Switching Hard Drives between machines with XP installed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Bartlett, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice

    I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    motherboard.

    Machine 1.
    Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    512 Mb Ram
    40 GB Seagate system drive
    80Gb Seagate data drive
    32 Mb Graphics card
    Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    Windows XP.

    Machine 2.
    Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    512 Mb Ram
    20 Gb Maxtor
    64 Mb Graphics card
    Windows XP.

    What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    400 DDR Ram.

    MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

    Cheers

    JB
    John Bartlett, Feb 8, 2008

  2. On Feb 9, 11:58 am, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:
    > Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >
    > I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    > motherboard.
    >
    > Machine 1.
    > Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 40 GB Seagate system drive
    > 80Gb Seagate data drive
    > 32 Mb Graphics card
    > Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Machine 2.
    > Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 20 Gb Maxtor
    > 64 Mb Graphics card
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    > the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    > faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    > 400 DDR Ram.
    >
    > MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    > operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    > problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    It MAY work.... or you will get blue screens on one or both machines.
    It depends....I installed a new motherboard on a machine a while ago,
    but it was from the same manufacturer and a much newer model in the
    same series, the major difference being that it was designed for
    currently available CPU's. There was enough in common that I got away
    with it.

    You will definitely have to reactivate XP on both though, due to
    having made significant hardware changes

    Regards
    Peter Jenkins
    see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz
    Peter Jenkins, Feb 8, 2008

  3. John Bartlett

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    > Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >
    > I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a
    > better motherboard.
    >
    > Machine 1.
    > Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 40 GB Seagate system drive
    > 80Gb Seagate data drive
    > 32 Mb Graphics card
    > Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Machine 2.
    > Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 20 Gb Maxtor
    > 64 Mb Graphics card
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    > the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    > faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    > 400 DDR Ram.
    >
    > MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    > operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    > problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

    I've found that the most important 'part' influencing whether this will work
    is the chipset. You don't list them (although if I was less lazy I could
    look them up).

    If they have similar chipsets, or at least the same 'brand' chipsets, the
    odds are better of the transplant working.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2008
  4. John Bartlett

    Rhino Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >
    >I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    >motherboard.
    >
    >Machine 1.
    >Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >512 Mb Ram
    >40 GB Seagate system drive
    >80Gb Seagate data drive
    >32 Mb Graphics card
    >Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >Machine 2.
    >Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >512 Mb Ram
    >20 Gb Maxtor
    >64 Mb Graphics card
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    >the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    >faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    >400 DDR Ram.
    >
    >MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >
    >Cheers

    I have changed motherboards on Windows based boxes many times without
    trouble. Install your drives and boot into safe mode. Open the device
    manager and delete all entries under System Devices. Have your
    motherboard driver cd to hand and reboot. Load any chipset drivers and
    Windows will detect all your system devices again.

    I would suspect that you will have to re-activate Xp, as Peter has
    suggested.
    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Feb 9, 2008
  5. In article <>, John Bartlett did write:

    > MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    > operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    > problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

    Why don't you just reinstall?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 9, 2008
  6. Hi

    I assumed I'd have to download all the updates etc that I have kept up
    to date with over the last 4 years

    Cheers

    JB

    John Bartlett, Feb 9, 2008
  7. Thanks

    I'm not too techie so how would I check that?

    Cheers

    JB

    John Bartlett, Feb 9, 2008
  8. Thanks - sound s like a plan that might work - I have the MB driver disc
    for PC 1 but not the other at it's a bitsa...

    JB

    John Bartlett, Feb 9, 2008
  9. John Bartlett

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:

    >Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >
    >I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    >motherboard.
    >
    >Machine 1.
    >Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >512 Mb Ram
    >40 GB Seagate system drive
    >80Gb Seagate data drive
    >32 Mb Graphics card
    >Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >Machine 2.
    >Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >512 Mb Ram
    >20 Gb Maxtor
    >64 Mb Graphics card
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    >the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    >faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    >400 DDR Ram.
    >
    >MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >JB

    No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..
    , Feb 9, 2008
  10. In article <47ad4a10$>, John Bartlett did write:

    > I assumed I'd have to download all the updates etc that I have kept up
    > to date with over the last 4 years
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>, John Bartlett did write:
    >>
    >>> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >>> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >>> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

    >> Why don't you just reinstall?

