    Users)

    Any recommendations ??

    Should I get ones with power ???
    Tim Pugh - UK, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Tim Pugh - UK

    Pete Harris Guest

    By 'switches,' I guess you mean Ethernet switches. If so, this is a
    personal choice. You said you were trying to keep costs down. I tend
    to buy the cheapest available stuff, but Cisco works just as well !!!

    I think all switches now have QOS (priority for voice), so that's not
    an issue. There is no reason to keep voice and data separate.
    Regarding power, it's MUCH better to spend the money to provide
    non-stop power to all your computer and networking equipment then to
    spend a lot more for switches which provide power to your IP phones.

    Your biggest choice will be IP phones. Personally, I like software
    phones, (though this is what I do, so take that into account:
    www.bg.com/qphone.html ) I like software phones because they're easier
    to install, use, and maintain--and they cost less. In those places
    where you need to put a phone and there's no PC, I would go for one of
    the cheaper (not Cisco) IP phones.

    Your already-purchased Mitel box may limit your choices at this point.
    But if it has a standard H.323 or SIP gatekeeper, and whatever else is
    in there for Call Management doesn't get in the way, then you're
    probably OK. It's a plus that there's also a small circuit-switched
    PBX inside, since fax machines and modems don't always work very well
    on VOIP networks.

    I hope this helps ---

    - Pete

    Pete Harris, Sep 6, 2003

  3. (Pete Harris) wrote in message news:<>...
    > By 'switches,' I guess you mean Ethernet switches. If so, this is a
    > personal choice. You said you were trying to keep costs down. I tend
    > to buy the cheapest available stuff, but Cisco works just as well !!!
    >
    > I think all switches now have QOS (priority for voice), so that's not
    > an issue. There is no reason to keep voice and data separate.
    > Regarding power, it's MUCH better to spend the money to provide
    > non-stop power to all your computer and networking equipment then to
    > spend a lot more for switches which provide power to your IP phones.
    >
    > Your biggest choice will be IP phones. Personally, I like software
    > phones, (though this is what I do, so take that into account:
    > www.bg.com/qphone.html ) I like software phones because they're easier
    > to install, use, and maintain--and they cost less. In those places
    > where you need to put a phone and there's no PC, I would go for one of
    > the cheaper (not Cisco) IP phones.
    >
    > Your already-purchased Mitel box may limit your choices at this point.
    > But if it has a standard H.323 or SIP gatekeeper, and whatever else is
    > in there for Call Management doesn't get in the way, then you're
    > probably OK. It's a plus that there's also a small circuit-switched
    > PBX inside, since fax machines and modems don't always work very well
    > on VOIP networks.
    >
    > I hope this helps ---
    >
    > - Pete

    Many thanks

    The software looks interesting

    I have been looking at the cisco 2950 24 port switch.

    I have seen some 3com ones with pwr built in but from the spec cant
    tell if it has QOS.
    Tim Pugh - UK, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Tim Pugh - UK

    Guest

    On 7 Sep 2003 03:31:03 -0700, (Tim Pugh - UK)
    wrote:

    > (Pete Harris) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> By 'switches,' I guess you mean Ethernet switches. If so, this is a
    >> personal choice. You said you were trying to keep costs down. I tend
    >> to buy the cheapest available stuff, but Cisco works just as well !!!
    >>
    >> I think all switches now have QOS (priority for voice), so that's not
    >> an issue. There is no reason to keep voice and data separate.
    >> Regarding power, it's MUCH better to spend the money to provide
    >> non-stop power to all your computer and networking equipment then to
    >> spend a lot more for switches which provide power to your IP phones.
    >>
    >> Your biggest choice will be IP phones. Personally, I like software
    >> phones, (though this is what I do, so take that into account:
    >> www.bg.com/qphone.html ) I like software phones because they're easier
    >> to install, use, and maintain--and they cost less. In those places
    >> where you need to put a phone and there's no PC, I would go for one of
    >> the cheaper (not Cisco) IP phones.
    >>
    >> Your already-purchased Mitel box may limit your choices at this point.
    >> But if it has a standard H.323 or SIP gatekeeper, and whatever else is
    >> in there for Call Management doesn't get in the way, then you're
    >> probably OK. It's a plus that there's also a small circuit-switched
    >> PBX inside, since fax machines and modems don't always work very well
    >> on VOIP networks.
    >>
    >> I hope this helps ---
    >>
    >> - Pete

    >Many thanks
    >
    >The software looks interesting
    >
    >I have been looking at the cisco 2950 24 port switch.
    >

    >I have seen some 3com ones with pwr built in but from the spec cant
    >tell if it has QOS.

    Be careful here, powered means different things to different vendors.
    The Cisco method of detecting and sending power is non-standard. If
    you're buying switches, go powered if possible so you can guarantee
    that the phone stay up if the power goes out. The Cisco wall
    transformers are about $10 each, so you don't save much if you have a
    lot of phones.

    Also consider shopping for used 3524xl powered switches. I have 14 of
    the powered 3524XL switches as part of my mixed data/voice network and
    they work well.

    The Cisco switches do support priority queueing (technically no QOS).

    -Chris
    , Sep 7, 2003
  5. Tim Pugh - UK

    DPGumby Guest

    This post mentions Mitel. I didn't see the original. But if its a 3300, a
    softphone is available called Your Assistant ( YA for short ). It comes in
    two flavours, YA which needs a set and YA pro which doesn't need a set.

    As for powering sets you can use local power via an adapter, use Mitels 24
    port in-line power unit or Mitel sets do have an adapter which allows them
    to run off Cisco switches that provide PoE.
    DPGumby, Sep 8, 2003