Switched from Orcon to Slingshot

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by kriskirk@hotmail.com, Apr 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Today my Slingshot account was activated and I've been using it all
    morning. I know it's way too early to make any judgements about
    performance etc, but so far BitTorrent downloads seem to be a lot
    better (individual torrents still vary from 0kb/sec to 32kb/sec but in
    total I'm getting around 150kb/sec which, for the same set of torrents,
    I wasn't getting with Orcon). General web browsing seems to be a tad
    slower, but that could be because of the increased BitTorrent traffic
    (I'm limiting uploads to 5kb/sec though). Anyway, we'll see how it goes
    over the next few weeks.

    One question for existing Slingshot users though, how do you check your
    data usage and purchase more data? The "Manage Data Usage" link on
    their web site doesn't seem to go anywhere.....
     
    , Apr 22, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    <snip>

    wrote:

    >so far BitTorrent downloads seem to be a lot
    > better (individual torrents still vary from 0kb/sec to 32kb/sec but in
    > total I'm getting around 150kb/sec


    </snip>

    Howdy kriskirk

    Please excuse my ignorance but I'm just wondering what you meant by
    the...

    "in total I'm getting around 150kb/s"

    ....you wrote in your post.

    Are your torrents via slingshot averaging 150 kb/s.

    If so could I ask what client you are using and what trackers/ torrent
    sites you use.

    If I'm being nosy just tell me to **** off :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    PS Can't help you with your slingshot usage question as I'm not with
    slingshot...sorry :)
     
    , Apr 22, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    wrote:
    > Please excuse my ignorance but I'm just wondering what you meant by
    > the...
    >
    > "in total I'm getting around 150kb/s"
    >
    > ...you wrote in your post.
    >
    > Are your torrents via slingshot averaging 150 kb/s.


    I meant in total (I have about 20 torrents going at the moment) I'm
    getting 150 kb/s. Each individual torrent is still very slow (the best
    would be around 30 kb/s) but I attribute that to the actual torrents
    rather than the connection. It's just that the last few days when I was
    with Orcon, those same torrents in total only got up to around 50 kb/s
    or so. I can't say for sure whether the switch in ISP is the reason for
    the speed increase, or just that the torrents are now better seeded
    etc, but it seems like P2P works better with Slingshot. Time will
    tell....
     
    , Apr 22, 2006
    #3
  4. joe_90 Guest

    wrote:

    > One question for existing Slingshot users though, how do you check your
    > data usage and purchase more data? The "Manage Data Usage" link on
    > their web site doesn't seem to go anywhere.....


    That is the correct method, it just takes a little time to retrieve and
    display the data. The process is a bit flaky though, as occasionally it
    times out repeatedly - when that happens I just leave it a while and try
    again later.
     
    joe_90, Apr 22, 2006
    #4
  5. Craig Shore Guest

    On 22 Apr 2006 01:17:31 -0700, wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Please excuse my ignorance but I'm just wondering what you meant by
    >> the...
    >>
    >> "in total I'm getting around 150kb/s"
    >>
    >> ...you wrote in your post.
    >>
    >> Are your torrents via slingshot averaging 150 kb/s.

    >
    >I meant in total (I have about 20 torrents going at the moment) I'm
    >getting 150 kb/s. Each individual torrent is still very slow (the best
    >would be around 30 kb/s) but I attribute that to the actual torrents
    >rather than the connection. It's just that the last few days when I was
    >with Orcon, those same torrents in total only got up to around 50 kb/s
    >or so. I can't say for sure whether the switch in ISP is the reason for
    >the speed increase, or just that the torrents are now better seeded
    >etc, but it seems like P2P works better with Slingshot. Time will
    >tell....


    I can get about 219 kb/s max (usually over 200 sustained) using bittorrent off
    my ihug connection. I assume that is the top limit for the 2.5mbit connection I
    have?
    That's using a good highly seeded tracker.
     
    Craig Shore, Apr 22, 2006
    #5
  6. Guest

    joe_90 wrote:
    > That is the correct method, it just takes a little time to retrieve and
    > display the data. The process is a bit flaky though, as occasionally it
    > times out repeatedly - when that happens I just leave it a while and try
    > again later.


    Yeah it's working now. For some reason the link was pointing to the
    wrong place for a while....

    Hey seeing as you're on Slingshot, what's your speed like at the
    moment? My http speeds seem to be really slow. Can you go to
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest and let me know what
    your download speed is showing up as?

    Thanks,
    Kris
     
    , Apr 22, 2006
    #6
  7. Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > I can get about 219 kb/s max (usually over 200 sustained) using bittorrent off
    > my ihug connection. I assume that is the top limit for the 2.5mbit connection I
    > have?
    > That's using a good highly seeded tracker.


    Cool, can you give me an example of one of your torrents so I can try
    it? I'm still only getting about 150KB/s in total, but I'm still
    assuming it's due to the torrents I'm downloading.
     
    , Apr 22, 2006
    #7
  8. ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> I can get about 219 kb/s max (usually over 200 sustained) using
    >> bittorrent off my ihug connection. I assume that is the top limit
    >> for the 2.5mbit connection I have?
    >> That's using a good highly seeded tracker.

