Switching motherboards

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tony, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I bought a new motherboard to allow me to upgrade as cash allows. My
    present motherboard is an ECS K7S5A Pro; the board I bought is a
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2.

    Here's the site for the Gigabyte board:

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400 Pro2.htm

    And now my problem:

    I just bought a different motherboard to allow me to upgrade, piece by
    piece, in the future. It's a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2. Unfortunately, it
    has added a new wrinkle to mobo installation for me, and something I
    apparently don't understand -- RAID function.

    There are 4 IDE slots now on this board, the ones you normally plug
    CD-ROMs and hard drives into (IDE 1 and 2) and the ones apparently
    controlled by the RAID controller (IDE 3 and 4). If I plug the stuff
    into 1 and 2 as normal, it detects the drives on the opening screen
    but doesn't detect them on the next screen. If I plug them into 3 and
    4 it detects the hard drives only, which leads me to believe that RAID
    doesn't support ATAPI devices. However, the next step is the bear -- I
    have to configure my drives into an "array", which is new to me. I
    seem to have figured out how to do that, but it still won't boot to my
    new array.

    Do I need to install RAID drivers before I try to boot the machine? I
    have copied the appropriate XP drivers onto a floppy, but I hesitate
    to completely take out this board again and put in the new one if the
    blasted thing ain't gonna work this time. I want to do this without
    having to format, if possible. What're my chances, and who can give
    me a detailed explanation of what's going on here?
    Tony, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Tony

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401111501.2ef7068
    @posting.google.com:

    > There are 4 IDE slots now on this board, the ones you normally plug
    > CD-ROMs and hard drives into (IDE 1 and 2) and the ones apparently
    > controlled by the RAID controller (IDE 3 and 4). If I plug the stuff
    > into 1 and 2 as normal, it detects the drives on the opening screen
    > but doesn't detect them on the next screen. If I plug them into 3 and
    > 4 it detects the hard drives only, which leads me to believe that RAID
    > doesn't support ATAPI devices. However, the next step is the bear -- I
    > have to configure my drives into an "array", which is new to me. I
    > seem to have figured out how to do that, but it still won't boot to my
    > new array.

    The RAID controller will only support IDE hard drives, not ATAPI CDROM
    drives. IDE0 and 1 (or 1 and 2) are controlled by the motherboard's
    BIOS. The other two are controlled by the RAID controller and it's
    BIOS. You can use the RAID ports as an extra 2 ports for hard drives,
    simply install the drives there but do not set up an array with them.
    You do not have to set up all the drives on the RAID controller as parts
    of a RAID array.

    > Do I need to install RAID drivers before I try to boot the machine? I
    > have copied the appropriate XP drivers onto a floppy, but I hesitate
    > to completely take out this board again and put in the new one if the
    > blasted thing ain't gonna work this time. I want to do this without
    > having to format, if possible. What're my chances, and who can give
    > me a detailed explanation of what's going on here?

    If you are booting off of NT/2000/XP, in order to boot from the RAID
    controller drives you need to press F6 when prompted during the install
    and give it a driver diskette for the RAID controller. Otherwise, you
    will get a bluescreen saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE" or similar.

    If you want to set up your drives as a RAID array but already have data
    on them, you will have two options:
    Don't use the drives as a RAID array
    Use them as an array and either backup all the data on both of them and
    copy it back after you set up the array, or lose everything on them.

    There is no way to create or destroy a RAID array without destroying all
    data on the drives.
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:<Xns946DBCD9CCB19Wobbly@216.168.3.30>...
    > (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401111501.2ef7068
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > There are 4 IDE slots now on this board, the ones you normally plug
    > > CD-ROMs and hard drives into (IDE 1 and 2) and the ones apparently
    > > controlled by the RAID controller (IDE 3 and 4). If I plug the stuff
    > > into 1 and 2 as normal, it detects the drives on the opening screen
    > > but doesn't detect them on the next screen. If I plug them into 3 and
    > > 4 it detects the hard drives only, which leads me to believe that RAID
    > > doesn't support ATAPI devices. However, the next step is the bear -- I
    > > have to configure my drives into an "array", which is new to me. I
    > > seem to have figured out how to do that, but it still won't boot to my
    > > new array.

    > The RAID controller will only support IDE hard drives, not ATAPI CDROM
    > drives. IDE0 and 1 (or 1 and 2) are controlled by the motherboard's
    > BIOS. The other two are controlled by the RAID controller and it's
    > BIOS. You can use the RAID ports as an extra 2 ports for hard drives,
    > simply install the drives there but do not set up an array with them.
    > You do not have to set up all the drives on the RAID controller as parts
    > of a RAID array.

