Switching away from IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fkissam, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. fkissam

    fkissam Guest

    I am thinking of switching away from IE for many of my daily web browsings.
    I am happy with IE ... just afraid of security issues even behind my DSL
    firewall. Should I be that afraid?

    If I switch to Firebird or something like Sleipnir or AvantBrowser, is there
    a way to retain most of my current plug-ins and benefits of IE?

    My 2 most important things are:
    RoboForm automatic forms filler
    All my IE bookmarks in IE format so that most web browsers can use them
    without import/export

    Other things I have are:
    Java
    Flash
    Google Toolbar
    WindowsMediaPlayer
    WatchIt (notifies if there is a change to a particular web site)
    EarthlinkPopUpBlocker

    fkissam, Jul 17, 2004

  2. fkissam

    Trev Guest

    "fkissam" <> wrote in message
    > I am thinking of switching away from IE for many of my daily web

    browsings.
    > I am happy with IE ... just afraid of security issues even behind my DSL
    > firewall. Should I be that afraid?
    >
    > If I switch to Firebird or something like Sleipnir or AvantBrowser, is

    there
    > a way to retain most of my current plug-ins and benefits of IE?
    >
    > My 2 most important things are:
    > RoboForm automatic forms filler
    > All my IE bookmarks in IE format so that most web browsers can use them
    > without import/export
    >
    > Other things I have are:
    > Java
    > Flash
    > Google Toolbar
    > WindowsMediaPlayer
    > WatchIt (notifies if there is a change to a particular web site)
    > EarthlinkPopUpBlocker

    Seams a lot of peps are doing that. The amount of IE users have dropped
    during the last month by a whooping 1% now down to there last 94%. Me I feel
    safe,well safer then crossing the road .

    Trev, Jul 17, 2004

  3. fkissam

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:43:44 -0400, "fkissam" <> wrote:

    >I am thinking of switching away from IE for many of my daily web browsings.
    >I am happy with IE ... just afraid of security issues even behind my DSL
    >firewall. Should I be that afraid?

    No. Getting AV software. keeping Windows & the AV updated, the firewall,
    and practicing safe file downloading, will keep you secure.

    One thing you could to improve security if, you use OE, is to check your
    email without opening the messages first.
    Click Tools, Options, Read, and Uncheck "Automatically download
    messages in preview pane".

    Click View, Layout, and uncheck "Preview Pane"

    Add "Preview Pane" to your toolbar, (right-click the toolbar,
    "customise"). Now you can toggle it on and off as needed.

    Click Tools, Options, Read, "View messages in plain text
    only", "Apply"
    That will disable the embedded Javascript, and ActiveX and
    save you the grief of activating any malicious script & pop-ups.

    Unk, Jul 17, 2004
  4. fkissam

    t gilb Guest

    t gilb, Jul 17, 2004
  5. fkissam

    t gilb Guest

    "t gilb" <> wrote in message

    | "fkissam" <> wrote in message
    | | I am thinking of switching away from IE for many of my daily web
    | browsings.
    | | I am happy with IE ... just afraid of security issues even behind my DSL
    | | firewall. Should I be that afraid?
    | |
    | | If I switch to Firebird or something like Sleipnir or AvantBrowser, is
    | there
    | | a way to retain most of my current plug-ins and benefits of IE?
    | |
    | | My 2 most important things are:
    | | RoboForm automatic forms filler
    | | All my IE bookmarks in IE format so that most web browsers can use them
    | | without import/export
    | |
    | | Other things I have are:
    | | Java
    | | Flash
    | | Google Toolbar
    | | WindowsMediaPlayer
    | | WatchIt (notifies if there is a change to a particular web site)
    | | EarthlinkPopUpBlocker
    |
    | http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1618379,00.asp

    Sorry to reply to my own post but since you're apparently using Earthlink I
    suggest you use the highest setting of Spamblocker and also Virusblocker in
    Webmail (if you already don't):
    https://webmail.atl.earthlink.net/wam/login.jsp?x=-1299733049 It's a little
    more work but once it's configured it will keep almost all nasty's out of
    your mail program.

    t gilb, Jul 17, 2004
  6. fkissam

    DC Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > "Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:43:44 -0400, "fkissam" <>

    > wrote:

    [...]

