    way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
    Thanks
    rr
    rr, Dec 16, 2003

  2. rr

    Harrison Guest

    If you have an open USB port you may want to consider a USB headset.
    Mine allows me to choose whether or not to allow the speakers to also
    work. No reboot required.

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003

  3. rr

    Brian H¹© Guest

    rr said:

    > I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
    > headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
    > way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
    > Thanks
    > rr

    Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the speakers or
    headset from the sound card?
    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  4. rr

    Scrote Guest

    Tony, who knows nothing wrote

    This`ll do it especially if your a gamer...
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/sidewinder/GameVoice.asp

    semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......kinda

    Scrote, Dec 16, 2003
  5. rr

    John Holmes Guest

    Brian H¹© came up with this:

    > Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
    > speakers or headset from the sound card?

    Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen this
    happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a grounded
    outlet.

    --
    John Holmes, aTheist #666

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Dec 16, 2003
  6. rr

    Brian H¹© Guest

    John Holmes said:

    > Brian H¹© came up with this:
    >
    >> Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
    >> speakers or headset from the sound card?

    > Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen this
    > happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a grounded
    > outlet.

    Never heard that one before, and I've being pulling plugs from soundcards for as
    long as soundcards have been used in computers.

    Not something I would do on a proper stereo with a 120watt per channel power amp
    with the volume turned up whilst playing AC/DC though I must admit.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  7. rr

    John Holmes Guest

    Brian H¹© came up with this:

    > John Holmes said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© came up with this:
    >>
    >>> Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
    >>> speakers or headset from the sound card?

    >> Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen
    >> this happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a
    >> grounded outlet.

    > Never heard that one before, and I've being pulling plugs from
    > soundcards for as long as soundcards have been used in computers.
    >
    > Not something I would do on a proper stereo with a 120watt per channel
    > power amp with the volume turned up whilst playing AC/DC though I must
    > admit.

    LOL

    --
    John Holmes, aTheist #666

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Dec 16, 2003
  8. rr

    Gimpy Guest

    it..........http://electronicsusa.com/
    Gimpy, Dec 16, 2003
  9. rr

    Zknb Guest

    You dont turn off you stereo just to plug in a pair of head phones do
    you?

    It is just the same as any home stereo wit ha head phone jack.

    You can not damage your soundcard in any way by unplugging your
    speakers and plugging in head phones.

    Zknb, Dec 17, 2003