    if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

    busby

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. Carl Waring Guest

    wrote:
    > Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
    > I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
    > keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
    > rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
    > in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    > if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
    >
    > busby

    Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's no
    way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are able
    to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line. At least, they used to
    :)

    --
    Carl Waring
    http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

    Carl Waring, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh :
    > Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
    > I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
    > keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
    > rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
    > in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    > if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
    >
    > busby

    Instead of paying Vonage a monthly fee for free calls, why not use VoIP Stunt
    or SIP Discount?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Adrian Guest

    wrote:
    > Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
    > I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
    > keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
    > rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
    > in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    > if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
    >
    > busby

    There is no way round it.
    --
    Adrian A

    Adrian, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:23:34 GMT, "Carl Waring"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
    >> I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
    >> keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
    >> rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
    >> in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    >> if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.
    >>
    >> busby

    >Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's no
    >way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are able
    >to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line. At least, they used to
    >:)

    I can confirm that they do - I use BY myself for that very reason.
    Vonage is OK, I suppose, for non-tech people who have money to burn.
    If you buy your own ATA or router/ATA then your monthly outgoings will
    be considerably less. If you use Vonage you are really are paying
    through the nose. You probably would be better using 1899 from your BT
    line. For £9.99 you can get 333 UK calls.
    If you want to use voip spend a bit of time setting up an ATA. That
    will give you a choice of any voip operator you want to use. Being
    tied in with Vonage is like being tied in with BT - Why would you want
    to do that unless you don't care about what you spend !
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:53:02 GMT, Brian A
    <> wrote:

    >I can confirm that they do - I use BY myself for that very reason.

    You can now have BY broadband alone any level without any add on's if
    you wish.
    >Vonage is OK, I suppose, for non-tech people who have money to burn.

    Vonage is good if you have the "usage" to make it viable but services
    that are equally has good such has "Freetalk" and without any of the
    frills you get with Vonage which the residential customer would not
    really make use of anyway . I closed our Vonage account last night
    only because it wasn't being used enough having also two Freetalk
    lines, Freetalk wasn't around when I first subscribed to Vonage had
    they been I would never entertained Vonage.
    >If you buy your own ATA or router/ATA then your monthly outgoings will
    >be considerably less.

    But you do have a large initial outlay for the ATA my Sipura 2000 cost
    eighty pounds that is over six pounds a month over and above any
    subscription and call cost to a voip provider over a 12 month period.
    > If you use Vonage you are really are paying through the nose.

    I would not call paying under 2.30 a week for has many geographical
    numbered calls to UK and Ireland has you wish to make paying through
    the nose especially in comparison with robbing BT's charges .
    >If you want to use voip spend a bit of time setting up an ATA. That
    >will give you a choice of any voip operator you want to use. Being
    >tied in with Vonage is like being tied in with BT

    I do not see the point of going down the voip road at all if you need
    a BT landline or any other landline provider for that matter to get
    on the internet .

    , Feb 9, 2006
  7. Guest

    wrote:
    > Considering moving my voice line from BT to Vonage. However in my town
    > I beleive there is no cabling except BT. Vonage have warned me that to
    > keep my ADSL (Plusnet) I will have to retain my BT line and line
    > rental. Can anyone see a way around this please? There is little point
    > in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    > if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

    Be careful.

    By all means use Vonage or another VOIP for outgoing or to supplement
    your incoming calls. But that BT line & number may be a lifeline for
    two reasons:

    * An ADSL link is inherently less reliable - power outages, routers,
    ISPs etc.

    * VOIP providers are a risk. Only a few are likely to survive and
    charging regimes are likely to be volatile. Vonage is particulary
    vulnerable. They managed to lose $189.6m in the first nine months of
    2005 on sales of $174m. They have blown $650m on 'marketing' and
    looking to raise more. Shades of the dot.com bubble. If they do go down
    I'm not sure what happens to your number.

    Stuart

    , Feb 9, 2006
  8. TheMgt Guest

    Carl Waring wrote:

    > Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no, there's
    > no way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I *think* they are
    > able to offer their top TV package *without* a phone line.

    Why would you want their TV package for VoIP ?

    TheMgt, Feb 9, 2006
  9. Martin² Guest

    >There is little point
    >in fixing my voice calls at £9.99 per month with Vonage or any others
    >if I still have to pay BT for the ADSL line.

    Exactly ! From frying pan to the fire...
    But there is a way, find consenting close neighbour, share his broadband
    via WiFi, split the cost, make (nearly) free VoIP calls and laugh all the
    way past the BT exchange to the bank !
    Use mobile phone for emergencies.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Feb 10, 2006
  10. Guest

    Thanks everyone, sounds like a minefield. The other thing with Vonage
    is that I'd have to change my phone number. Is that inevitable too
    whichever voip I choose?
    Busby

    , Feb 10, 2006
  11. Carl Waring Guest

    TheMgt wrote:
    > Carl Waring wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, that's the 'catch-22' with VoIP right now and no,
    >> there's no way around it, other than to go with BY of course as I
    >> *think* they are able to offer their top TV package *without* a
    >> phone line.

    > Why would you want their TV package for VoIP ?

    Fair point. You can get their Broadband without paying for either TV or
    phone.

    Carl Waring, Feb 10, 2006
  12. wrote:
    > Thanks everyone, sounds like a minefield. The other thing with Vonage
    > is that I'd have to change my phone number. Is that inevitable too
    > whichever voip I choose?
    > Busby

    Unless you live in london or very near london then I'm afraid it is. (at
    the moment)

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 10, 2006
  13. Niko Patera Guest

    Just a suggestion; why don' you use VOIP only for your outgoing calls?

    There are a few providers that will give you this option cheap.

    Niko Patera, Feb 10, 2006
  14. Guest

    Thanks I'll look into that

    , Feb 11, 2006