    Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?

    I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    joevan, Jan 17, 2009

  2. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:31:43 -0500, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >I have been helping my friend with his laptop. I installed sp3 for xp
    >that was waiting to be intalled. He didn't know what it was so had not
    >installed it. I also installed sygate free firewall and the wifi
    >would not connect. I even set the sygate to allow all and still no
    >connection.
    >I uninstalled sygate and viola, wifi connected just fine.
    >Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?
    >
    >I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    >He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-8115.html

    Maybe I will try Kerio on his laptop.

    joevan, Jan 17, 2009

  3. joevan wrote:

    > I have been helping my friend with his laptop. I installed sp3 for xp
    > that was waiting to be intalled. He didn't know what it was so had not
    > installed it. I also installed sygate free firewall and the wifi
    > would not connect. I even set the sygate to allow all and still no
    > connection.
    > I uninstalled sygate and viola, wifi connected just fine.
    > Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?
    >
    > I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    > He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    The XP builtin firewall is sufficient for blocking intrusion and scan
    attempts. The common feature of "personal firewalls" to barf when
    thought-to-be-unknown programs want to access the network or the
    internet, will not prevent installation of malware - in fact it *may*
    show there is some, but rather late.
    A better solution to that problem are behavior blockers (some all-in-one
    security suites try to) or registry/autostart watchdogs like the
    teatimer of spybot S&D. They also barf, but as soon as the possible
    malware wants to establish some sort of autostart - which is time of
    installation. Same goes for legit software but at that time you know
    you are just installing, and are prepared to allow it.
    Another security hint: running daily surfing/mailing/officeworking as
    a "restricted user", will cold-stop malware most of the time, while a
    virus/malware scanner still can catch the beasts.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 17, 2009
  4. In message <>, joevan wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:31:43 -0500, joevan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have been helping my friend with his laptop. I installed sp3 for xp
    > >that was waiting to be intalled. He didn't know what it was so had not
    > >installed it. I also installed sygate free firewall and the wifi
    > >would not connect. I even set the sygate to allow all and still no
    > >connection.
    > >I uninstalled sygate and viola, wifi connected just fine.
    > >Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?
    > >
    > >I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    > >He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    > http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-8115.html
    >
    > Maybe I will try Kerio on his laptop.

    Its very easy and Ive used it so that proves its easy peasy.

    ^_^

    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 18, 2009
  5. joevan

    Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I have been helping my friend with his laptop. I installed sp3 for xp
    > that was waiting to be intalled. He didn't know what it was so had not
    > installed it. I also installed sygate free firewall and the wifi
    > would not connect. I even set the sygate to allow all and still no
    > connection.
    > I uninstalled sygate and viola, wifi connected just fine.
    > Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?
    >
    > I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    > He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    I would think you can have the firewall installed and uninstall the
    wireless software then reinstall it and it will work.

    , Jan 20, 2009
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Sygate free blocks wifi-update

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:01:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> I have been helping my friend with his laptop. I installed sp3 for xp
    >> that was waiting to be intalled. He didn't know what it was so had not
    >> installed it. I also installed sygate free firewall and the wifi
    >> would not connect. I even set the sygate to allow all and still no
    >> connection.
    >> I uninstalled sygate and viola, wifi connected just fine.
    >> Is there anothe firewall that won't mess up wifi?
    >>
    >> I think he should have a firewall but he is not sure.
    >> He is using the free avg av and seems to be content.

    >I would think you can have the firewall installed and uninstall the
    >wireless software then reinstall it and it will work.

    I just today installed sunbelt-personal-firewall and all works fine
    now.

    joevan, Jan 21, 2009
  7. joevan

    joevan, Jan 21, 2009