    right now? The design is perfect for the
    shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    to have abandoned it.
    Mitchell Holman, Feb 24, 2004

  2. "Mitchell Holman" <> wrote in message

    > What is the leading swivel body camera
    > right now? The design is perfect for the
    > shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    > to have abandoned it.

    I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel design
    camera.
    Maybe you can tell me the advantages?
    To me the biggest disadvantage would be the chance of connection breakages
    between the two "halves".
    On top of that I have yet to see one with a half decent lens!

    Gerrit - Oz
    Gerrit 't Hart, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Mitchell Holman

    Seymore Guest

    Sony... F717 and F828

    Seymore...
    Owner of an S85... and luvin' it!

    Seymore, Feb 24, 2004
  4. "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in news:403aabb9$0$22514$5a62ac22
    @freenews.iinet.net.au:

    > "Mitchell Holman" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> What is the leading swivel body camera
    >> right now? The design is perfect for the
    >> shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    >> to have abandoned it.
    >>

    > I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel

    design
    > camera.
    > Maybe you can tell me the advantages?

    Taking shots from angles other than
    eye-level, for starters.
    Mitchell Holman, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Mitchell Holman

    Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:15:26 GMT, Mitchell Holman
    <> wrote:

    >"Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in news:403aabb9$0$22514$5a62ac22
    >@freenews.iinet.net.au:
    >

    >> "Mitchell Holman" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> What is the leading swivel body camera
    >>> right now? The design is perfect for the
    >>> shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    >>> to have abandoned it.
    >>>

    >> I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel

    >design
    >> camera.
    >> Maybe you can tell me the advantages?

    > Taking shots from angles other than
    >eye-level, for starters.

    Cameras with swivel screens do the same job - Canon G3/G5 and some
    Pentax for example.

    MJ
    , Feb 24, 2004
  6. Mitchell Holman

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel design
    > camera.
    > Maybe you can tell me the advantages?
    > To me the biggest disadvantage would be the chance of connection breakages
    > between the two "halves".
    > On top of that I have yet to see one with a half decent lens!

    Your pictures probably aren't very good if you take them at eye level all
    the time...

    Have you ever shot a picture overhead? Swiveling the LCD down towards
    yourself gives you a view of what you're looking at.

    Have you ever shot a picture at ground level? Swiveling the LCD up towards
    yourself gives you a view of what you're looking at.

    These are the basis of many of my creative shots... taking the photo from an
    angle not normally seen by human eyes.

    Go to eBay, where you'll find the world's worst photographers. You will
    find almost exclusively eye-level shots of objects on the floor, objects
    standing up (camera pointed eye-level), and very very far away shots, not to
    mention the "macro" blobs that everybody invariably takes.

    My eBay auctions, which include hi-res photos taken nowhere near eye level,
    and often taken in distorting proportions, garner 20% to 40% more money than
    competing auctions, simply because my photos are more pleasing to
    everybody's eye than the junk most people take.

    Try it, even if you don't have a swivel body. You'll find a world of
    difference.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    ZeeExSixAre, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Mitchell Holman

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > What is the leading swivel body camera
    > right now? The design is perfect for the
    > shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    > to have abandoned it.

    I have a Coolpix 990. I was thinking about upgrading to the Coolpix 4500
    later, but my 3MP really serves me well, and I have no plans on replacing it
    in the near future.

    I agree... it's so versatile, I can't imagine what I would do without it.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training
    ZeeExSixAre, Feb 24, 2004
  8. Mitchell Holman

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel design
    >camera.
    >Maybe you can tell me the advantages?
    >To me the biggest disadvantage would be the chance of connection breakages
    >between the two "halves".
    >On top of that I have yet to see one with a half decent lens!
    >
    >Gerrit - Oz

    Probably the best lens in the 5 megapixel class is on a swivel design in the
    form of the Sony F707 and F717.

    Swivel body or LCD helps for say overhead shots where people or any other thing
    would be in the way.
    zbzbzb, Feb 24, 2004
  9. "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message

    > Probably the best lens in the 5 megapixel class is on a swivel design in

    the
    > form of the Sony F707 and F717.
    >
    > Swivel body or LCD helps for say overhead shots where people or any other

    thing
    > would be in the way.

    Better than the Nikon and Canon lenses on the SLR digitals?

    Gerrit - Oz
    Gerrit 't Hart, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Mitchell Holman

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Probably the best lens in the 5 megapixel class is on a swivel design in
    >the
    >> form of the Sony F707 and F717.
    >>
    >> Swivel body or LCD helps for say overhead shots where people or any other

    >thing
    >> would be in the way.
    >>

    >Better than the Nikon and Canon lenses on the SLR digitals?
    >
    >Gerrit - Oz

    The F707 and the F717 were rated the best in that class by dpreview.com. The
    closest is the Canon and the Nikons are very noticeably softer in the
    resolution chart pics on the site. That seems to be the norm for all the Nikons
    in the non DSLr class.
    zbzbzb, Feb 24, 2004
  11. > What is the leading swivel body camera
    > right now? The design is perfect for the
    > shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    > to have abandoned it.

    Nikon Coolpix 4500

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 24, 2004
  12. "Seymore" <> wrote in

    > Sony... F717 and F828
    >
    > Seymore...
    > Owner of an S85... and luvin' it!

    Thanks for the update. Will look into it.

