.

    Perhaps, sir donut, you might benefit from spending some
    time in charm school.

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 26, 2004
  8. Richard Steinfeld

    Ben Measures Guest

    Richard Steinfeld wrote:
    > "donutbandit" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Richard Steinfeld" <> wrote

    > in

    >>>What's an "IP?"
    >>>I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    >>>delay, I think.

    >>*sigh*
    >>
    >>You're advocating one firewall over another in here and

    > you don't even know
    >
    >>what an IP is.
    >>

    > *sigh*
    > Dear donut,
    > I asked for an explanation, not a put-down.
    > I am well-versed in software usability and have worked in
    > that capacity.
    > Sygate's usability is very well crafted. If I advocated
    > anything, that's where they hit the bullseye. Can you do as
    > well?
    >
    > You have demonstrated your superiority, thank you.
    > Unfortunately, in proving your status, you did not answer
    > the question. One may be able to evaluate performace through
    > experience without being in on all the lingo, especially the
    > jargon. For example, I probably know the functions of which
    > you speak and which I ask, perhaps under other names,
    > perhaps their proper designations. Usability expertise is
    > something that most programmers are sorely lacking.

    > Perhaps, sir donut, you might benefit from spending some
    > time in charm school.
    >
    > Richard

    Hear, hear.

    Just because Richard might not know what an IP address is doesn't mean
    he can't ask "can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    the free version of Sygate Firewall?" and give his opinion on how he has
    found it so far.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

    Ben Measures, Jan 26, 2004
  9. Richard Steinfeld

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:41:32 +0000, Ben Measures
    <> wrote:

    >Just because Richard might not know what an IP address is doesn't mean
    >he can't ask "can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    >the free version of Sygate Firewall?" and give his opinion on how he has
    >found it so far.

    However, if someone does not know what an IP address is it is
    their opinions on networking software are not worth much and its
    a reflection of GROSS stupidity and arrogance to say it.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 26, 2004
  10. Richard Steinfeld

    goofy Guest

    "> Hey, can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    > the free version of Sygate Firewall?

    I love the SPF product but it has a very big hole.
    If you use a proxy ( like Proxomitron ) and whatever programm uses that
    proxygate SPF won't log it.
    The programms using your proxy just jumps in and out in your SPF running
    application screen and SPF also didn't append that programm to the
    application list. Because of this lack of logging it's possible for every
    virus/programm/trojan to have unseen access to the internet.
    Every programm using your proxy is save according to SPF. No Sygate!!, every
    programm that want access to the internet has to be granted. Sygate knows
    this problem for over a year but it hasn't there attention.
    I don't know if this SPF proxy problem is a Sygate problem or a universal
    firewall problem.
    Another problem I have encountered is the blocking possibilities of SPF.
    Even if I had blocked a programm it seems to communicate with the internet.
    If I want to block a programm, let's say svshost.exe, it has to be
    possible. It's up to me if I block a programm to see the effects and not to
    SPF to bypass the blocked programm.
    Or is it : It isn't a bug but a feature. Well, if it is a feature I don't
    like it.

    goofy, Jan 26, 2004
  11. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:40:15 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey, can anyone aside from me give their experiences with
    >the free version of Sygate Firewall?
    >
    >So far, I like it. Much easier to use for a non-"hacker"
    >than Kerio (which is an excellent product). It works, too.
    >They both build rules with you, which I really like. I find
    >Sygate easier to understand, configure, and it handles
    >really well. The integrated backtrace and whois functions
    >work seamlessly, too. This is a major advantage because it
    >really helps to know who was knocking at your door. Just
    >today, I found that it was my very own (wonderful) ISP, so I
    >quickly set up a rule to pass that traffic. Marvelous.
    >
    >I think that I'd pay these guys for their product if their
    >phone support policy wasn't so outrageous.

    I tried Sygate recently, and was very impressed initially - and then I
    found a very curious thing happening.
    My machines would slow to a crawl suddenly - the display became very
    sluggish and eventually just froze.
    As Sygate was the only new program I'd installed in some time it was
    naturally a suspect.

