    Is this just some silly arbritary restriction on that model or are there
    protocol/architectural reasons that prevent combination of trunk ports
    and multi ports on any/all switches ?
    JF Mezei, Oct 27, 2009

  2. JF Mezei

    Guest

    Re: Switchport multi and trunk lines

    Hi,

    You can't use multi-VLAN mode when trunk is enabled.

    Giorgos

    --

    NetPros
    http://netpros.freeforums.org

    On 27 Ïêô, 12:44, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > I have what is now considered an ancient 2924 switch
    > IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC16,
    > (Enterprise Edition Software).
    >
    > It will not let me define one port to be
    >
    > switchport mode multi
    > switchport multi vlan 10,20
    >
    > with an error message about this not being possible when there is a
    > "trunk" port defined on the switch.
    >
    > Is this just some silly arbritary restriction on that model or are there
    > protocol/architectural reasons that prevent combination of trunk ports
    > and multi ports on any/all switches ?
    , Oct 27, 2009

  3. Re: Switchport multi and trunk lines

    JF Mezei <> writes:
    >I have what is now considered an ancient 2924 switch
    >IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC16,
    >(Enterprise Edition Software).

    >It will not let me define one port to be

    >switchport mode multi
    >switchport multi vlan 10,20

    >with an error message about this not being possible when there is a
    >"trunk" port defined on the switch.

    >Is this just some silly arbritary restriction on that model or are there
    >protocol/architectural reasons that prevent combination of trunk ports
    >and multi ports on any/all switches ?

    Multi-VLAN mode was never well supported, and had a bunch of
    restrictions, one of which is what you see, no multi-vlans if any
    trunk port exists. I assume they did this for security purposes,
    although it could have been an internal implementation limitation.

    Cisco dropped multi-vlan mode after this switch model was EOL'd, and
    no other cisco switches since have supported it.
    Doug McIntyre, Oct 27, 2009