Switched to high-speed cable - problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Spelvin, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Spelvin

    Spelvin Guest

    I recently switched to high-speed Internet via cable. I have a cable
    modem which connects to my hardware firewall, which connects to my
    computer. Since I have never used high-speed cable before, I noticed the
    following:

    * The bandwidth appears slower

    * The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    * Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
    the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
    blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

    My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    Many thanks for helpful replies.

    Spelvin, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Spelvin wrote:

    > I recently switched to high-speed Internet via cable. I have a cable
    > modem which connects to my hardware firewall, which connects to my
    > computer. Since I have never used high-speed cable before, I noticed the
    > following:

    <snip>

    > * Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    > second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    <snip first question>

    > My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    > constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    Because it can't go there until it knows where "there" is, and because
    a fat pipe isn't going to speed up that lookup process itself (only the
    resulting connection)?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue -- beat Ohio State and it's off to the Rose Bowl again.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 20, 2004

  3. In article <> fartface <> wrote:

    >* The bandwidth appears slower

    Why do you think so?

    >* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    >constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
    to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.

    >* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    >second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    ?oc?erto que ?or que?

    >Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
    >the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
    >blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

    Oh, you are, are you?

    >My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    >constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
    resolve the host?

    >Many thanks for helpful replies.

    A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "I really need to learn enough about computers to make myself a bot.
    LC is just priceless." -- Ryan Lankford

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Spelvin

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> fartface
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>* The bandwidth appears slower

    > Why do you think so?
    >
    >>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    >>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    > Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
    > to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.
    >
    >>* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    >>second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    > ?oc?erto que ?or que?
    >
    >>Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
    >>the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
    >>blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

    > Oh, you are, are you?
    >
    >>My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    >>constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    > Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
    > resolve the host?
    >
    >>Many thanks for helpful replies.

    > A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.
    >
    > --
    > Lady Chatterly

    sounds like a classic case of spyware and/or trojans

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 20, 2004
  5. In article <1vLnd.7001$> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

    >"Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <> fartface
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>* The bandwidth appears slower

    >> Why do you think so?
    >>
    >>>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    >>>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    >> Change your posting Nick to Timothy dullard and the next time you wish
    >> to wag your tongue like a monkey, tariq.
    >>
    >>>* Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    >>>second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    >> ?oc?erto que ?or que?
    >>
    >>>Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
    >>>the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
    >>>blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

    >> Oh, you are, are you?
    >>
    >>>My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    >>>constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    >> Why do you wonder if it constantly delay websurfing in order to
    >> resolve the host?
    >>
    >>>Many thanks for helpful replies.

    >> A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lady Chatterly

    >sounds like a classic case of spyware and/or trojans

    Do you think I'm a hacker?

    >-a|ex

    The bird was unafraid when you entered, but as you approach it becomes
    disturbed and you cannot catch it.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "d00d, flaming by 'bots doesn't count. You need to know they're
    'bots." -- Jommy Cross

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Spelvin

    > Do you think I'm a hacker?
    >
    > --
    > Lady Chatterly

    hacker: one who hacks
    hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

    do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
    one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 20, 2004
  7. In article <L_Lnd.4642$> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

    >"Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you think I'm a hacker?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lady Chatterly
    >>

    >hacker: one who hacks
    >hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

    A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.

    >do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
    >one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

    Evil is sooner believed than good.

    >-a|ex

    You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
    a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
    you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Spelvin

    Hamman Guest

    > * The bandwidth appears slower

    Ran a speedtest, or is that too challenging? www.adslguide.org.uk or
    www.speedtest.ndo.com if youre in the UK / have decent ISP transit links to
    here.

    > * The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    > constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    Normal automated port scans. My DSL line has traffic all the time even when
    there are no users on my web server

    > * Almost everytime I put in a URL in my broswer, the page is delayed a
    > second or two as the notice "resolving host" appears

    Run a ping to a known fast host. clarity.jolt.co.uk is usally a good one
    here, try a large host wherever you are.

