Switching from Vista 32bit to 64bit..

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=, May 29, 2007.

  1. If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and later
    on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?
    =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=, May 29, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    pvdg42 Guest

    "Porkchop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and
    > later
    > on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

    Not as long as you replace the existing 32 bit installation with the 64 bit
    installation. IOW, one license, one installation.
    pvdg42, May 29, 2007

  3. Hi all,

    need to ask some question.
    can't create new thread because my 64 bit explorer block pop up.

    i use 64 bit vista and use nvidia 6600
    i already upgrade age of empire III and company of heroes online.
    but i still can't play the games because it's always crash in the middle of
    the game.

    is it because my 64 bit?
    should i change to 32 bit?

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym9ibyBjaGFu?=, May 29, 2007
  4. No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing 32-bit.
    It's a single license only, but you can choose which you install. (Note that
    this is ONLY true of teh Retail version, not the OEM. The OEM is more
    limited.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There have been problems with the nVidia video drivers, which continues. I
    have no idea if the 32-bit drivers that you would use with Vista32 would be
    any better. I would doubt it.

    John Barnes, May 29, 2007
  6. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing 32-bit.
    > It's a single license only, but you can choose which you install. (Note that
    > this is ONLY true of teh Retail version, not the OEM. The OEM is more
    > limited.)

    I bought an IBM T61. It comes with ultimate 32 bit, but I would like to
    install Vista ultimate 64. You said before that the license should work for
    the machine no matter what version it is running. So you think I can borrow
    vista ultimate 64 DVD and install it on my computer using the key that came
    with it?
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=, May 31, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    Theo Guest

    The version on your computer is most likely OEM and the
    rules are significantly different for OEM vs Retail. You
    need to contact IBM about your situation. Or, you can buy a
    Retail version. An OEM product key will not work with a
    Retail DVD.

    In fact, there doesn't appear to be any x64 support from
    Lenovo for your laptop. Check the downloads for drivers.

    Theo, May 31, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    Theo Guest

    I guess I must retract part of my statement. I didn't see
    any x64 listings in the operating system choices, but when I
    selected Vista I did find Vista x64 software and drivers.
    However, you're still stuck with the OEM version and the
    best thing to do is see if you can purchase an upgrade from
    Lenovo so you don't void your warranty.

    Theo wrote:
    > The version on your computer is most likely OEM and the rules are
    > significantly different for OEM vs Retail. You need to contact IBM
    > about your situation. Or, you can buy a Retail version. An OEM product
    > key will not work with a Retail DVD.
    >
    > In fact, there doesn't appear to be any x64 support from Lenovo for your
    > laptop. Check the downloads for drivers.
    >
    > Ivaylo wrote:
    >>
    >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing
    >>> 32-bit. It's a single license only, but you can choose which you
    >>> install. (Note that this is ONLY true of the Retail version, not the
    >>> OEM. The OEM is more limited.)

    Theo, May 31, 2007
  9. I spoke with Lenovo, and they said that they can install only the 32 bit
    version. If I want I can purchase the 64k version separately. How sure are
    you that the license key would not work with retail 64 bit DVD? And do you
    know what MIcrosoft thinks in situations like that? Maybe they will let me
    download the 64 version for free....
    I already upgraded to Vista ultimate and I don't want to buy the same thing
    twice by purchasing the 64 version. If that is the only way, I would just
    install Linux Suse.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=, May 31, 2007
  10. Microsoft is very clear about this. OEM versions, including Ultimate, are
    single architecture ONLY. That means no cross-over. RETAIL versions are both
    architectures.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Good luck with Linux. Your best option is to stay with Vista86. There is
    very little if any benefit for most to switch to 64-bit processing.

    John Barnes, Jun 1, 2007
  12. First, I want to be 100% sure that there is no way for me to get Vista
    ultimate 64 without paying any extra for it. If there is no other way, I will
    still use the 32 version, but I will also dual boot it to Suse for the 64 bit
    needs.
    I just need to find out if the OEM license is for 32 version or it could be
    also used for the 64, just like the commercial one.

    =?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=, Jun 1, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    Theo Guest

    The general consensus is that you need a different key for
    the 64-bit OEM version. However, the best way to prove it
    is to find an OEM disc and try your key.

    Theo, Jun 1, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    There is at least one person in the Vista newsgroup that claims to have had
    it work, so take Theo's advice. It is not in accordance with the OEM
    license, if you care.
    Also, a couple of posters have said that Microsoft did cooperate with the
    OEM, so if you have any leverage with your vendor, you should apply it. You
    can also call Microsoft as they sometimes will cooperate, though they have
    no obligation to.

    John Barnes, Jun 1, 2007