    It wasn't specific to one machine either, I'd installed it on two
    machines, and found the same problem ( this after some three months of
    using it ).

    I did all the usual stuff - checked display drivers, deactivated
    update checking etc... but the problem persisted.

    In the end I removed it and reinstalled ZoneAlarm - which was always
    ok apart from the lack of tweakability.

    Tried Outpost too - which was also very good, but it had a habit of
    slowing down during navigation of the web. Never found a fix or a
    workaround.
    The integrated filtering is handy too, though somewhat redundant if
    you're using something like Proxomitron.

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Jan 26, 2004
  12. Stephen Howard <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:40:15 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
    > <> wrote:

    Hey, i am kind of slow when it comes to computer. Could any one
    tell me what is sygate Firewall?

    lamentation2004, Jan 26, 2004
  13. Richard Steinfeld

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 26 Jan 2004 13:18:05 -0800,
    (lamentation2004) wrote:

    > Hey, i am kind of slow when it comes to computer. Could any one
    >tell me what is sygate Firewall?

    1. http://www.sygate.com
    2. Top posting causes confusion
    3. Trim unnecessary material

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 26, 2004
  14. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:41:32 +0000, Ben Measures
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Just because Richard might not know what an IP address is

    doesn't mean
    > >he can't ask "can anyone aside from me give their

    experiences with
    > >the free version of Sygate Firewall?" and give his

    opinion on how he has
    > >found it so far.

    > However, if someone does not know what an IP address is it

    is
    > their opinions on networking software are not worth much

    and its
    > a reflection of GROSS stupidity and arrogance to say it.
    > --
    > Jim Watt

    Ahem:
    Arrogance, Mr. Watt?

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 27, 2004
  15. Yoo-hoo, I still don't have an answer! (was Re: Sygate)

    So, I've stirred up a bit of self-righteousness among the
    cogniscenti. However, nobody has replied with the actual
    definition of "IP." For example, what do the initials stand
    for?

    Please, will someone answer me in English?

    Richard

    "Richard Steinfeld" <> wrote
    in message news:wyKQb.10674$...

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 27, 2004
  16. > > Hey, i am kind of slow when it comes to computer.
    Could any one
    > >tell me what is sygate Firewall?

    > 1. http://www.sygate.com
    > 2. Top posting causes confusion
    > 3. Trim unnecessary material

    > Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Mr. Watt:
    Would you please condescend to explain to the poster what
    you mean by items #2 and #3. He may not know what you mean.
    Otherwise, he might think that you are arrogant.
    You don't want to give people the impression that you are
    condescending and arrogant, now do you?

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 27, 2004
  17. I should add a little background to my earlier posts
    regarding Sygate.
    I've actually been using a version for over a year. That was
    a slightly-crippled version that was included in the utility
    set, _System Suite._ The performance, although
    straightjacketed, was good, in my experience.

    I've found the free version from Sygate themselves to be
    somewhat liberating in that it is more customizable. One
    unusual thing about it is that with my current
    implementation of Sygate running, my hard disk "blips"
    frequently when I'm on the web. No traffic is reported by
    Sygate to accompany those HD events. However, I found that
    with my earlier implementation of Sygate, the system would
    slug down when the firewall traffic log would get large.
    Deleting that log would speed things up until it was big
    again. In this case, the same thing improves these disk
    accesses. I don't find any malicious activity from this disk
    action and I don't think that Sygate is spying on me.

    It is possible that I installed it without killing every
    running process on my machine, and since the Sygate FAQ list
    mentions something along these lines, I'll re-install it
    with stricter cleanliness in the background and see if the
    disk "blips" are gone.

