    What are your suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Steve Sr., Jan 27, 2004

  2. Steve Sr.

    donutbandit Guest

    Steve Sr. <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am looking for a firewall to add to a Win2K box that's exposed to
    > the internet via a dial-up connection.
    >
    > I hate to be starting a firewall "war" but am looking for advice on
    > what is the best option. I have read both good and bad things about
    > all of them. I was leaning towards ZAP but some folks say it is not as
    > good as it used to be and may cause performance issues.
    >
    > What are your suggestions?

    I prefer Kerio. It's highly configurable, runs almost invisibly, and is
    free. BTW, avoid Kerio 4. It's buggy. Kerio 2.1.5 is still available,
    though well hidden:

    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/

    I've read so many horror stories about Zone Alarm that I wouldn't recommend
    it to anyone. It's bloated, a resource hog, has major uninstall issues, and
    may conflict with other installed software.

    Sygate, I know little about.
    donutbandit, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Steve Sr.

    Dazz Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:33:54 -0500, Steve Sr. <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking for a firewall to add to a Win2K box that's exposed to
    >the internet via a dial-up connection.
    >
    >I hate to be starting a firewall "war" but am looking for advice on
    >what is the best option. I have read both good and bad things about
    >all of them. I was leaning towards ZAP but some folks say it is not as
    >good as it used to be and may cause performance issues.
    >
    >What are your suggestions?

    The last time I used ZoneAlarm, I found it to be resource intensive,
    and annoying.

    Since then, I've been using Kerio on my windows box, and I think it's
    pretty good. It's not perfect, but better than anything else (in
    regards to personal firewalls for windows).

    It also saved me from a bit of trouble on the weekend, when I ran foul
    of .hta and a dodgy website. :-(

    Dazz

    Dazz, Jan 28, 2004
  4. "donutbandit" <> wrote in message
    > I prefer Kerio. It's highly configurable, runs almost invisibly, and is
    > free. BTW, avoid Kerio 4. It's buggy. Kerio 2.1.5 is still available,
    > though well hidden:

    How is it buggy? Are you referring to all the annoying popups? Are they
    planning a patch soon?
    Phil Da Lick!, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Steve Sr.

    ClareOldie Guest

    Steve Sr. wrote:
    > I am looking for a firewall to add to a Win2K box that's exposed to
    > the internet via a dial-up connection.
    >
    > I hate to be starting a firewall "war" but am looking for advice on
    > what is the best option. I have read both good and bad things about
    > all of them. I was leaning towards ZAP but some folks say it is not as
    > good as it used to be and may cause performance issues.
    >
    > What are your suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    I have used most of the free PFs and was very happy with Sygate but I have
    settled on Outpost from www.agnitum.com Highly configurable with extra
    plugins if you wish to use them.
    Of the lot ZA is the only one that I would warn about - it can be extremely
    difficult to do a clean uninstall if you don't like it.
    Your best bet is to try each for about a week in turn and then choose the
    one YOU like best - Kerio/Tiny, Sygate, Outpost.
    Seán
    ClareOldie, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Steve Sr.

    Mr Neil Guest

    I used to use Agnitum Outpost which I liked a lot, but when I moved over to
    Broadband I found problems in loading it at startup, something to do with
    the firewall starting before the broadband connection had established
    itself. I have now moved over to Kerio which again is very customisable and
    like Outpost is not very memory hungry. I did install Zone Alarm but I
    don't like the user interface and on the free version there is no display as
    to what data programs are actually downloading. Sygate is also a good
    program but I ditched that in favour of Outpost, I can't quite remember what
    the reason was now though.

    Regards

    Mr Neil, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:33:47 -0000, "ClareOldie"
    <> wrote:

    >Steve Sr. wrote:
    >> I am looking for a firewall to add to a Win2K box that's exposed to
    >> the internet via a dial-up connection.
    >>
    >> I hate to be starting a firewall "war" but am looking for advice on
    >> what is the best option. I have read both good and bad things about
    >> all of them. I was leaning towards ZAP but some folks say it is not as
    >> good as it used to be and may cause performance issues.
    >>
    >> What are your suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Steve

    >I have used most of the free PFs and was very happy with Sygate but I have
    >settled on Outpost from www.agnitum.com Highly configurable with extra
    >plugins if you wish to use them.
    >Of the lot ZA is the only one that I would warn about - it can be extremely
    >difficult to do a clean uninstall if you don't like it.
    >Your best bet is to try each for about a week in turn and then choose the
    >one YOU like best - Kerio/Tiny, Sygate, Outpost.
    >Seán

    Thanks everyone for your advice. It appears that there are no clear
    cut winners in the personal firewall space. I was originally attracted
    to ZA from earlier reports from Steve Gibson's site. It would appear
    that ZA has fallen behind and has picked up some bad characteristics.

    I will probably take Sean's advice and try the remaining candidates
    and then make a choice.

    Steve
    Steve Sr., Jan 30, 2004
  8. Steve Sr.

    Glenn Jarvis Guest

    Steve Sr. wrote:
    > I am looking for a firewall to add to a Win2K box that's exposed to
    > the internet via a dial-up connection.
    >
    > I hate to be starting a firewall "war" but am looking for advice on
    > what is the best option. I have read both good and bad things about
    > all of them. I was leaning towards ZAP but some folks say it is not as
    > good as it used to be and may cause performance issues.
    >
    > What are your suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    I'm using one from Computer Associates. They are currently offering it
    and the virus protection free for one year. Seems to work rather well.
    Even picked up a virus infected email upon arrival and took care of it
    seamlessly. The firewall I noticed resembles ZoneAlarm in many aspects,
    but offers more options and configurability. Hasn't caused any problems
    here so far.
    Glenn Jarvis, Jan 31, 2004