    What's the difference between a router and a switch

    My new Linksys Wireless Router claims a built in 4 port full duplex 10/100
    switch and I was wondering just what is the difference

    This space deliberately left empty!, May 7, 2004

  2. In simple terms:
    Router routes IP (internet protocol) traffic between networks (our home
    network, even if it is just one PC) and the Internet.
    Switch or a similar thing Hub does not have any knowledge of IP. It passes
    through Ethernet traffic - lower level protocol.

    You need switches/hibs to connect your computers in a network. You need
    routers to connect networks together.

    The Linksys router you mentioned is actually two devices in one: a router
    and a switch.

    Victor Pushkin
    www.katygeeks.com
    Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.

    "This space deliberately left empty!" <gimmie45@'No Spam'hotmail.com> wrote
    in message news:7nMmc.25677$...

    Computer Support at KatyGeeks.com, May 7, 2004