    >
    > Cool, can you give me an example of one of your torrents so I can try
    > it? I'm still only getting about 150KB/s in total, but I'm still
    > assuming it's due to the torrents I'm downloading.


    My last good torrent came in at 250 mB/s and above on Actrix 2Mbit. It
    actually peaked at 300 a few times, above the stated speed.

    However, it's a private tracker, invites only, and I've not been with them
    long enough to get my ratio up and warrant any invites to pass on. :-(

    Even when/if I do get some invites I'll be wary as, taking into account our
    massively unbalanced *A*DSL here, I get held responsible for whoever joins
    on my invite.
    --
    ~Shaun~
     
    ~misfit~, Apr 23, 2006
    #8
  9. Chris Mayhew Guest

    wrote:
    > joe_90 wrote:
    >> That is the correct method, it just takes a little time to retrieve and
    >> display the data. The process is a bit flaky though, as occasionally it
    >> times out repeatedly - when that happens I just leave it a while and try
    >> again later.

    >
    > Yeah it's working now. For some reason the link was pointing to the
    > wrong place for a while....
    >
    > Hey seeing as you're on Slingshot, what's your speed like at the
    > moment? My http speeds seem to be really slow. Can you go to
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest and let me know what
    > your download speed is showing up as?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kris
    >

    I've just tried this from Waihi and got 1912 kbps up and 133 kbps up on
    Slingshot 2mbps plan
     
    Chris Mayhew, Apr 23, 2006
    #9

  10. >> Hey seeing as you're on Slingshot, what's your speed like at the
    >> moment? My http speeds seem to be really slow. Can you go to
    >> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest and let me know what
    >> your download speed is showing up as?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Kris
    >>

    > I've just tried this from Waihi and got 1912 kbps up and 133 kbps up on
    > Slingshot 2mbps plan


    The ISP is not normally the the reason that people get "slower than they are
    buying" on this speedtest. The Speed is normally in relation to how many
    people are connected to your exchange and how much bandwidth the exchange
    has from it and the time of day you are doing the test

    1912/133 is a pretty near perfect speed. (The speedtests are not 100%
    accurate, but quite close). Some people who are paying the same as you
    cannot get anywhere near that speed.

    (Please check that your comments are true (not rumours or made up) before
    talking about the 150:1 ratios)

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz
     
    Craig Whitmore, Apr 23, 2006
    #10
  11. Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > (Please check that your comments are true (not rumours or made up) before
    > talking about the 150:1 ratios)


    Huh? What are you referring to here?

    Kris
     
    , Apr 23, 2006
    #11
  12. Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > The ISP is not normally the the reason that people get "slower than they are
    > buying" on this speedtest. The Speed is normally in relation to how many
    > people are connected to your exchange and how much bandwidth the exchange
    > has from it and the time of day you are doing the test


    When I run the speed test without any other apps running, I get
    reasonable speeds of 2500+ kb/s down and 100+ kb/s up. However, if I
    have BitTorrent running those figures drop to about 700 kb/s down and
    53 kb/s up. The torrents are running pretty slow at the moment, around
    240 kb/s down and 32 kb/s up, so I wouldn't have thought they would
    take up too much bandwidth. I do have around 20 torrents going - could
    there be a large overhead in simply having that many going even though
    they're not transferring much data?

    Kris
     
    , Apr 23, 2006
    #12
  13. Guest

    Sorry, am I using the wrong abbreviations? I meant kbps in all the
    speeds I mentioned in my previous post.

    Kris
     
    , Apr 23, 2006
    #13
  14. Chris Mayhew Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>> Hey seeing as you're on Slingshot, what's your speed like at the
    >>> moment? My http speeds seem to be really slow. Can you go to
    >>> http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest and let me know what
    >>> your download speed is showing up as?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Kris
    >>>

    >> I've just tried this from Waihi and got 1912 kbps up and 133 kbps up on
    >> Slingshot 2mbps plan

    >
    > The ISP is not normally the the reason that people get "slower than they are
    > buying" on this speedtest. The Speed is normally in relation to how many
    > people are connected to your exchange and how much bandwidth the exchange
    > has from it and the time of day you are doing the test
    >
    > 1912/133 is a pretty near perfect speed. (The speedtests are not 100%
    > accurate, but quite close). Some people who are paying the same as you
    > cannot get anywhere near that speed.
    >
    > (Please check that your comments are true (not rumours or made up) before
    > talking about the 150:1 ratios)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig Whitmore
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz
    >
    >

    What 150:1 ratios are you referring to? I haven't referred to any such
    ratios

    I just went to the link provided by the OP as requested and posted the
    results, as requested. BTW I meant 1912 down not up, but I guessed you
    figured that out.

