    weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    seems Norton is screwy again.
    joevan, Jun 13, 2009

  2. In message <>, joevan wrote:
    > I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
    > the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
    > weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    > could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    > seems Norton is screwy again.

    Why use that then?
    Use this:
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jun 13, 2009

  3. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
    > the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
    > weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    > could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    > seems Norton is screwy again.

    You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    accept them right?

    You don't have a router do you?

    Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
    more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 13, 2009
  4. joevan

    olfart Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > joevan <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
    >> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
    >> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    >> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    >> seems Norton is screwy again.

    > You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    > sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    > accept them right?
    >
    > You don't have a router do you?
    >
    > Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    > the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
    > more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    and when Norton wasn't writing software he was Ralph Cramdon's neighbor, was
    married to Trixie and worked in a sewer
    olfart, Jun 14, 2009
  5. joevan

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    >sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    >accept them right?

    This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.

    >Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    >the software that Symantec derived from.

    Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
    word for anything.

    --

    Just one adventure of Mr. Gay
    http://www.fukung.net/v/11838/8df8187297e7169fc4940238e200fe39.jpg
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700, wrote:

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    >>sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    >>accept them right?

    >This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.
    >
    >>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    >>the software that Symantec derived from.

    >Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
    >word for anything.

    I see clearly about some people. Not to worry. They just take up l air
    that the rest of us could use.
    Funny but all is working now with the firewall set to normal. Doesn't
    seem to have a regular pattern of working or not. Probably some bit of
    flaky something else on this machine.
    joevan, Jun 14, 2009
  7. joevan

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote (on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700):

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    >>sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    >>accept them right?

    > This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.

    Which shows that you have never used Sygate. This product would forget
    its application rules. That meant any Allows you had defined were no
    longer honored. It would also not prompt you when the application
    wanted to make a connection because it already had a rule for that
    application -- but for which it wasn't honoring. You had to delete the
    application rule, run the application again, now get a prompt about the
    application, and create a NEW rule for that application.

    Once Sygate began forgetting its rules, there was no point in keeping
    any of them. It would get worse and forget about others. So you
    deleted them all and them recreated all of them again. Tis one of the
    reasons that I dumped Sygate. Not because Symantec gobbled it up to
    make it disappear (although that also meant the product was no longer
    supported so all of its heuristics became antiquated), but because I
    grew tired of having to redefine my app rules.

    There are far better newer free firewall programs available. The OP
    should dumped Sygate.

    >>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    >>the software that Symantec derived from.

    > Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
    > word for anything.

    And how did your post help the OP with his problem? Yeah, it didn't.
    Oh, you must be a mystic. So EXACTLY which of the various Norton
    products do YOU somehow magically *know* to which the OP referred?

    Your "advice" in this thread has been worth the value noted in your
    name.
    VanguardLH, Jun 14, 2009
  8. joevan

    elaich Guest

    VanguardLH <> wrote in news:h1383n$oth$-
    september.org:

    > Once Sygate began forgetting its rules, there was no point in keeping
    > any of them. It would get worse and forget about others. So you
    > deleted them all and them recreated all of them again. Tis one of the
    > reasons that I dumped Sygate.

    Same here. I'm still using Kerio 2.1.5 which works fine.
    elaich, Jun 14, 2009
  9. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:41:51 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> chuckcar <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications
    >>>from sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could
    >>>have it accept them right?

    >>This is a version of pulling every board out of your computer BS.
    >>
    >>>Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally
    >>>wrote the software that Symantec derived from.

    >>Just posting crap again I see. No cite either, I wouldn't take you
    >>word for anything.

    > I see clearly about some people. Not to worry. They just take up l air
    > that the rest of us could use.

    Believe what you want to, but you're wrong. Penny has been my personnal
    pain here ever since she went off the deep end.

    > Funny but all is working now with the firewall set to normal. Doesn't
    > seem to have a regular pattern of working or not. Probably some bit of
    > flaky something else on this machine.

    Without you divulging any details - such as what this mysterious Symantec
    product is (Norton Firewall maybe? - *never* run two firewall programs on
    the same computer), no one can give you any kind of useful answer.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 14, 2009
  10. joevan wrote:

    > I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
    > the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
    > weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    > could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    > seems Norton is screwy again.

    Now do you have Norton AND sygate firewalls in action?
    Btw., desktop "firewalls" are only a minor contribution to security, and
    using more than one may even have a negative effect.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Jun 15, 2009
  11. joevan

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:08:15 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Believe what you want to, but you're wrong. Penny has been my personnal
    >pain here ever since she went off the deep end.

    Gee, everyone here is your personal pain huh? I proved your stupidity
    to you so many times, you killfiled me. Must be hard being you.
    Evan Platt, Jun 15, 2009
  12. joevan

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 07:25:43 -0400, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >I see clearly about some people. Not to worry. They just take up l air
    >that the rest of us could use.

    I'll second Pennywises comments. Chucktard is a complete fool. I
    caught him being totally wrong or backpedalling on so many posts, he
    got fed up and killfiled me.

    It's funny. 30 people will all jump in and say he's an idiot, and HE
    will be sitting going "Oh all those 30 people are idiots".