    A: You take off your shoes to jump on a trampoline.
    Q: What's the difference between a top-poster and a trampoline?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 9, 2008
  11. John Bartlett

    Evad Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:08:32 +1300, wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >>
    >>I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    >>motherboard.
    >>
    >>Machine 1.
    >>Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >>512 Mb Ram
    >>40 GB Seagate system drive
    >>80Gb Seagate data drive
    >>32 Mb Graphics card
    >>Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >>Windows XP.
    >>
    >>Machine 2.
    >>Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >>512 Mb Ram
    >>20 Gb Maxtor
    >>64 Mb Graphics card
    >>Windows XP.
    >>
    >>What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    >>the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    >>faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    >>400 DDR Ram.
    >>
    >>MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >>operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >>problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>JB

    >No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..

    Bullshit
    Evad, Feb 9, 2008
  12. John Bartlett

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    > Thanks
    >
    > I'm not too techie so how would I check that?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    I just Googled them for you. The first board mentioned has an SIS chipset,
    the second a VIA chipset.

    Going by that information I would do as Rhino suggests and delete system
    devices before attempting to switch them around. However, be advised that
    you could end up with HDDs that won't boot in either machine if it goes
    wrong.

    The best thing to do in my opinion would be to do a clean re-install of each
    one. I know it'll take a while and involve a lot of downloads. However, if
    you've got all your irreplacable data backed up you can try Rhino's
    suggestion first.

    One thing I'd do first if I were you; Do a visual check of the large
    capacitors on the board you're migrating to first, check for any swelling of
    tops or 'tilting' due to the bottom bung being pushed partly out and also
    check for any electrolyte leakage. It's no good swapping to a system that
    could have problems.

    Good luck.
    --
    Shaun.

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    >>> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >>>
    >>> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a
    >>> better motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 1.
    >>> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 40 GB Seagate system drive
    >>> 80Gb Seagate data drive
    >>> 32 Mb Graphics card
    >>> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >>> Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 2.
    >>> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 20 Gb Maxtor

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2008
  13. John Bartlett

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    > Thanks - sound s like a plan that might work - I have the MB driver
    > disc for PC 1 but not the other at it's a bitsa...

    You can download the drivers from here:

    http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/MB/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Driver&no=142
    --
    Shaun.

    > Rhino wrote:
    >> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >>>
    >>> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a
    >>> better motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 1.
    >>> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 40 GB Seagate system drive
    >>> 80Gb Seagate data drive
    >>> 32 Mb Graphics card
    >>> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >>> Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 2.
    >>> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 20 Gb Maxtor

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2008
  14. wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >>
    >> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    >> motherboard.
    >>
    >> Machine 1.
    >> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >> 512 Mb Ram
    >> 40 GB Seagate system drive
    >> 80Gb Seagate data drive
    >> 32 Mb Graphics card
    >> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >> Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Machine 2.
    >> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >> 512 Mb Ram
    >> 20 Gb Maxtor
    >> 64 Mb Graphics card
    >> Windows XP.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    >> the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    >> faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    >> 400 DDR Ram.
    >>
    >> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> JB

    > No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..

