    convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual process,
    and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.

    Tom

    blooney, Dec 18, 2007

  2. blooney

    John Guest

    "blooney" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is anyone aware of automated methods in XP to switch off the wireless
    > interface when connected to wired Ethernet? Most options I've seen
    > involve
    > convoluted scripting. Users don't seem to be able to handle manual
    > process,
    > and we don't find any XP Group Policy that will help.
    >
    > Tom

    Not in XP itself but Toshiba laptops come with an application
    that switches to wired if it is available and to wireless if wired
    is not available.

    John, Dec 18, 2007

  3. blooney

    blooney Guest

    Unfortunately, these are not Toshiba laptops, and the driver does not offer
    an option to auto-disable (as has been mentioned exists in some other NIC
    drivers).

    Still looking for that "magic bullet." Thanks for the suggestion.

    Tom

    blooney, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Hi
    If you do not mind that the Wireless would stay On but would not be used
    when the wire is connected and a live.
    Configuring Metrics, or how to choose the default connection between Wired
    and Wireless Connections - http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Otherwise Drag a short cut to the Desktop, or Start, or Quick launch, from
    the Connection Icon (in the Control Panel/network Connection).
    When needed, right click on the Icon and click Disable (right click and
    Enable there after).
    Even the most "klutzy" user should be able to right click once and click
    Disable/Enable.
    You can go fancy too, look for a macro program, and voice control
    application, create a macro that does the right click Disable/Enable and use
    voice command to execute the macro. ;)
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 18, 2007
  5. blooney

    blooney Guest

    We'll give the metrics suggestion a try. Thanks for the tip.

    Tom

    blooney, Dec 18, 2007
  6. METRIC WIRELESS

    Tom,

    Did the suggestion to use metrics work? I work from home and need the wire when working with large file transfers but I like to switch back to wireless 80% of the time. Now I flip switches and reset the router. Seems like there should be an easier way?

    Patrick Murray, Jun 24, 2008
  7. Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    Well, if a person is smart, they always have one of the Nics disabled to
    avoid the two-active-nics-on-the-same-network issue. So just enable the one
    you want to use and disable the other. Then flip them around when you need
    to go the other way.

    The machine I am writing this with has a wired and wireless nics,...only one
    is ever enabled at a time. The wirless is enable/disabled with a keystroke
    (physical switch on some laptops),...the wired one is enabled/disable in the
    Properties of Network Places, or Device Manager, or even the icon down by
    the clock,..it is a simple right-click menu.

    Reset the router? There is no need for that at all,..the router doesn't
    really have anything to do with it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jun 24, 2008
  8. Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    Hi
    Metrics setting for Network Card is Not a Mind reading guessing what you
    would like to do.
    For your purpose if you put the Metrics preference on the wire connection,
    as long as the wire is unplugged from the computer it would use the
    Wireless.
    If you plan to use the wire connection, plug it, in and it would
    automatically switch to the wire card, even if the Wireless stays ON.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 24, 2008
  9. blooney

    James Egan Guest

    Re: METRIC WIRELESS

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:51:22 -0700, Patrick Murray wrote:

    >Seems like there should be an easier way?

    Try googling for "hardware profiles". Perhaps that might be of
    interest to you.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jun 25, 2008
  10. blooney

    simmondp Guest

    Cup and pate this into a file called SetLOM.VBS and run, you can make it
    silent by commenting the appropraite lines - works on XP never tried it on
    Vista

    ================ cut here ===================
    ' SetLOM.VBS
    '
    ' Enumerate all Wireless Adaptors and set LOM = 1
    ' to ensure wired connection disables wireless
    '
    ' Version 2.0 Proof of concept - Paul Simmonds 12 Sept 2006
    '**********************************************************
    ' 2.0 - Correctly detect a Wireless from it's media type

    ' Set computer to work on, . is local
    strComputer = "."
    ' CONST use for StdRegProv class
    const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002

    ' Create a Shell object to run the netsh command in
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

    ' Get a copy of a reg info for Network Connections
    Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\"&
    strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
    strKeyPath1 =
    "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
    strKeyPath2 =
    "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

    ' Enumerate the Keys, getting a reference to all subkeys
    objReg.EnumKey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath1, arrSubKeys

    ' Loop through the array of subkeys
    For Each subkey In arrSubKeys

    objReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath1 & "\" & subKey,
    "Characteristics", intCharacterics
    objReg.GetStringValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath1 & "\" & subKey,
    "NetCfgInstanceID", strNetCfgInstanceID
    objReg.GetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath2 & "\" &
    strNetCfgInstanceID & "\Connection", "MediaSubType", intMediaSubType

    ' *** 132 means its a physical adaptor and 2 means it Wireless ***
    If (intCharacterics = 132 AND intMediaSubType = 2) then

    Return = objReg.SetStringValue (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, strKeyPath1 & "\"
    & subKey, "LOM", "1")
    if Return = 0 then
    Wscript.Echo "LOM sucessfully set to 1 for wirless card " &
    strDriverDesc
    else
    Wscript.Echo "Error: LOM failed to be set to 1 for wireless card " &
    strDriverDesc
    End if

    End If

    Next