    >> Click Tools, Options, Read, "View messages in plain text
    >> only", "Apply"
    >> That will disable the embedded Javascript, and ActiveX and
    >> save you the grief of activating any malicious script & pop-ups.

    > I understand your concerns over activeX, but what is malicious abot
    > javaScript?

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=javascript exploit

    Results 1 - 30 of about 89,100 English and French pages for javascript
    exploit. (0.49 seconds)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jul 17, 2004
  7. fkissam

    Stuart Guest

    Stuart, Jul 17, 2004
  8. fkissam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "t gilb" <> wrote in message
    >| "fkissam" <> wrote in message
    >| | I am thinking of switching away from IE for many of my daily web
    >| browsings.
    >| | I am happy with IE ... just afraid of security issues even behind
    >| | my DSL firewall. Should I be that afraid?
    >| |
    >| | If I switch to Firebird or something like Sleipnir or
    >| | AvantBrowser, is
    >| there
    >| | a way to retain most of my current plug-ins and benefits of IE?
    >| |
    >| | My 2 most important things are:
    >| | RoboForm automatic forms filler
    >| | All my IE bookmarks in IE format so that most web browsers can use
    >| | them without import/export
    >| |
    >| | Other things I have are:
    >| | Java
    >| | Flash
    >| | Google Toolbar
    >| | WindowsMediaPlayer
    >| | WatchIt (notifies if there is a change to a particular web site)
    >| | EarthlinkPopUpBlocker
    >|
    >| http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1618379,00.asp

    Thanks, t gilb - I appreciated that article, even though I'm not the one
    with the concerns. It was well researched, well written, and seems to be
    quite fair.

    I especially liked this part:

    "Many current Windows users won't even know that Service Pack 2 exists. Many
    dial-up users will balk at downloading the huge file-the current build is
    273MB-although when it's released, Microsoft says, it will be a roughly 90MB
    download for users who are up to date with security patches. And even if
    they do adopt SP2, or later Longhorn, many users will continue to run
    insecure legacy applications.

    "Microsoft must go to greater lengths than ever before to ensure existing
    users download SP2. Advertising and public-service announcements would be a
    good start. The company may distribute SP2 on disc; distribution details
    have yet to be finalized. A suggestion: If America Online can afford to mail
    a CD (several, in fact) to everyone in the country, so can Microsoft."

    (Like that'll ever happen...)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 17, 2004
  9. fkissam

    t gilb Guest

    <snip>
    | >| http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1618379,00.asp
    |
    | Thanks, t gilb - I appreciated that article, even though I'm not the one
    | with the concerns. It was well researched, well written, and seems to be
    | quite fair.
    |
    | I especially liked this part:
    |
    | "Many current Windows users won't even know that Service Pack 2 exists.
    Many
    | dial-up users will balk at downloading the huge file-the current build is
    | 273MB-although when it's released, Microsoft says, it will be a roughly
    90MB
    | download for users who are up to date with security patches. And even if
    | they do adopt SP2, or later Longhorn, many users will continue to run
    | insecure legacy applications.
    |
    | "Microsoft must go to greater lengths than ever before to ensure existing
    | users download SP2. Advertising and public-service announcements would be
    | good start. The company may distribute SP2 on disc; distribution details
    | have yet to be finalized. A suggestion: If America Online can afford to
    mail
    | a CD (several, in fact) to everyone in the country, so can Microsoft."
    |
    | (Like that'll ever happen...)
    |
    | --
    | "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    | THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    You're welcome. As fashionable as Microsoft bashing has gotten these days
    it's refreshing to see a little objectivity.

    t gilb, Jul 18, 2004
  10. fkissam

    Me Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > I understand your concerns over activeX, but what is malicious abot
    > javaScript?

    JavaScript can do basically anything to your PC, including deleting
    every single file on your hard drive. All it takes is for someone
    to open a JavaScript that is attached to a message and bang, bye PC.

    Me, Jul 18, 2004
  11. fkissam

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in news::

    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> I understand your concerns over activeX, but what is malicious abot
    >> javaScript?

    > JavaScript can do basically anything to your PC, including deleting
    > every single file on your hard drive. All it takes is for someone
    > to open a JavaScript that is attached to a message and bang, bye PC.

    Not if one protects the O/S properly and runs without Admin rights on a
    NT based O/S, no, one cannot delete every file on the O/S running any
    program.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 18, 2004