    What's more likely:

    1 person is correct that 30 people are idiots, or
    30 people correct that one person is an idiot?
    Evan Platt, Jun 15, 2009
  13. joevan

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Believe what you want to, but you're wrong. Penny has been my personnal
    >pain here ever since she went off the deep end.

    No, it was you belittling Joevan about Norton, faggot.

    Know how to use a spell checker? of course not

    And as Personal pains go you picked up Evan Platt on your very first
    post, has to be some kinda record.

    --

    Wildlife bridge crossing.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2176/2251530442_29e7455d81_o.jpg
  14. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:16:14 -0400, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> joevan <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have tried various settings but it still blocks outlook express and
    >>> the newsgroups unless I set it to allow all. This started about 2
    >>> weeks ago or so. It seems it was intermittent as after a restart I
    >>> could get the mail to work and newsgroups. It is no big deal but it
    >>> seems Norton is screwy again.

    >> You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    >> sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    >> accept them right?
    >>
    >> You don't have a router do you?
    >>
    >> Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally wrote
    >> the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
    >> more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.
    >>
    >> --
    >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    >and when Norton wasn't writing software he was Ralph Cramdon's neighbor, was
    >married to Trixie and worked in a sewer

    Wal yew raht there. Butt to make a long story short, I uninstlled the
    old and added sygate 5.6. So far seems to be doing it's job. No
    problems so far.
    joevan, Jun 23, 2009
  15. joevan

    olfart Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:16:14 -0400, "olfart" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> joevan <> wrote in

    >>> You *did* a) read the manual b) try removing the above applications from
    >>> sygate *entirely* and then starting the application so you could have it
    >>> accept them right?
    >>>
    >>> You don't have a router do you?
    >>>
    >>> Norton *what*? Norton is the last name of the person who originally
    >>> wrote
    >>> the software that Symantec derived from. It isn't a software package any
    >>> more than "Microsoft" or "Apple" are.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    >>and when Norton wasn't writing software he was Ralph Cramdon's neighbor,
    >>was
    >>married to Trixie and worked in a sewer
    >>

    > Wal yew raht there. Butt to make a long story short, I uninstlled the
    > old and added sygate 5.6. So far seems to be doing it's job. No
    > problems so far.

    Been using 5.6 for a long time myself. Works OK without all the crappola of
    newer firewalls
    olfart, Jun 23, 2009
  16. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:14:28 -0400, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:16:14 -0400, "olfart" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >>>and when Norton wasn't writing software he was Ralph Cramdon's neighbor,
    >>>was
    >>>married to Trixie and worked in a sewer
    >>>

    >> Wal yew raht there. Butt to make a long story short, I uninstlled the
    >> old and added sygate 5.6. So far seems to be doing it's job. No
    >> problems so far.

    >Been using 5.6 for a long time myself. Works OK without all the crappola of
    >newer firewalls

    Thanks for the confirmation. I am finding it a refreshing change. All
    is running just fine.
    joevan, Jun 23, 2009
  17. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:34:36 -0400, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:14:28 -0400, "olfart" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"joevan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Wal yew raht there. Butt to make a long story short, I uninstlled the
    >>> old and added sygate 5.6. So far seems to be doing it's job. No
    >>> problems so far.

    >>Been using 5.6 for a long time myself. Works OK without all the crappola of
    >>newer firewalls
    >>

    >Thanks for the confirmation. I am finding it a refreshing change. All
    >is running just fine.

    Now I have a laptop and it is working good. Of course that 5.6 will
    not go on it cuz it has vista that came with it.
    Funny somebody said Norton was a not but it came with this toshiba
    also along with vista. I uninstalled Norton and put in my Bit Defender
    which said it did not need windows defender. As you see my agent
    working with vista and as long as nothing gets me crazy I will stay
    with it. I don't have a router so should I have a firewall. I tried
    the free thing, vista free and was not pleased. Any good suggestions.
    Of course I realize a router to replace my hub or add to the system
    for the three computes would be the best. ???
    joevan, Jun 25, 2009
  18. <snip>
    >> Thanks for the confirmation. I am finding it a refreshing change. All
    >> is running just fine.

    > Now I have a laptop and it is working good. Of course that 5.6 will
    > not go on it cuz it has vista that came with it.
    > Funny somebody said Norton was a not but it came with this toshiba
    > also along with vista. I uninstalled Norton and put in my Bit Defender
    > which said it did not need windows defender. As you see my agent
    > working with vista and as long as nothing gets me crazy I will stay
    > with it. I don't have a router so should I have a firewall. I tried
    > the free thing, vista free and was not pleased. Any good suggestions.
    > Of course I realize a router to replace my hub or add to the system
    > for the three computes would be the best. ???

    When it comes to laptops, its helpful to have a sofware firewall as well
    on it, for times when you need to use it outside your network, on some
    other network i.e.

    HTH
    Diabolic Preacher
    As Is
    Diabolic Preacher, Jul 5, 2009
  19. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 05:33:30 +0530, Diabolic Preacher
    <> wrote:

    >When it comes to laptops, its helpful to have a sofware firewall as well
    >on it, for times when you need to use it outside your network, on some
    >other network i.e.
    >
    >HTH
    >Diabolic Preacher
    >As Is