    OK, question, then: I'd absolutely LOVE to just plug those things in
    to IDE1 and 2, but when I did that, it said I had no drives, and
    disabling GigaRAID in the BIOS didn't fix that. Is there something in
    that BIOS that I missed?
    Tony, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Tony

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401111839.2c08a673
    @posting.google.com:

    > OK, question, then: I'd absolutely LOVE to just plug those things in
    > to IDE1 and 2, but when I did that, it said I had no drives, and
    > disabling GigaRAID in the BIOS didn't fix that. Is there something in
    > that BIOS that I missed?

    No. The RAID BIOS will not see drives on IDE1 and IDE2.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Tony

    Brad Guest

    If I plug the stuff
    > > into 1 and 2 as normal, it detects the drives on the opening screen
    > > but doesn't detect them on the next screen. If I plug them into 3 and
    > > 4 it detects the hard drives only, which leads me to believe that RAID
    > > doesn't support ATAPI devices. However, the next step is the bear -- I
    > > have to configure my drives into an "array", which is new to me. I
    > > seem to have figured out how to do that, but it still won't boot to my
    > > new array.

    > If you are booting off of NT/2000/XP, in order to boot from the RAID
    > controller drives you need to press F6 when prompted during the install
    > and give it a driver diskette for the RAID controller. Otherwise, you
    > will get a bluescreen saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE" or similar.

    so if a person didnt want to use RAID right now, they just hook up the
    hard drives like normal, install the raid software so it doesnt
    complain, then when booting up, just hit escape to bypass that
    function?

    next question, when upgrading, will the disk from the old mother board
    boot up to the new mb?

    what stops a person from moving a disk thats working on a mb over
    here, and putting it over there?

    what if the old pc is a Pentium III 500, and the new one is Athlon?

    could this mb as described not be booting because the new mb isnt
    compatible with the compiled HAL from the old install of windows?
    Brad, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Tony

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Brad) wrote in news:8bfc6b3c.0401112000.61156da8
    @posting.google.com:

    > so if a person didnt want to use RAID right now, they just hook up the
    > hard drives like normal, install the raid software so it doesnt
    > complain, then when booting up, just hit escape to bypass that
    > function?

    In most cases, you simply enter the BIOS, enable the RAID controller,
    then when it prompts you while the RAID BIOS is loading to do something
    to enter it and set up arrays, do nothing.

    > next question, when upgrading, will the disk from the old mother board
    > boot up to the new mb?

    Usually not, unless they are the same chipset and disk controllers.

    > what stops a person from moving a disk thats working on a mb over
    > here, and putting it over there?

    Different platforms.

    > what if the old pc is a Pentium III 500, and the new one is Athlon?

    Odds are it won't work, due to architecture differences.

    > could this mb as described not be booting because the new mb isnt
    > compatible with the compiled HAL from the old install of windows?

    Exactly. The only case this works is when you have something like a
    drive in an nForce1 based machine. You can move that to any other
    nForce1, nForce2, or nForce3 based machine, as all the chipsets are
    "identical" for that purpose.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:<Xns946EBD454A84Wobbly@216.168.3.30>...
    > (Brad) wrote in news:8bfc6b3c.0401112000.61156da8
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > so if a person didnt want to use RAID right now, they just hook up the
    > > hard drives like normal, install the raid software so it doesnt
    > > complain, then when booting up, just hit escape to bypass that
    > > function?

    > In most cases, you simply enter the BIOS, enable the RAID controller,
    > then when it prompts you while the RAID BIOS is loading to do something
    > to enter it and set up arrays, do nothing.
    >
    > > next question, when upgrading, will the disk from the old mother board
    > > boot up to the new mb?

    If I have plugged in everything correctly, how about if I simply fire
    it up to boot from the CD-ROM with the Windows XP disk in, and tell it
    to repair Windows? Will it run through everything and detect the new
    hardware? Seems to me that's my next step.

    Tony, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Tony

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401120436.6630f1c8
    @posting.google.com:

    > If I have plugged in everything correctly, how about if I simply fire
    > it up to boot from the CD-ROM with the Windows XP disk in, and tell it
    > to repair Windows? Will it run through everything and detect the new
    > hardware? Seems to me that's my next step.

    Give it a shot, there isn't much harm it could do if it didn't work.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:<Xns946E6E8ACC5F8Wobbly@216.168.3.30>...
    > (Tony) wrote in news:4952fa57.0401120436.6630f1c8
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > If I have plugged in everything correctly, how about if I simply fire
    > > it up to boot from the CD-ROM with the Windows XP disk in, and tell it
    > > to repair Windows? Will it run through everything and detect the new
    > > hardware? Seems to me that's my next step.

    > Give it a shot, there isn't much harm it could do if it didn't work.

    As it turns out, that's all it took to solve the problem. I do have
    another question though -- the only glitch so far after getting things
    running is that I can't shut the machine off by using the Windows shut
    off button on screen. It simply restarts. I have to use the on/off
    button to do it. Where should I look for a solution?
    Tony, Jan 13, 2004