    Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in use. Yet
    my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?

    I'm always running low on disk space, so this really ticks me off.

    Talc Ta Matt, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Talc Ta Matt

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Talc Ta Matt) wrote in
    news::

    > Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in
    > use. Yet my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?

    Yes

    > I'm always running low on disk space, so this really ticks me off.

    You need a larger drive

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Talc Ta Matt

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >Is this normal?
    >
    >Yes

    Then what is the point in having all that RAM? It very rarely is all in use.
    I'd think the RAM would be used first then the HD.

    Talc Ta Matt, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Talc Ta Matt

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Talc Ta Matt) wrote in

    > Then what is the point in having all that RAM? It very rarely is all
    > in use. I'd think the RAM would be used first then the HD.

    Certain things get swapped out almost immediately. And the question is,
    are you monitoring how much swap file is in use, or how much space it is
    taking? There is a huge difference.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Talc Ta Matt

    olfart Guest

    "Talc Ta Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in

    use. Yet
    > my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?
    >
    > I'm always running low on disk space, so this really ticks me off.

    X-Setup from http://www.xteq.com/ is a great free tweaking tool which
    includes a setting to allow use of more RAM before the swap file is used

    olfart, Nov 9, 2003
  6. Talc Ta Matt

    Michael-NC Guest

    > Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in

    use. Yet
    > my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?
    >
    > I'm always running low on disk space, so this really ticks me off.

    You could 10 GBs of ram and it wouldn't effect your hard drive space. Ram
    only uses what's already on your hard drive. One has nothing to do with the
    other.

    Michael-NC, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Talc Ta Matt

    mark mandel Guest

    > Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in

    use. Yet
    > my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?

    This suggestion "might" make a difference, you'll have to see.

    1)From the Notebook utility, open the system.ini file from the Windows
    directory.

    2)In the section following the subtitle(386 Enh), insert the folowing entry:

    ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1

    3)Save the file and reboot the PC.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Nov 9, 2003
  8. Talc Ta Matt

    Plato Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > > Then what is the point in having all that RAM? It very rarely is all
    > > in use. I'd think the RAM would be used first then the HD.

    > Certain things get swapped out almost immediately. And the question is,
    > are you monitoring how much swap file is in use, or how much space it is
    > taking? There is a huge difference.

    Good Point

    Plato, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Talc Ta Matt

    Ardent Guest

    On 09 Nov 2003 07:10:12 GMT, (Talc Ta Matt) wrote:

    >Win98se - I've got 512mb of RAM. At the moment only 72mb of that is in use. Yet
    >my swp file is 180mb. Is this normal?
    >
    >I'm always running low on disk space, so this really ticks me off.

    Lots of people disagree and flamed me for saying this in the past:

    Eliminate totally the swap file by using this entry in the system.ini
    file under [386Enh]

    ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

    This works in Win98 and SE. With this your memory will be fully used
    and the win386.swp file will always have a 0 size.

    I have been using this for the last three years and I have not found
    any degradation in performance.

    HTH
    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only

    Ardent, Nov 12, 2003
  10. Talc Ta Matt

    Michael-NC Guest

    ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 does _not_ "Eliminate totally the swap file" it
    merely compels windows to use all available physical ram before it page the
    swapfile. If you did totally eliminate the swapfile and did not have _Lots_
    of physical ram installed, you most certainly would have problems. By lots,
    I mean more than 512MB.

    Michael-NC, Nov 12, 2003
  11. Talc Ta Matt

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > If you did totally eliminate the swapfile and did not have _Lots_
    > of physical ram installed, you most certainly would have problems. By
    > lots, I mean more than 512MB.

    I ran 98 on a machine with 384 megs of RAM, and with no virtual memory
    enabled the machine could not launch Netscape 4, Eudora, or a number of
    other common programs, despite having plenty of free RAM and
    "ConservativeSwapFile" set

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 12, 2003
  12. Talc Ta Matt

    Ardent Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:12:44 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >I ran 98 on a machine with 384 megs of RAM, and with no virtual memory
    >enabled the machine could not launch Netscape 4, Eudora, or a number of
    >other common programs, despite having plenty of free RAM and
    >"ConservativeSwapFile" set

    This machine I am running is a 166 Mhz with 64mb ram.

    A tiny utility shows the free ram in the tray. With Eudora, Agent and
    IE loaded the free ram is 23 mb. Still the win386.swp files size is 0.
    Now I load Zone Alarm also, free ram is down to 17 mb and the swap
    file is 12.36mb!

    I never had any problem with installing any version of IE and even
    Delphi 6.0 and run it too !

    Well that is a great relief and shows that the swap file is indeed
    used only when most of the ram is used - this also confirms that there
    may not be loss in performance since swap file is not totally
    eliminated.

    I presume that with machines having a lot of memory the swap file will
    be 0 even after many program are loaded.

    So I am all for conservative swap file usage until I find a material
    change in my three years' usage of this setting.

    --
    Sandy Archer
    Reply to newsgroups only

    Ardent, Nov 14, 2003