    reinstalll the os? Is this point out to any problem or simply I must
    reinstall the os on the new machine with the hd?

    Thank You.

    Raymond, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Raymond

    John D Loop Guest

    Well,
    Since those are different processors, I would suspect that the binaries on
    the hard disk simply may not work.
    Intel procesors are always backwards compatible, but I don't know about
    "forward compatible."
    Not only this, but if your hardware/motherboard is not exactly the same, I
    doubt it would work either.
    The windows install process has put a lot of hardware specific drivers, etc
    on your system.
    John
    --
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!

    2
    > system. I got into the boot menu with win200 and 9x listed, I pressed

    enter
    > to boot from one of the os, but the P 2 system kept restart after this

    step.

    John D Loop, Dec 14, 2003

  3. On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:59:12 -0600, "Raymond"
    <> wrote:

    >I just told my hard drive on my P 4 celeron machine out and put it into a P
    >2 system, and attemped to boot window 2000 and 9x on the hd off the new P 2
    >system. I got into the boot menu with win200 and 9x listed, I pressed enter
    >to boot from one of the os, but the P 2 system kept restart after this step.
    >Is this mean that I cannot just switch hd between systems and boot without
    >reinstalll the os? Is this point out to any problem or simply I must
    >reinstall the os on the new machine with the hd?
    >
    >Thank You.

    Try Safe Mode and/or a reinstall. Windows is expecting to see the
    original hardware it was installed on.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Raymond

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "Raymond"
    <> wrote:

    > I just told my hard drive on my P 4 celeron machine out and put it into a P
    > 2 system, and attemped to boot window 2000 and 9x on the hd off the new P 2
    > system. I got into the boot menu with win200 and 9x listed, I pressed enter
    > to boot from one of the os, but the P 2 system kept restart after this step.
    > Is this mean that I cannot just switch hd between systems and boot without
    > reinstalll the os? Is this point out to any problem or simply I must
    > reinstall the os on the new machine with the hd?
    >
    > Thank You.

    Switching HDD to another system is hit or miss. Sometimes it works,
    sometimes not.

    The problem is the OS starts loading drivers for equipment it does not
    have, so nothing knows how to communicate with anything else.

    Re-installing Windows is most likely the fix.

    Ghost, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Raymond

    dave Guest

    Raymond wrote:
    > I just told my hard drive on my P 4 celeron machine out and put it into a P
    > 2 system, and attemped to boot window 2000 and 9x on the hd off the new P 2
    > system. I got into the boot menu with win200 and 9x listed, I pressed enter
    > to boot from one of the os, but the P 2 system kept restart after this step.
    > Is this mean that I cannot just switch hd between systems and boot without
    > reinstalll the os? Is this point out to any problem or simply I must
    > reinstall the os on the new machine with the hd?

    Well, your using different processors for one thing.

    If you got the install disk, go into safe mode, and
    go to control panel, and remove from the hardware
    architecture all references to Buses, CPU, etc.

    Everything there should be empty.

    Then reboot, and let Windows perform an autodetect, and
    then place your Windows installation disk back into the
    CD-Rom.

    Either do that, or re-install.

    I would re-install, it would stop you from fuddling around
    for everything in the long run.

    Good luck.

    dave, Dec 14, 2003