    No I don't think so - both machines have their own legal, activated and
    patched versions of WinXP

    JB
    John Bartlett, Feb 9, 2008
  15. John Bartlett

    Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:42:41 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:58:35 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >>>
    >>> I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    >>> motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 1.
    >>> Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 40 GB Seagate system drive
    >>> 80Gb Seagate data drive
    >>> 32 Mb Graphics card
    >>> Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    >>> Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> Machine 2.
    >>> Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    >>> 512 Mb Ram
    >>> 20 Gb Maxtor
    >>> 64 Mb Graphics card
    >>> Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    >>> the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    >>> faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    >>> 400 DDR Ram.
    >>>
    >>> MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    >>> operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    >>> problems with them recognizing hardware etc.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> JB

    >> No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..
    >>

    >No I don't think so - both machines have their own legal, activated and
    >patched versions of WinXP
    >
    >JB

    Yes but they do check the Volume number of the hard drive, I have see a Util that lets to change
    this number so that you can get over this problem..
    , Feb 9, 2008
  16. John Bartlett

    Rob Simpson Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:55:38 +1300, noone propped his eyelids open with
    toothpicks and wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:42:41 +1300, John Bartlett <jb@.nospam.nz.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> No No No plus you will have to buy a another copy of XP..
    >>>

    >>No I don't think so - both machines have their own legal, activated and
    >>patched versions of WinXP
    >>
    >>JB

    > Yes but they do check the Volume number of the hard drive, I have see a
    > Util that lets to change this number so that you can get over this
    > problem..

    Another example of Woger having no idea what he's talking about.

    He may have to re-activate one or both copies of XP, but he certainly
    won't have to buy another copy.

    I suggest a new welcome message/mini faq be written for this group, with
    one of the first items being a warning to carefully check any advice by
    Woger before acting on it. That would probably be a waste of time though,
    as a list of his ever-changing usernames would have to be included and no-
    one would want to download a document that large.

    --

    Rob

    C Programmers do it recursively.
    Rob Simpson, Feb 9, 2008
  17. John Bartlett

    citizen142 Guest

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    citizen142, Feb 12, 2008
  18. Hi all

    Thanks for all the advice - have decided to scrap that idea altogether
    and invest in a whole new "box"
    with a fresh XP install (not Vista) and use 80GB data drive as a slave
    - all my peripherals and monitor OK so will just use them.

    I've given the Athlon 2000XP to my 11 year old grandson as it's in great
    working order and he will gmake good use of it... to learn!!!!!

    Cheers to you all

    JB

    John Bartlett, Feb 12, 2008
  19. John Bartlett

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Bartlett" typed:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Thanks for all the advice - have decided to scrap that idea altogether
    > and invest in a whole new "box"
    > with a fresh XP install (not Vista) and use 80GB data drive as a
    > slave - all my peripherals and monitor OK so will just use them.

    You can get good deals on "upgrade boxes". Remarkably cheap. It does pay to
    be aware of the components though, some are a lot better/longer-lasting than
    others.

    > I've given the Athlon 2000XP to my 11 year old grandson as it's in
    > great working order and he will gmake good use of it... to learn!!!!!

    Nice! That Athlon XP2000+ is still a very capable machine. I'm sure he'll
    get plenty of use out of it.

    > Cheers to you all

    And to you John.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 12, 2008
  20. John Bartlett

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, jb@.nospam.nz.net says...
    > Hi all you techie guys - looking for some expert advice
    >
    > I wish to switch my current hard drives to another machine with a better
    > motherboard.
    >
    > Machine 1.
    > Athlon 1700XP on a K7S5a Motherboard (266 FSB)
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 40 GB Seagate system drive
    > 80Gb Seagate data drive
    > 32 Mb Graphics card
    > Lite-on DVD writer etc.
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Machine 2.
    > Athlon 2000XP on Albatron KX600A-GE Motherboard (
    > 512 Mb Ram
    > 20 Gb Maxtor
    > 64 Mb Graphics card
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is move the two Seagate drives / DVD write etc onto
    > the Albatron Motherboard, add some more ram etc. and maybe later a
    > faster processor as this MB supports up to PC3200 cpu and up to 3GB of
    > 400 DDR Ram.
    >
    > MY BIG QUESTION. Will each machine reboot with the other's Windows XP
    > operating system after these changes have been made or will I have
    > problems with them recognizing hardware etc.

    As Rhino says, you should have few problems if you "vanilarise" your
    machines first. I won't repeat his reply, but it's worked for me on
    many occasions too.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 14, 2008