Sybex MCSE: Windows 2003 Certification Kit?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Adam Leinss, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Hello.

    Does anyone have any opinions on this new MCSE 2003 certification kit
    by Sybex? It includes 4 books, one for each core exam (70-290,70-
    291,70-293,70-294) and 6 CDs. Bookpool is selling it for $92.75 plus
    free shipping and lists it only has 4 CDs, but I wonder if it's because
    Sybex lists the 2 CDs at its site as bonus CDs? I have the Sybex book
    for the 70-270 exam and I like the way it lists out the exam objectives
    and goes through them in each chapter. Do Sybex books go indepth
    enough for the exams? I'm taking a class at a technical college and we
    used MSPress' "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Academic Learning
    Series" book last semester for 70-270. As I started talking practice
    tests, I realized that this book did not go into things asked on the
    practice tests. Is there any book representative of what's on the
    exams out there?

    I would like recommendations for cheap and good practice exam software.
    Transcenders is nice, but they want $130 for 150 questions! Give me a
    break!

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Adam Leinss <> wrote in

    > Hello.
    >
    > Does anyone have any opinions on this new MCSE 2003 certification
    > kit by Sybex? It includes 4 books, one for each core exam
    > (70-290,70- 291,70-293,70-294) and 6 CDs. Bookpool is selling it
    > for $92.75 plus free shipping and lists it only has 4 CDs, but I
    > wonder if it's because Sybex lists the 2 CDs at its site as bonus
    > CDs? I have the Sybex book for the 70-270 exam and I like the way
    > it lists out the exam objectives and goes through them in each
    > chapter. Do Sybex books go indepth enough for the exams? I'm
    > taking a class at a technical college and we used MSPress'
    > "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Academic Learning Series" book
    > last semester for 70-270. As I started talking practice tests, I
    > realized that this book did not go into things asked on the
    > practice tests. Is there any book representative of what's on the
    > exams out there?
    >
    > I would like recommendations for cheap and good practice exam
    > software. Transcenders is nice, but they want $130 for 150
    > questions! Give me a break!

    I should mention the ISBN of the kit I'm talking about, it's 0-7821-
    4265-6.

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Adam Leinss

    Plain Guest

    The book you mentioned is not available yet on Bookpol
    yet. It is listed as "not-yet-published". Unless you got
    a publisher's preview edition, you would not able to
    grant any opinion on this book!

    Plain , Nov 2, 2003
  4. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Plain " <> wrote in

    > The book you mentioned is not available yet on Bookpol
    > yet. It is listed as "not-yet-published". Unless you got
    > a publisher's preview edition, you would not able to
    > grant any opinion on this book!

    It is avaiable at B&N and Sybex. How about an opinion of Sybex books
    on MCSE in general?

    Thanks,
    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 2, 2003
  5. Sybex is good if you are strong on Windows to begin with if not go with the
    MS Press books because they go into more depth

    Daniel Lawrence, Nov 2, 2003
  6. Adam Leinss

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Daniel Lawrence" <> wrote in

    > Sybex is good if you are strong on Windows to begin with if not go
    > with the MS Press books because they go into more depth

    I'm not sure that is a hard and fast rule. The User State Migration
    Tool (USMT) is covered in the Sybex book, but not in my ALS Windows XP
    book by MSPress. That's really disappointing. Now I am using
    "Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment" by Dan
    Holme and Orin Thomas, a MS Press book for 70-290. It goes into great
    detail on the command line utilities, such as DSQUERY and DSADD. The
    Sybex book for 70-290, however, mentions them only in passing. And my
    instructor says the Holme book is missing things covered by the MOC and
    she will have to supplement the material to make up for this missing
    information.

    So I guess there no official book out there that has everything. =(

    Adam
    Adam Leinss, Nov 3, 2003
  7. Adam Leinss

    CAT Guest

    After having studied from Microsoft Press for 70-290 and missing passing by
    what looked like one question I bought the Sybex. I found the Sybex book to
    go into more depth on the basics and it covered things Press book didn't.
    Microsoft Press book also covered things that Sybex didn't. My current
    strategy (in addition to continuing practicing on my lab setup) is to read
    the Microsoft Press book and then read and take notes from the Sybex book.
    (I find I remember better if I write things down) I'm already doing better
    on the practice exams provided with both books and plan to retake the test
    the beginning of next week. I should note I'm an experienced admin on NT
    4.0 with limited work experience in Win 2000. Hope this helps.

    CAT

    CAT, Nov 3, 2003