    Advantages to use HP are certainly the price. and what else?

    Regards
    Timo
    Timo, Feb 28, 2007

  2. In article <es4q1r$87n$-hagen.de>,
    Timo <> wrote:

    >a lot of companies decide to implement HP switches instead of CISCO
    >equipment. At time my company think also about it.

    >I want to hear some opinions what are advantages/disadvantages concerning
    >HP and CISCO.

    >Advantages to use HP are certainly the price. and what else?

    If memory serves me properly, HP also has longer warantees;
    somewhere along the line I also gathered the impression that HP
    is more likely to make software updates readily available without
    support contracts or registration, at least for their switches.

    My experience with HP switches is fairly limited; I have had a
    couple of occasions in which to examine the offered facilities on
    some models in order to make recommendations. In my limited exposure,
    what I found was that:

    a) HP switches are generally less flexible; for example, for QoS,
    you only had the option of doing this-kind first and then that-kind,
    and there was no possibility of doing just that-kind or of doing
    this-kind within a that-kind stream. They assumed you would always
    want to do QoS one specific way, and if that didn't match your
    needs, you had to go without (or go to a different vendor.)

    b) HP switches seem to be released with significant inherent functionality
    that is not enabled in the first few software releases -- e.g., when
    they started releasing their Layer 3 Switching models, they marketed
    them as supporting Layer 3, but when you read the manuals it turned
    out that you had to wait somewhere close to a year to actually use
    the feature (thinking back, this might have been "using a routing
    protocol" on their switches: static routes were, if I recall, possible
    from the outset.) But policy-based routing.. no go, even on their enhanced
    software (at least when I was looking.)

    In the scenarios I was examining, I couldn't recommend the HP switches.
    They looked decently fast (at least on paper) and priced well, but the
    lack of flexibility and non-present functionality made them suitable
    only for "buy now, replace later" scenarios. That is, there is a school
    of thought that says that you are better off buying only on the basis
    of what you need *now*, because by the time that upgrade project is
    funded and the requirements documents produced and so on, there will
    likely be another model on the market that will do the future requirements
    cheaper and faster. Often, though, when you are buying Cisco, you
    are doing the opposite, buying into "we're headed towards X,
    so get something that will readily accomedate X when it arrives".
    The Cisco equipment is likely to survive redeployments and
    "hand-me-downs", used and reused and abused for purposes not imagined
    when it was bought; I don't get the same impression for HP switches.
    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Timo <> writes:
    >a lot of companies decide to implement HP switches instead of CISCO
    >equipment. At time my company think also about it.

    >I want to hear some opinions what are advantages/disadvantages concerning
    >HP and CISCO.

    >Advantages to use HP are certainly the price. and what else?

    Depends on what you want to do. If you want a basic managed switch,
    they are simular. If use some of the much larger feature set of Cisco,
    you'll be missing quite alot on the HP. If you don't use so many
    advanced cisco features, then probably not a big deal.

    But, if all you are looking to do is basic switch functions, the HP
    (or even the Dell line) works pretty well for the price point.
    Doug McIntyre, Feb 28, 2007
  4. thus Timo spake:

    hi,

    > Hello,
    >
    > a lot of companies decide to implement HP switches instead of CISCO
    > equipment. At time my company think also about it.

    yeah, the same here. Cizcooooee is no option here any longer after they
    left as soon as the ink was dry on the contract.

    > I want to hear some opinions what are advantages/disadvantages concerning
    > HP and CISCO.

    surely cisco has better routers; on switches i think for 97% of the
    workloads HP is at least on par.

    with regards to replace Cizcooooee routers you have a lots of options,
    depending on your environment:

    i) OpenBSD (OpenBGPd, OpenOSPFd, etc.)

    ii) Juniper, Alcatel, Force10, Extreme...

    > Advantages to use HP are certainly the price. and what else?

    less arrogance :)

    > Regards
    > Timo

    same here,

    timo
    Timo Schoeler, Mar 15, 2007
  5. Timo

    James Guest

    I got a call from an HP guy the other day, inquiring if we still use
    their Kit. I told him our network is 99% Cisco these days, and that we
    only have about 4 HP switches left, and that we were changing them to Cisco.

    He asked why, so I said to him, "Cisco are the best in the world, can
    you tell me other wise?"

    He didn't say a word!

    It doesn't really answer your question, but it says a little something.

    Regards

    James, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Timo

    isnipdog1975

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Lexus Vs. Hyundai

    I am a Lexus snob. I am on my 5th in 15 years. They make the best cars in the world for those who care about quality and comfort over horse power. Without question.

    However after test driving a Hyundai and considering the shape of the economy, my next car will be a Hyundai.

    If someone else were paying, or money were no obstacle for me.... the safe choice is Lexus (Cisco). But smart, intelligent money buys a Hyundai. Their cars suit the needs of 99% of what americans needs, just like HP Procurve switches meets the needs of 99% of organizations.

    Something being the "best" in life is no reason to make it the obvious choice. In fact, the "best" within any category is usually a niche choice, that only a few choose because the benefits don't usually justify the extra costs.