    Richard

    Richard

    Richard Steinfeld, Jan 27, 2004
  18. Richard Steinfeld

    Ken Ward Guest

    Re: Yoo-hoo, I still don't have an answer! (was Re: Sygate)

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:34:24 GMT, "Richard Steinfeld"
    <> wrote:

    >So, I've stirred up a bit of self-righteousness among the
    >cogniscenti. However, nobody has replied with the actual
    >definition of "IP." For example, what do the initials stand
    >for?
    >
    >Please, will someone answer me in English?
    >
    >Richard
    >

    >"Richard Steinfeld" <> wrote
    >in message news:wyKQb.10674$...
    >> > I gave sygate a 6 month try and except for one annoying

    >> thing, i
    >> > really liked it. I will go back if and when this one

    >issue
    >> is
    >> > resolved. The problem i ran into was that it sometimes

    >> took as much as
    >> > 30 seconds once logged into windows to receive an IP

    >from
    >> my cable/dsl
    >> > router. There was a definite delay before networking was

    >> fully
    >> > enabled.
    >> >

    >> What's an "IP?"
    >> I'm not using networking and I haven't experienced this
    >> delay, I think.
    >>
    >> Richard
    >>
    >> > I switched back to Kerio 2.1.5 (which i have been using

    >> for a long
    >> > time) and the problem went away. On the next release of

    >> SPF I will
    >> > give it another shot.

    IP = Internet Protocol.
    Defined by various international standards authorities as a method of
    identifying all the various devices attached to the Internet.
    Usually found with the beast TCP = Transfer Control Protocol
    Generally, IP is used as a short hand for the string of numbers
    (0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255) used to identify addresses on the Internet
    as per the defined standard.

    Ken Ward, Jan 27, 2004
  19. Re: Yoo-hoo, I still don't have an answer! (was Re: Sygate)

    > So, I've stirred up a bit of self-righteousness among the
    > cogniscenti. However, nobody has replied with the actual
    > definition of "IP." For example, what do the initials stand
    > for?

    "Internet Protocol"

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 27, 2004
  20. Richard Steinfeld

    StarScripter Guest

    Richard Steinfeld wrote:
    > So, I've stirred up a bit of self-righteousness among the
    > cogniscenti. However, nobody has replied with the actual
    > definition of "IP." For example, what do the initials stand
    > for?
    >
    > Please, will someone answer me in English?
    >
    > Richard

    From Microsoft Computer Dictionary:

    *IP* n. Acronym for Internet Protocol. The protocol within TCP/IP that
    governs the breakup of data messages into packets, the routing of the
    packets from sender to destination network and station, and the reassembly
    of the packets into the original data messages at the destination. IP runs
    at the internetwork layer in the TCP/IP model-equivalent to the network
    layer in the ISO/OSI reference model. See also ISO/OSI reference model,
    TCP/IP. Compare TCP.

    *IP address* n. Short for Internet Protocol address. A 32-bit (4-byte)
    binary number that uniquely identifies a host (computer) connected to the
    Internet to other Internet hosts, for the purposes of communication through
    the transfer of packets. An IP address is expressed in "dotted quad" format,
    consisting of the decimal values of its 4 bytes, separated with periods; for
    example, 127.0.0.1. The first 1, 2, or 3 bytes of the IP address identify
    the network the host is connected to; the remaining bits identify the host
    itself. The 32 bits of all 4 bytes together can signify almost 232, or
    roughly 4 billion, hosts. (A few small ranges within that set of numbers are
    not used.) Also called: Internet Protocol number, IP number. See also host,
    IANA, ICANN, InterNIC, IP, IP address classes, packet (definition 2).
    Compare domain name.

    *IP address classes* n. Short for Internet Protocol address classes. The
    classes into which IP addresses were divided to accommodate different
    network sizes. Each class is associated with a range of possible IP
    addresses and is limited to a specific number of networks per class and
    hosts per network. See the table. See also Class A IP address, Class B IP
    address, Class C IP address, IP address.
    Address Class Range of IP Addresses Networks per Class Hosts per Network
    (maximum number)
    Class A (/8) 1.x.x.x to 126.x.x.x 126 16,777,214
    Class B (/16) 128.0.x.x to 191.255.x.x 16,384 65,534
    Class C (/24) 192.0.0.x to 223.255.255.x 2,097,152 254

    IP address classes. Each x represents the host-number field assigned by the
    network administrator.

    --
    S.S.

    StarScripter, Jan 27, 2004