    soon.

    Has anyone reviewed these books, and what is your opinion of this as a
    supplemental study guide?
    Billy, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Billy

    Techie Guest

    Try to stay away from Exam notes type books as they are too centered on the
    exam. Get the normal Sybex books for study purposes and if you want more
    detail go with the MS Press books

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21
    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > I'm enrolled in an instructor-led class for my MCSE in Windows 2000 and

    need
    > advice on supplemental material. The books and CD's provided in the class
    > are not fully providing me with enough specific knowledge.
    >
    > I have many years of work experience and understand LAN's well, but I'm

    not
    > an expert in any OS.
    >
    > I've reviewed the O'Reilly "MCSE in a Nutshell" and it is somewhat

    helpful,

    Techie, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Hi Billy.

    Though not an exam guide Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2000 Server is an
    outstanding book to learn W2K. There are also many, many free resources at Microsoft
    web site including deployment guides and white papers. I also highly recommend the
    Microsoft Press Windows Security Resource Kit. The MCSE guides are sorely lacking in
    the area of securing W2K. I found it a very interesting read. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/default.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/dpg/default.asp
    http://www.bookpool.com/.x/qxf9w5qzer/sm/0735618682
    http://www.labmice.net/windows2000/default.htm

    Steven L Umbach, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Billy

    Billy Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message

    > Try to stay away from Exam notes type books as they are too centered on

    the
    > exam.

    Isn't this what I want, if I already have somewhat of an idea of the
    concepts?

    Billy, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Billy

    Techie Guest

    Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget the
    exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness review not
    for studying about the product you are going to be certified on.

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Billy

    Billy Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget the
    > exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness review not
    > for studying about the product you are going to be certified on.
    >

    > --
    > Techie
    > MCNGP #21

    Ok, I get it. Then I must be on the right track because I've already studied
    in-depth through a classroom curriculum, now I'm preparing for the test.
    Billy, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Billy

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in

    > "Techie" <> wrote in message
    >> Not if you say things like "but I'm not an expert in any OS." forget
    >> the exam and learn the material. The Exam notes are for a readiness
    >> review not for studying about the product you are going to be
    >> certified on.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Techie
    >> MCNGP #21

    > Ok, I get it. Then I must be on the right track because I've already
    > studied in-depth through a classroom curriculum, now I'm preparing for
    > the test.

    Billy, in my experience the MS Press books have proven to be very badly
    written, organized and a major pain in the ass to read. I don't think MS
    are very good at publishing certification prep books. They books on MS
    products are can not bad. But publishers like Corilis, examcram, sybex
    e.t.c. are much better at exam prep. mainly because they speicalize in
    the area. Just my opinion based on a few MS Press books I picked up along
    the way and tried to read through. But i am sure there are peope that may
    disagree, it's all subjective anyways.

    also, don't pay full price for the books. the books are always heavily
    over priced and drop in a bargain bin within a 12 month cycle. look for
    previous editions in discount/clearence book storres. especially ones
    that specialize in it books. there are a slew of them in my city.

    good luck,
    RY, MCSE
    Rowdy Yates, Jan 5, 2004
  8. >Billy, in my experience the MS Press books have proven to be very badly
    >written, organized and a major pain in the ass to read. I don't think MS
    >are very good at publishing certification prep books. They books on MS
    >products are can not bad.

    Totally agree.

    Can't understand why that should be so, seems bizarre to me.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004
  9. >There are also many, many free resources at Microsoft
    >web site including deployment guides and white papers. I also highly recommend the
    >Microsoft Press Windows Security Resource Kit.

    Absolutely.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 5, 2004