"Switch User" does not work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Bennett, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Paul Bennett

    Paul Bennett Guest

    i use Windows XP Home Edition and have a problem with the Switch User
    facility. when i click on the log off button and then the Switch User it
    hangs indefinitely and will not allow any other commands. is this a common
    problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

    paul
    Paul Bennett, Jan 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paul Bennett

    old jon Guest

    "Paul Bennett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i use Windows XP Home Edition and have a problem with the Switch User
    >facility. when i click on the log off button and then the Switch User it
    >hangs indefinitely and will not allow any other commands. is this a common
    >problem and does anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > paul
    >
    >

    Have a read of this Paul. See if it helps
    help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t32314.html
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Jan 14, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paul Bennett

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Paul Bennett
    <> wrote:

    > i use Windows XP Home Edition and have a problem with the Switch User
    > facility. when i click on the log off button and then the Switch User it
    > hangs indefinitely and will not allow any other commands. is this a common
    > problem and does anyone know how to fix it?


    Once you log off, isn't switching to another user an impossibility?

    I think you need to sign in as a user before you can switch to another
    user. Try using the 'switch user' function BEFORE you log off the first
    user.


    I don't know why it hangs.
    Mitch, Jan 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Paul Bennett

    Keme Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <>, Paul Bennett
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>i use Windows XP Home Edition and have a problem with the Switch User
    >>facility. when i click on the log off button and then the Switch User it
    >>hangs indefinitely and will not allow any other commands. is this a common
    >>problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

    >
    >
    > Once you log off, isn't switching to another user an impossibility?
    >
    > I think you need to sign in as a user before you can switch to another
    > user. Try using the 'switch user' function BEFORE you log off the first
    > user.
    >
    >
    > I don't know why it hangs.


    Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".

    Paul:
    When you use the "switch user" facility, your login is held in RAM, and
    if you have a lot going on (active programs or profile modifications),
    the OS may save your profile, all active programs and data to disk (much
    like when a laptop "hibernates"). You need disk space for this (anything
    from practically nothing to the size of your RAM, possibly even more). A
    couple of plausible causes:

    -Not enough free disk space on your system partition (C:).

    -Spyware (like a few other things) degrades the performance of your
    computer, and may cause user switch to take a LONG time (looks just like
    a hangup). Do you have spyware protection, and how long is
    "indefinitely"? (e.g. ">5 minutes" or ">3 hours"?)

    -You have used the switch user facility, and then turned off the
    computer without properly logging off each user. Then, some
    programs/processes may be marked as "locked" (supposed to be "unlocked"
    by a "graceful exit", such as a logout would incur).

    - Using WinXP with barely enough RAM (128MB or less).
    Keme, Jan 15, 2006
    #4
  5. Paul Bennett

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43cad95a$,
    Keme spewed forth:
    > Mitch wrote:
    >> In article <>, Paul Bennett
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> i use Windows XP Home Edition and have a problem with the Switch
    >>> User facility. when i click on the log off button and then the
    >>> Switch User it hangs indefinitely and will not allow any other
    >>> commands. is this a common problem and does anyone know how to fix
    >>> it?

    >>
    >>
    >> Once you log off, isn't switching to another user an impossibility?
    >>
    >> I think you need to sign in as a user before you can switch to
    >> another user. Try using the 'switch user' function BEFORE you log
    >> off the first user.
    >>
    >>
    >> I don't know why it hangs.

    >
    > Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    > If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    > Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".
    >


    Unless fast user switching is disabled...

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Paul Bennett

    Mitch Guest

    In article <43cad95a$>, Keme
    <> wrote:

    > Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    > If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    > Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".


    No, which is why I worded it that way. The XP machines I dealt with all
    had just one user.
    I was responding to the language -- if the user logs out, then no users
    are using it. You can't switch from <no user> to <different user>.

    I see by your response that XP hasn't yet logged the user out when that
    option is given, so it makes more sense.
    (But then, if the user has chosen to log out, why is the OS still
    asking this question? Does it continue to log out if there is no
    response?)
    Mitch, Jan 16, 2006
    #6
  7. Paul Bennett

    Keme Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <43cad95a$>, Keme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    >>If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    >>Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".

    >
    >
    > No, which is why I worded it that way. The XP machines I dealt with all
    > had just one user.

    [...]

    OK!

    When looking back I see I was rather terse in my comment. Didn't intend
    it to come out that way. I apologize!
    Keme, Jan 16, 2006
    #7
  8. Paul Bennett

    Keme Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:43cad95a$,
    > Keme spewed forth:
    >
    >>Mitch wrote:
    >>

    [...]
    >>>I think you need to sign in as a user before you can switch to
    >>>another user. Try using the 'switch user' function BEFORE you log
    >>>off the first user.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I don't know why it hangs.

    >>
    >>Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    >>If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    >>Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".
    >>

    >
    >
    > Unless fast user switching is disabled...
    >


    Which, obviously, is a setting neither I nor the OP have...
    Keme, Jan 16, 2006
    #8
  9. Paul Bennett

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Keme
    <> wrote:

    > Mitch wrote:
    > > In article <43cad95a$>, Keme
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Ever used WinXP with more than registered user, Mitch?
    > >>If so, what happens when you click Start->Log off?
    > >>Me, I get two choices: "Switch user" or "log off".

    > >
    > >
    > > No, which is why I worded it that way. The XP machines I dealt with all
    > > had just one user.

    > [...]
    >
    > OK!
    >
    > When looking back I see I was rather terse in my comment. Didn't intend
    > it to come out that way. I apologize!


    No worries. Sometimes posts about OS design gits our hackles up, yessir.
    </west virginny accent>
    Mitch, Jan 17, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scott Townsend
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    436
    Scott Townsend
    Mar 23, 2006
  2. lbbss
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    813
    lbbss
    Jan 6, 2005
  3. Paul Bennett

    "Switch User" does not work

    Paul Bennett, Jan 8, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    642
    geothermal
    Jan 12, 2006
  4. sean

    PC does not start and does not turn off

    sean, Dec 27, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    487
  5. William Don**ly
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,166
    J. Clarke
    Dec 28, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page