    broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo

    do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?

    thanks

    andrew, Feb 18, 2006

  2. andrew

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:24:14 +0000 (UTC), andrew wrote:

    >help!!
    >
    >can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt

    No.

    >broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    >do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?

    Yes , or find a free / low cost mail forwarding service you will then
    always have 1 email address no matter how many ISPs you swap between.

    I don't use 1 so can't suggest any.

    >thanks

    Me

    why?, Feb 18, 2006

  3. andrew

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-02-18, andrew <> wrote:
    > help!!
    >
    > can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt
    > broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    > do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?
    >
    > thanks

    Try looking on the BT Openworld (or BT Yahoo) web site.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Feb 18, 2006
  4. andrew

    Vanguard Guest

    "andrew" <> wrote in message
    > help!!
    >
    > can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt
    > broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    > do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?

    When you no longer subscribe to a service, like your old ISP, you no longer
    subscribe to their service. Yeah, that's circular but it is also obvious.
    If you don't pay them for their service, you don't get to use anything of
    their service, including your old e-mail account on their service.

    Your old e-mail account may remain defined for awhile even after closing
    your old ISP account. E-mail addresses do not always go immediately back
    into the name pool. In fact, although you left your old ISP, it may be
    awhile before another of their customers can use that same username.
    Eventually they will delete that old and inactive account and one of their
    paying customers can use that username.

    If your e-mail address was at Yahoo, you may not be able to use it
    separately (by defining a freebie or paid account directly with Yahoo) until
    your old e-mail account with your old ISP that used Yahoo gets totally
    deleted. However, your old ISP may have used a different Yahoo domain than
    the one you can get from Yahoo directly. You can try to define a new
    account at Yahoo Mail to see if you get your old username but then you may
    not if your old account on the same Yahoo domain is still defined plus you
    are competing with everyone else that created a Yahoo Mail account.

    Most times when you leave an ISP and they were whom you used for e-mail
    service, you may find it difficult to use the same username at a different
    e-mail provider. Obviously you don't get to use the old domain anymore
    because you don't have an account there to authorize you to use their
    resources. When you leave, you lose your e-mail address. Yahoo provides
    e-mail service to many ISPs. That is a special contract. You aren't an
    ISP. You won't be able to get a BT Yahoo e-mail address because you will no
    longer be a BT customer. You can get a Yahoo Mail account (free or paid)
    but that won't be a BT account with them.

    Because of your physical location, you will use the Yahoo UK domain to open
    a new Yahoo Mail account. Some Yahoo domains no longer provide free access
    to POP3 and SMTP mail servers (e.g., Yahoo US does not). It's been awhile
    since I last checked, but Yahoo UK users said that they got free access to
    the mail servers using that Yahoo domain. If the Yahoo domain still permits
    access to POP3 and SMTP servers, you can use a local e-mail client to
    connect to your Yahoo account; otherwise, you either have to use Yahoo's
    webmail interface or use YahooPOPs to connect a local e-mail client using
    POP3 through YahooPOPs to the HTTP interface for Yahoo's webmail.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Feb 18, 2006
  5. andrew wrote:
    > help!!
    >
    > can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt
    > broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    > do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?

    You may be in luck!

    Possibly because bt also does payg dial up internet, IME they haven't
    rushed to delete email accounts for ex-customers. So you may get to keep
    your email address for some time, with any luck for years, but with a
    few restrictions.

    If you haven't yet done so, you may be able to get bt to regrade your
    broadband to a dialup payg account, rather than closing it - not that
    you would often use it with dialup!

    If your new ISP gives you "free" ADSL line activation - then you aren't
    worried about this bit: Still here? If you need to migrate your ADSL
    connection, rather than cancel it and start again, then you will need a
    MAC from bt - as well as the regrade to payg dialup. That could be
    tricky to organise. They will possibly either do one or the other but
    not both.

    OK, assuming that you are still going to be using your bt email account,
    even though you have changed your broadband supplier:

    You will find that you can't send mail from email clients like Outlook
    express, etc. You may still be able to receive email that way - but the
    block outgoing emails from anyone not with a bt internet connection
    address, to stop spammers. You may easily be able to send and receive
    emails using webmail, though.

    I have to agree with what others have said - you want an ISP-independent
    email address that will always be yours, whichever ISP you use. Ideally
    on your own domain. I would say that, failing that, you sign up for an
    email account with the likes of port995.com. That, at least will be
    useable no matter which ISP you use - but, if they go bust or change to
    pricey, you are stuck again..your own domain is best..

    --
    Sue

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Feb 18, 2006
  6. andrew

    Richard Guest

    "andrew" <> wrote in message
    > help!!
    >
    > can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt
    > broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    > do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?
    >
    > thanks

    Contact BT, they may permit you to keep your email address. My ISP offers
    free email to anyone, whether a customer or not.

    Richard, Feb 18, 2006
  7. "andrew" <> wrote in message
    > help!!
    >
    > can anyone answer in laymans terms (i'm not that bright!) how i keep my bt
    > broadband email address if i switch providers to wanadoo
    >
    > do i just subscribe to bt yahoo?
    >
    > thanks

    You can keep the email address as long as you use BT PAYG dial up to access
    it every 90 days

    Nicola Redwood, Feb 18, 2006