Sygate / Wireless Router problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carol Haynes, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    I am using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro on two computers which are connected
    to the outside worls by 54g Wireless adapters networked via a Linksys
    wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

    The router protects the network with its own firewall, successfully making
    all ports invisible to the outside world, however the problem I have is that
    the router (using IP address 192.168.1.1) needs to communicate with the
    clients but sometimes Sygate interprets the routers packages as hack
    attempts. Consequently the client firewall blocks all access to 192.168.1.1
    for a period at which point the network dies completely.

    To get over this I have configure Sygate to allow all traffic from the
    router (via the routers MAC address) and everything works now.

    I am a bit concerned though that this solution basically opens up the client
    firewalls completely to all external communication (since all
    incoming/outgoing data is passed through the router) making them useless.

    Anyone got any idea how the client firewalls should be configured to be safe
    but allow the router to do its job without interference?

    Thanks

    --
    Carol Haynes
    Reply address is set to vaporize - don't expect a reply!
    Carol Haynes, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Carol Haynes

    Spider Guest

    Hello Carol,

    CH> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro on two computers which are
    CH> connected to the outside worls by 54g Wireless adapters networked
    CH> via a Linksys wireless ADSL Modem/Router.
    CH>
    CH> The router protects the network with its own firewall, successfully
    CH> making all ports invisible to the outside world, however the problem
    CH> I have is that the router (using IP address 192.168.1.1) needs to
    CH> communicate with the clients but sometimes Sygate interprets the
    CH> routers packages as hack attempts. Consequently the client firewall
    CH> blocks all access to 192.168.1.1 for a period at which point the
    CH> network dies completely.
    CH>
    CH> To get over this I have configure Sygate to allow all traffic from
    CH> the router (via the routers MAC address) and everything works now.
    CH>
    CH> I am a bit concerned though that this solution basically opens up
    CH> the client firewalls completely to all external communication (since
    CH> all incoming/outgoing data is passed through the router) making them
    CH> useless.
    CH>
    CH> Anyone got any idea how the client firewalls should be configured to
    CH> be safe but allow the router to do its job without interference?
    CH>
    CH> Thanks

    As long as you have WEP enabled and are aware of all who are on your internal
    network, that should not pose a problem since 192.168 IP's can not be routed
    over the internet. The biggest risk is someone unknown to you being able
    to attach to your wireless router locally. WEP is intended to prevent that.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1
    Spider, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    "Spider" <> wrote in message

    > As long as you have WEP enabled and are aware of all who are on your
    > internal network, that should not pose a problem since 192.168 IP's can
    > not be routed over the internet. The biggest risk is someone unknown to
    > you being able to attach to your wireless router locally. WEP is intended
    > to prevent that.

    Thanks that is rather what I thought but it is nice to have someone else
    confirm it ;-)

    Carol Haynes, Dec 21, 2004