Swithing Unicode fonts

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Nik, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Nik

    Nik Guest

    I am using ISO Latin 2 (ISO 8859-2) and Unicode UTF-8 in Mozilla News
    browser on WinXP.

    No matter which font I set for the Unicode (Appearance, Fonts, Fonts for
    Unicode; I have tried, for instance, with 'Arial Unicode MS', 'Lucinda
    Sans Unicode' and 'Sanskrit 2003') the page always shows the messages in
    Courier (the message was sent in UTF-8 charset).

    I see all characters correctly and the browser switches the font to
    Arial, if certain characters appear in the text, like some devanÄgarÄ«
    text and certain Latin charaters: 'ḥ' (h underdot), È Èƒ (vowels with
    tonic accent diacritics). But this change happens only for this
    character and after that browser switches back to Courier...

    How could I set the browser so that the UTF-8 messages would use the
    same font in the whole message, and possibly some new Unicode font that
    I installed on the system.

    TIA.

    Nik
    Nik, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Nik

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:36:23 +0200, in message
    <d4t2n8$gah$>, Nik wrote:

    > I am using ISO Latin 2 (ISO 8859-2) and Unicode UTF-8 in Mozilla News
    > browser on WinXP.
    >
    > No matter which font I set for the Unicode (Appearance, Fonts, Fonts for
    > Unicode; I have tried, for instance, with 'Arial Unicode MS', 'Lucinda
    > Sans Unicode' and 'Sanskrit 2003') the page always shows the messages in
    > Courier (the message was sent in UTF-8 charset).

    I'm sure you know that
    • Courier is a fixed width (monospace) font
    • 'Arial Unicode MS' is a variable width (proportional) font
    and a sans-serif font.

    1. What is your setting at

    Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
    ---Plain Text Messages---
    Use this font when displaying plain text messages---
    (•) Fixed width font
    ( ) Variable width font

    2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
    there are actually 5 different places to select a font
    Serif
    Sans-serif
    Cursive
    Fantasy
    Monospace
    Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

    3. Note that

    3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.

    3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
    in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
    the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
    "Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

    > I see all characters correctly and the browser switches the font to
    > Arial, if certain characters appear in the text, like some devan?gar?
    > text and certain Latin charaters: '?' (h underdot), ? ? (vowels with
    > tonic accent diacritics). But this change happens only for this
    > character and after that browser switches back to Courier...

    That is because you selected "fixed width font", but those certain
    characters do not exist in the fixed width (monospaced) font which
    you have configured. So the browser temporarily uses another font.

    > How could I set the browser so that the UTF-8 messages would use the
    > same font in the whole message, and possibly some new Unicode font that
    > I installed on the system.

    If you want to use a variable-width (proportional) sans-serif font
    like 'Arial Unicode MS', then

    1. Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
    Select "Variable width font" (because that is what 'Arial Unicode MS'
    is).

    2. Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Fonts, Fonts for Unicode

    2.1 Set "Proportional" to Sans-serif (because those are what
    'Arial Unicode MS' is).
    2.2 Set Sans-serif to 'Arial Unicode MS'.

    Adjust as needed if your Unicode font is
    • a variable-width (proportional) serif font;
    • a fixed width (monospaced) font.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Apr 29, 2005

  3. Nik

    Nik Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > I'm sure you know that
    > • Courier is a fixed width (monospace) font
    > • 'Arial Unicode MS' is a variable width (proportional) font
    > and a sans-serif font.

    Yes.

    > 1. What is your setting at
    >
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Message Display
    > ---Plain Text Messages---
    > Use this font when displaying plain text messages---
    > (•) Fixed width font
    > ( ) Variable width font

    Yeah, here was the problem. I completely missed this option.

    > 2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
    > there are actually 5 different places to select a font
    > Serif
    > Sans-serif
    > Cursive
    > Fantasy
    > Monospace
    > Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

    All. If the message (or page) is in UTF-8 (lets say devanÄgarÄ« and latin
    with diacritics), all have to have the Unicode font, or?

    > 3. Note that
    >
    > 3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.
    >
    > 3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
    > in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
    > the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
    > "Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

    Tricky. I would still like Courier for normal messages (ISO 8859-2).

    Now I have chosen "Variable width font" and the "Proportional" setting
    on "Sans Serif" (it seems this "Proportional" setting is not remembered
    for each code page separately?).

    For Unicode I have set "Arial Unicode MS" font (on all options) and for
    "Central European" I have set "Courier New" on the 'Sans-serif font'
    option (which is I guess wrong, but it worked!)

    Thanks again.
    Nik
    Nik, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Nik

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:25:56 +0200, in message
    <d4tg5o$ig6$>, Nik wrote:

    > > 2. When you tried setting the font for Unicode to 'Arial Unicode MS',
    > > there are actually 5 different places to select a font
    > > Serif
    > > Sans-serif
    > > Cursive
    > > Fantasy
    > > Monospace
    > > Which one(s) of these did you set to 'Arial Unicode MS'?

    > All.

    Hmmm. I had (wrongly) thought that Mozilla only listed monospaced fonts
    in the "Monospace" drop down list (so 'Arial Unicode MS' would not
    have been an option), but checking now I see that this was wrong.

    Checking further... Netscape 4 only lists monospaced fonts in its
    "Monospace" drop down list, so maybe that is where I retained this
    impression from.

    > If the message (or page) is in UTF-8 (lets say devanÄgarÄ« and latin
    > with diacritics), all have to have the Unicode font, or?

    All these fonts would have to be set to Unicode fonts, but not
    necessarily the same font.

    > > 3. Note that
    > >
    > > 3.1 "Fixed width font" in #1 means the "Monospace" font in #2.
    > >
    > > 3.2 "Variable width font" in #1 means either the "Serif" font
    > > in #2 or the "Sans-serif" font in #2, depending on whether
    > > the "Proportional" setting above these in #2 is set to
    > > "Serif" or to "Sans-serif".

    > Tricky. I would still like Courier for normal messages (ISO 8859-2).

    Understandable.

    > Now I have chosen "Variable width font" and the "Proportional" setting
    > on "Sans Serif"

    OK.

    > (it seems this "Proportional" setting is not remembered
    > for each code page separately?).

    I just checked and you are right.
    It seems an odd way to do things, as
    (b) Ones preferred font for script A might be serif and
    for script B might be sans-serif.
    (a) The layout of that preferences page suggests it is a
    should be, like the other settings in the same box,
    remembered separately.

    > For Unicode I have set "Arial Unicode MS" font (on all options)

    There are some monospaced fonts with good unicode character ranges,
    but I don't know of one which includes devanÄgarÄ«.

    > and for
    > "Central European" I have set "Courier New" on the 'Sans-serif font'
    > option (which is I guess wrong, but it worked!)

    OK if it works for you.

    It's not wrong to select a monospaced font here.

    (However, the picky could complain that "Courier New" is a serif
    font, and so its strictly wrong to select it for that reason.) :)

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Apr 30, 2005