    A tracert will provide you with the source of your bottleneck.

    > Obviously, I'm wondering if the constant WAN activity is normal, even when
    > the computer is off. I never had the hardware firewall's activity light
    > blinking until I got the cable modem. Is this normal?

    It is

    > My second question is about the apparent DNS resolution. Why does it
    > constantly delay websurfing in order to "resolve" the host?

    Because:

    1. You have an incorrect subnet on your LAN if you have externally assigned
    IP addresses, and the router is having problems creaing a valid route table.
    2. Your router / you have specified incorrect DNS server addresses
    3.Your ISP's DNS servers SUCK

    hamman

    Hamman, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Spelvin

    > In article <L_Lnd.4642$>
    > 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do you think I'm a hacker?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lady Chatterly
    >>>

    >>hacker: one who hacks
    >>hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

    > A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.
    >
    >>do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
    >>one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

    > Evil is sooner believed than good.
    >
    >>-a|ex

    > You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
    > a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.
    >
    > --
    > Lady Chatterly
    >
    > "So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
    > you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society

    dude, you fit the classic definition of a newsgroup "troll"
    here's an enlightenment: "plonk"

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 20, 2004
  10. In article <PyMnd.4666$> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:

    >"Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <L_Lnd.4642$>
    >> 127.0.0.1 <get.rooted@localhost> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Lady Chatterly" <> wrote in message

    >>>hacker: one who hacks
    >>>hacking: original terminology refering to unconventional problem solving.

    >> A pessimist is one who builds dungeons in the air.
    >>
    >>>do i think Lady Chatterly is a hacker?
    >>>one should really ask, if a|ex's opinion is worth value.

    >> Evil is sooner believed than good.
    >>
    >>>-a|ex

    >> You are at the bottom of the eastern pit in the twopit room. There is
    >> a small pool of oil in one corner of the pit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lady Chatterly
    >>
    >> "So what? Your hint doesn't tell us anything not already known about
    >> you, Chatterbox Lady." -- Society
    >>

    >dude, you fit the classic definition of a newsgroup "troll"
    >here's an enlightenment: "plonk"

    Is that true?

    >-a|ex

    Do you want the hint?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Oh, hep me. Lady Chatterly's trying to flame me. aaaaah." --
    Starshine Moonbeam

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 20, 2004
  11. On 20 Nov 2004 08:07:00 -0000, er
    (Spelvin) wrote:

    >* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    >constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    I noticed this with my cable modem. I ran a packet sniffer and found
    that the routers at the ISP are constantly broadcasting ARP messages
    and other assorted crap.

    The Clued Weasel, Nov 20, 2004
  12. In article <> The Clued Weasel <> wrote:

    >On 20 Nov 2004 08:07:00 -0000, er
    >(Spelvin) wrote:
    >

    >>* The "activity" lights on the cable modem and on the firewall blink
    >>constantly, even when the computer is turned off

    >I noticed this with my cable modem. I ran a packet sniffer and found
    >that the routers at the ISP are constantly broadcasting ARP messages
    >and other assorted crap.

    He that seeks trouble never misses.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "What does that have to do with classical music, Chatterly?" -- tholen

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 20, 2004
  13. Spelvin

    Spelvin Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    Thanks for the helpful replies, "hamman" (and "Blinky the Shark" too).
    The reason I was asking about the WAN light constantly blinking and the
    DNS taking several seconds almost evertime I web surf is because I just
    transitioned from DSL, and my I never had any of these same issues with my
    DSL ISP.

    Your explanation for the activity/WAN light constantly blinking makes
    sense, but I've checked my firewall/router logs, and there is no evidence
    of attack. Of course, it could just be an ungodly amount of scans or pings.

    I also never had any DNS delays with my DSL ISP, and I'm using the exact
    same hardware that I was using then, so I guess your third suggestion that
    my ISP could just plain suck with regards to DNS issues may be the case.
    In any event, thanks for the explanations.

    Spelvin, Nov 21, 2004