    upgrading everything, but I'm not sure...

    Thanks,
    Pablo

    Pablo, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Pablo

    Thor Guest

    "Pablo" <> wrote in message
    news:JNdUc.265220$a24.70687@attbi_s03...
    > This may be an ignorant question, but I've never dealt with this before,
    > and google hasn't come up with much, so I'll ask here.
    >
    > I've recently acquired a second computer, and I would like to make it my
    > new main computer. Am I able to take the hard drive from my current main
    > computer, and stick it in this new computer, without needing to
    > reformat? Basically...I just reinstalled everything on my computer, and
    > would like to avoid doing that again. If I stick the hard drive in the
    > newer computer, can I just run Windows XP and everything else, or do I
    > have to reformat the partition and reinstall everything since it would
    > be in a different computer?

    Windows is likely going to complain about a major hardware change. It can be
    anything from outright refusal to boot, to massive redetection of hardware,
    which may, or may not go smoothly. Most likely you'll have to do a repair
    install, which will not require you to reinstall all your apps. Put the
    drive into the new machine, boot to your WinXP cd, and run setup, choosing
    the repair install option. This should result in all the new hardware being
    discovered and installed. You may also need to re-activate windows with a
    major hardware change like that, so unless you have a copy that doesn't
    require activation, be prepared to do that as well.

    Thor, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Pablo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>This may be an ignorant question, but I've never dealt with this before,
    >>and google hasn't come up with much, so I'll ask here.
    >>
    >>I've recently acquired a second computer, and I would like to make it my
    >>new main computer. Am I able to take the hard drive from my current main
    >>computer, and stick it in this new computer, without needing to
    >>reformat? Basically...I just reinstalled everything on my computer, and
    >>would like to avoid doing that again. If I stick the hard drive in the
    >>newer computer, can I just run Windows XP and everything else, or do I
    >>have to reformat the partition and reinstall everything since it would
    >>be in a different computer?

    > Windows is likely going to complain about a major hardware change. It can be
    > anything from outright refusal to boot, to massive redetection of hardware,
    > which may, or may not go smoothly. Most likely you'll have to do a repair
    > install, which will not require you to reinstall all your apps. Put the
    > drive into the new machine, boot to your WinXP cd, and run setup, choosing
    > the repair install option. This should result in all the new hardware being
    > discovered and installed. You may also need to re-activate windows with a
    > major hardware change like that, so unless you have a copy that doesn't
    > require activation, be prepared to do that as well.

    Thanks, I'll try that later.

    Pablo, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Pablo

    Livewire Guest

    In article <JNdUc.265220$a24.70687@attbi_s03>,
    says...
    > This may be an ignorant question, but I've never dealt with this before,
    > and google hasn't come up with much, so I'll ask here.
    >
    > I've recently acquired a second computer, and I would like to make it my
    > new main computer. Am I able to take the hard drive from my current main
    > computer, and stick it in this new computer, without needing to
    > reformat? Basically...I just reinstalled everything on my computer, and
    > would like to avoid doing that again. If I stick the hard drive in the
    > newer computer, can I just run Windows XP and everything else, or do I
    > have to reformat the partition and reinstall everything since it would
    > be in a different computer?
    >
    > I figure that it might work, since it'd basically be the same as
    > upgrading everything, but I'm not sure...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Pablo

    You might be better making a copy of the old drive onto the drive in the
    new computer. Norton Ghost or suchlike will do that.

    Then do what Thor suggests. But if anything goes wrong, you've still got
    your original drive intact.

    I would install from scratch, though. Windows builds up baggage as it is
    used over the months and years. A new installation has every chance of
    being more stable and working faster than your existing version. It's a
    pain to have to install your applications, but once it's done you've got
    a spot-on new computer.

    Livewire, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Livewire wrote:
    > In article <JNdUc.265220$a24.70687@attbi_s03>,
    > says...
    >
    >>This may be an ignorant question, but I've never dealt with this before,
    >>and google hasn't come up with much, so I'll ask here.
    >>
    >>I've recently acquired a second computer, and I would like to make it my
    >>new main computer. Am I able to take the hard drive from my current main
    >>computer, and stick it in this new computer, without needing to
    >>reformat? Basically...I just reinstalled everything on my computer, and
    >>would like to avoid doing that again. If I stick the hard drive in the
    >>newer computer, can I just run Windows XP and everything else, or do I
    >>have to reformat the partition and reinstall everything since it would
    >>be in a different computer?
    >>
    >>I figure that it might work, since it'd basically be the same as
    >>upgrading everything, but I'm not sure...
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Pablo
    >>

    > You might be better making a copy of the old drive onto the drive in the
    > new computer. Norton Ghost or suchlike will do that.
    >
    > Then do what Thor suggests. But if anything goes wrong, you've still got
    > your original drive intact.
    >
    > I would install from scratch, though. Windows builds up baggage as it is
    > used over the months and years. A new installation has every chance of
    > being more stable and working faster than your existing version. It's a
    > pain to have to install your applications, but once it's done you've got
    > a spot-on new computer.

    Well...I just reformatted the partition and installed XP less than a
    month ago, which is why I'm not enthusiastic on the idea of starting
    over again if not necessary. I agree though, redoing everything probably
    would be better.

    I can't make a copy from drive to drive, either. My main drive is 60GB,
    and the other two I have are both only 10GB.

    Thanks though.

    Pablo, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Pablo

    Matt Guest

    Pablo,

    If you are really lucky & the new computer has the
    same IDE controller chipset as the old computer
    XP may boot.

    If the chipset is different, XP will definately not
    boot. There will be an attempt to come up
    then likely a Stop 0x0000007b error or
    HAL problem

    There are ways around this issue - but likely
    the newer PC has such differing hardware
    that other problems are likely to emerge.

    Thor's suggestion of an XP repair is a good option
    here.

    Matt, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Matt wrote:

    > Pablo,
    >
    > If you are really lucky & the new computer has the
    > same IDE controller chipset as the old computer
    > XP may boot.
    >
    > If the chipset is different, XP will definately not
    > boot. There will be an attempt to come up
    > then likely a Stop 0x0000007b error or
    > HAL problem
    >
    > There are ways around this issue - but likely
    > the newer PC has such differing hardware
    > that other problems are likely to emerge.
    >
    > Thor's suggestion of an XP repair is a good option
    > here.

    Yeah, Thor's suggestion worked, and everything is fine (other than the
    ethernet card which didn't work, and the video card which will need
    replaced, but hey, it was free).

    Pablo, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Pablo

    lostcoder

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Glad I saw this and happy that Thor's post helped. I am putting together a new system. I plan to put my old IDE drive in the new system and hopefully it will boot. I then can add a new sata drive and copy the IDE over to it and make it the boot drive.

    If I am repeating something, I apologize, would like your thoughts please.

    lostcoder

    lostcoder, Sep 4, 2009