    As a matter of interest my ADSL connection from Waihi via Slingshot is
    much better than the 256kbps connection from Te Puke via Orcon in terms
    of drop outs, lag, torrents (I can get more than 256kbps), POP and SMTP
    access (time to make a connection i.e. not timing out etc) general web
    browsing
     
    Chris Mayhew, Apr 23, 2006
    #14
  15. David Guest

    wrote:
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> The ISP is not normally the the reason that people get "slower than they are
    >> buying" on this speedtest. The Speed is normally in relation to how many
    >> people are connected to your exchange and how much bandwidth the exchange
    >> has from it and the time of day you are doing the test

    >
    > When I run the speed test without any other apps running, I get
    > reasonable speeds of 2500+ kb/s down and 100+ kb/s up. However, if I
    > have BitTorrent running those figures drop to about 700 kb/s down and
    > 53 kb/s up. The torrents are running pretty slow at the moment, around
    > 240 kb/s down and 32 kb/s up, so I wouldn't have thought they would
    > take up too much bandwidth. I do have around 20 torrents going - could
    > there be a large overhead in simply having that many going even though
    > they're not transferring much data?
    >
    > Kris
    >


    20 torrents - that's ridiculous. The overheads involved are quite high
    especially at low speeds. I would advise only running a few torrents at
    once (maybe 5 if they're quite slow), and severly limiting the upload
    speeds and the total number of connections in your BT client. When
    downloading full speed on a 3.5mbit your upload will be almost entirely
    saturated by the TCP overheads on that one connection. Any other
    traffic, especially upload traffic, even only a few kB/s will
    significantly impact on your download speed.
     
    David, Apr 24, 2006
    #15
  16. Guest

    David wrote:
    > 20 torrents - that's ridiculous. The overheads involved are quite high
    > especially at low speeds. I would advise only running a few torrents at
    > once (maybe 5 if they're quite slow), and severly limiting the upload
    > speeds and the total number of connections in your BT client. When
    > downloading full speed on a 3.5mbit your upload will be almost entirely
    > saturated by the TCP overheads on that one connection. Any other
    > traffic, especially upload traffic, even only a few kB/s will
    > significantly impact on your download speed.


    I hear what you're saying, but when I was with Orcon I had as many
    torrents going at once, and it didn't seem to saturate the connection.
    Maybe Orcon's traffic shaping was actually helping in that regard?!?

    Kris
     
    , Apr 24, 2006
    #16
  17. Guest

    Okay, I have set the number of downloads down to 5, and total BT
    bandwidth is now 16 KB/s down and 2 KB/s up. If I now try and download
    a file via http, I can only get speeds of around 20-30 KB/s, and this
    is using a site that gives me speeds of around 200 KB/s when BT is not
    running. I guess the connection is being saturated by the BT traffic,
    but I didn't think it would be this bad.
     
    , Apr 24, 2006
    #17
  18. David Guest

    wrote:
    > Okay, I have set the number of downloads down to 5, and total BT
    > bandwidth is now 16 KB/s down and 2 KB/s up. If I now try and download
    > a file via http, I can only get speeds of around 20-30 KB/s, and this
    > is using a site that gives me speeds of around 200 KB/s when BT is not
    > running. I guess the connection is being saturated by the BT traffic,
    > but I didn't think it would be this bad.
    >


    Hmmm, something is definately wrong there, I just tried
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest with BT running, 5
    slow torrents, ~18kB/s down, 5kB/s up (rate limited therefore constant),
    and got:
    Download Speed: 1632 kbps (204 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 52 kbps (6.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    This is on Xtra 3.5mbit but it really shouldn't make much difference
    what your download speed is when you have 128k up.
     
    David, Apr 24, 2006
    #18
  19. Guest

    David wrote:

    > Hmmm, something is definately wrong there, I just tried
    > http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest with BT running, 5
    > slow torrents, ~18kB/s down, 5kB/s up (rate limited therefore constant),
    > and got:
    > Download Speed: 1632 kbps (204 KB/sec transfer rate)
    > Upload Speed: 52 kbps (6.5 KB/sec transfer rate)


    It's weird. I have 5 torrents running, ~10 KB/s down, 3 KB/s up.
    Running the speed test the first time, I got similar results to you
    (slightly better in fact). But then I ran it a few more times, nearly
    straight away (torrent rates haven't changed much), and I got:

    Download Speed: 156 kbps (19.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 47 kbps (5.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Download Speed: 1244 kbps (155.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 83 kbps (10.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Download Speed: 361 kbps (45.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 64 kbps (8 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Download Speed: 461 kbps (57.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 96 kbps (12 KB/sec transfer rate)

    Once I close my BT client, I get back to normal again:

    Download Speed: 2888 kbps (361 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 73 kbps (9.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

    How could a few low speed torrents make such a difference? As I
    mentioned before, I never had this problem with Orcon, but I wouldn't
    expect a different ISP to cause this.... any ideas?

    Kris
     
    , Apr 24, 2006
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chris
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    713
    shope
    Apr 15, 2004
  2. -=rjh=-

    Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 16, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    841
  3. Wallace

    Orcon Bitstream or Slingshot JetBuster?

    Wallace, Jun 10, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    640
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Jun 12, 2005
  4. iascoot

    what do you think of Slingshot and Orcon

    iascoot, Oct 26, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    326
    iascoot
    Oct 26, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Circuit-Switched vs Packet-Switched

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 16, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    685
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jan 19, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page