Switching motherboards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I just bought a motherboard to allow me to upgrade as cash allows. My
    present board is an ECS K7S5A Pro. OS: Windows XP Home Edition, 768
    RAM PC2100, two hard drives, one a 20 gig. Western Digital, and one a
    30 gig. Quantum Fireball.

    The new board is a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Here's the site for the
    board: http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400 Pro2.htm

    Unfortunately, it has added a new wrinkle to mobo installation for me,
    and something I apparently don't understand -- RAID function.

    There are 4 IDE slots now on this board, the ones you normally plug
    CD-ROMs and hard drives into (IDE 1 and 2) and the ones apparently
    controlled by the RAID controller (IDE 3 and 4). If I plug the stuff
    into 1 and 2 as normal, it detects the drives on the opening screen
    but doesn't detect them on the next screen. If I plug them into 3 and
    4 it detects the hard drives only, which leads me to believe that RAID
    doesn't support ATAPI devices. However, the next step is the bear -- I
    have to configure my drives into an "array", which is new to me. I
    seem to have figured out how to do that, but it still won't boot to my
    new array.

    Do I need to install RAID drivers before I try to boot the machine? I
    have copied the appropriate XP drivers onto a floppy, but I hesitate
    to completely take out this board again and put in the new one if the
    blasted thing ain't gonna work this time. I would, understandably,
    like to know how to do it without having to completely wipe the
    drives, if possible.
    Tony, Jan 11, 2004