    Mitchell Holman, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Mitchell Holman

    John Navas Guest

    In <eHD_b.809$> on Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:14:08
    -0500, "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote:

    >Go to eBay, where you'll find the world's worst photographers. You will
    >find almost exclusively eye-level shots of objects on the floor, objects
    >standing up (camera pointed eye-level), and very very far away shots, not to
    >mention the "macro" blobs that everybody invariably takes.
    >
    >My eBay auctions, which include hi-res photos taken nowhere near eye level,
    >and often taken in distorting proportions, garner 20% to 40% more money than
    >competing auctions, simply because my photos are more pleasing to
    >everybody's eye than the junk most people take.
    >
    >Try it, even if you don't have a swivel body. ...

    In the case of auction items, just put them on a table before photographing
    them. ;-)

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 24, 2004
  14. Mitchell Holman

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on 24 Feb 2004 13:25:04
    GMT, bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

    >>> Probably the best lens in the 5 megapixel class is on a swivel design in the
    >>> form of the Sony F707 and F717.
    >>>
    >>> Swivel body or LCD helps for say overhead shots where people or any other thing
    >>> would be in the way.

    >>Better than the Nikon and Canon lenses on the SLR digitals?

    >The F707 and the F717 were rated the best in that class by dpreview.com. The
    >closest is the Canon and the Nikons are very noticeably softer in the
    >resolution chart pics on the site. That seems to be the norm for all the Nikons
    >in the non DSLr class.

    He said "SLR digitals" (not non DSLr class), where both Canon and Nikon have
    lenses notably better than the F707 and F717.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Mitchell Holman

    Dan Pidcock Guest

    "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote in message news:<403b3b1a$0$22519$>...
    > "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Probably the best lens in the 5 megapixel class is on a swivel design in

    > the
    > > form of the Sony F707 and F717.
    > >
    > > Swivel body or LCD helps for say overhead shots where people or any other

    > thing
    > > would be in the way.
    > >

    > Better than the Nikon and Canon lenses on the SLR digitals?
    >
    > Gerrit - Oz

    Didn't realise Nikon and Canon had swivel design SLRs. Where can I
    get more info - I want one.
    Dan Pidcock, Feb 24, 2004
  16. "ZeeExSixAre" <> wrote in

    >> What is the leading swivel body camera
    >> right now? The design is perfect for the
    >> shots I want but most manufacturors seem
    >> to have abandoned it.

    > I have a Coolpix 990. I was thinking about upgrading to the Coolpix
    > 4500 later, but my 3MP really serves me well, and I have no plans on
    > replacing it in the near future.
    >
    > I agree... it's so versatile, I can't imagine what I would do without
    > it.

    I have the same model. But is slowly
    dying by degrees, and replacement time is
    nearing.

    Trouble is, I am sooo spoiled on the
    design. Being able to shoot pictures from
    over your head or from ankle level is just
    so....liberating. I could never return to
    eye-level-only photography.
    Mitchell Holman, Feb 25, 2004
  17. Mitchell Holman

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote

    > I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel design

    camera. Maybe you can tell me the advantages?

    If you're a 'shortarse' like me, it can allow you to shoot over the heads of
    a crowd. It also allows you to shoot low down without grovelling on the
    ground!

    I had a Rollieflex twin lens reflex for many years, and the Coolpix 995
    allows me to do most of the things I did with the Rollie.

    The swivel design is ideal for candids too, because you can sit there
    fiddling with the camera and people just assume you're text messaging on a
    mobile!

    I hope the design doesn't 'die', one day I'll need a replacement...

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Feb 25, 2004
  18. Mitchell Holman

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Paul Bartram" p.bartramATOR NEARoptusnet.com.au
    Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2004 12:48 AM

    "Gerrit 't Hart" <> wrote

    > I have never yet been able to fathom why anyone would want a swivel design

    camera. Maybe you can tell me the advantages?

    If you're a 'shortarse' like me, it can allow you to shoot over the heads of
    a crowd. It also allows you to shoot low down without grovelling on the
    ground!

    I had a Rollieflex twin lens reflex for many years, and the Coolpix 995
    allows me to do most of the things I did with the Rollie.

    The swivel design is ideal for candids too, because you can sit there
    fiddling with the camera and people just assume you're text messaging on a
    mobile!

    I hope the design doesn't 'die', one day I'll need a replacement...

    Paul
    >><BR><BR>

    It would seem that all of the above could be done with a camera that has a
    swivel LCD like the Canon G5. You also get the bonus of the ability to add a
    dedicated flash unit with Much less red eye problems and greater power.
    FredBillie, Feb 25, 2004
  19. Mitchell Holman

    bob Guest

    "Paul Bartram" <p.bartramAT OR NEARoptusnet.com.au> wrote in news:403c455f
    $0$28872$:

    > I hope the design doesn't 'die', one day I'll need a replacement...

    It didn't die, it evolved into the CP 5000 / 5400 line.

    Now the display swivels in two planes instead of just one.

    And it is very handy, especially for lateral displacement, like shooting
    from within a car. You can flip out the LCD, and hold the camera out the
    window pointed generally forward.

    Bob

    --
    remove the backwards "SPAM" to reply.
    bob, Feb 25, 2004
  20. Mitchell Holman

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:10:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital bob
    <> wrote:

    >"Paul Bartram" <p.bartramAT OR NEARoptusnet.com.au> wrote in news:403c455f
    >$0$28872$:
    >> I hope the design doesn't 'die', one day I'll need a replacement...

    >It didn't die, it evolved into the CP 5000 / 5400 line.
    >
    >Now the display swivels in two planes instead of just one.

    Sorry, but it is nowhere near as versatile in my experience with my 990
    compared to my 5700.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Feb 25, 2004