    That said, HP switches have a far better GUI that gives even a mid-level engineer access to features that would require a CCIE to program or expensive smartnet support to program on a Cisco.

    For the price of a 3500 series, and Smartnet on a 3500 series for 5 years, we were able to afford dual 5406zl switches. One to use, and one on the shelf as insurance. Much like your wife and yourself can have dual Hyundai Genesis, for the same price as a single Lexus ls450. We were able to get features and speed two steps up that we could not afford in Cisco. 96 ports gigabit at backplane speed, vs stacked ciscos connected with gigabit uplinks. HP was still 50% less.

    So your question was met with silence, because the HP rep recognized you were an unreasoning person, whom had already made up their mind. Better to spend time in more productive endeavors.
    isnipdog1975, Feb 5, 2009
  7. Timo

    geek22

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    RND network with ProCurve

    If you have time and network down time is really not matter then you can use procurve.... my network is running on procurve and I am having big trouble... we have 4 hour replacement contract with hp.... means if I have any problem in hardware I would get new device within 4 hours of time and guess what... we had problem last friday and it took 2 days for us to get new device...( its not a small town I am talking about replacement of hardware in city of Chicago)…. so support sucks.... I have sent all log files to support and they don’t have any idea what’s going on... after I replace the hardware again I had problem with one of the blade...

    I am going to switch to Cisco... it cost you more than procurve but you can save your ****

    There is no comparison like Lexus and Hyundai…. Coz you have really good engine and service if you have problem with Hyundai… last week was nightmare for me all bcoz of procurve switch…

    Think 100 times before you go for hp procurve

    Best of luck…
    geek22, Mar 17, 2009
  8. Timo

    leeroyjenkinsii

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Network DownTime a NON-ISSUE

    You're likely having problems with HP switches because YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!! You'll have the same problems on Cisco or any switch platform.

    I work for a company with around 70,000 users. We have very few problems with HP (none that have not been resolved). Guys they are great L2/L3 switches...PERIOD.

    If you want to keep paying the Cisco tax then go ahead--just don't be surprised when your competitors are able to spend more money on the core business.
    leeroyjenkinsii, Nov 16, 2009
  9. Timo

    isnipdog1975

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Last week was a nightmare for you because you did not plan properly. If your network requries >99% uptime or else hundreds of thousands of people sit idle; and your company loses tens of thousands of $$$ per hour.... get Cisco, and deploy their multitude of admitedly superior redundancy features (and still keep an extra switch or two on the shelf). Worst case you will have the fallback of informing senior management "we purchased the best, so its not my fault." The reality is that improper design, configuration, and monitoring will doom any network to failure no matter the vendor.

    If you are like the overwhelming majority of companies with leeway for minimal downtime while parts are replaced, HP will usually work great. An engineer on staff with forsight that he is ahead of "the $$$ game" >50% would order duplicate spare parts for all models deployed.

    Proper planning. The fact that you are still employed after you let a part of your network fail for 2 days, probably answers the question of uptime criticality to your organization.

    In an anecdotal example, I work for company with 75% Cisco. A Cisco switch went dead a couple months ago. It took >16 hours to get a replacment for a 4500 series supervisor module because it was not stocked locally, and had to be driven from Illinois. We are in the state capital of Indiana. I am still employed because I had a backup plan for the failure of any critical equipment. That plan did not rely on the promise of 4 hour replacment by a company who does not answer to our shareholders.

    The reality is hardware has the potential to fail with any vendor, and the challenge is balancing that risk with the 'percieved' reliablity. Of course one must also acknowledge the inherant imperfections with any hardware designed and created by mankind, and they all have a chance of failing (Usually on a Friday as in your example.)

    Be prepared or find another career.
    isnipdog1975, Jun 28, 2011
  10. Timo

    NetExpert

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    HP Networking Switches are Most dependable

    Dears,
    We have been using HP switches for more than 10 years now ,We have around 140 branches and 2 years back we have migrated all our branches to Modular HP switches with dual power supply.

    We don't have any issues in our network, HP switches are the most rugged & most affordable & most importantly backed up by HP life time warranty.

    We are able to run the network with almost 99 % availability.

    coming to the features it has almost all features that an Enterprise needs to run.

    This has given us a lot of cost savings .

    thanks,
    NetExpert, Feb 4, 2012
  11. Timo

    scott

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Funny... I used to be a Cisco shop... and after dealing with some smart net replacement/repair issues many years ago, I switched to HP - primarily for the support...

    However, I find myself considering a switch back because it appears that CER doesn't support LLDP-MED for E911 info instead of CDP...
    scott, Mar 6, 2013
  12. Timo

    Headset Adapter Co.

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    www.headsetadapter.com
    Yep...

    As an option, you may define phone location manually, but it will get out of hands...

    Good luck,

    Mike / CCNP, CCVP, CCDP, CCSP, CCIE Woice (written)
    Headset Adapter Co.
    Headset Adapter Co., Mar 20, 2013