switch to switch link

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tony, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    I got a 4506 with a supervisor II+module with to GBIC ports. one GBIC port
    goes to a core type switch which is currently enabled with the cisco-switch
    macro

    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport nonegotiate
    udld port aggressive
    auto qos voip trust
    macro description cisco-switch
    spanning-tree bpduguard disable
    spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

    Both ends are set to trunk mode.

    On the same 4506, the second gbic port goes to another 4506. Since this
    other 4506 does not connect directly to the core switch, what mode should i
    be setting this port with? Should it be an access port?
    tony, Jan 24, 2007

  2. tony

    BernieM Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    >I got a 4506 with a supervisor II+module with to GBIC ports. one GBIC port
    >goes to a core type switch which is currently enabled with the cisco-switch
    >macro
    >
    > switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    > switchport mode trunk
    > switchport nonegotiate
    > udld port aggressive
    > auto qos voip trust
    > macro description cisco-switch
    > spanning-tree bpduguard disable
    > spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
    >

    > Both ends are set to trunk mode.
    >

    > On the same 4506, the second gbic port goes to another 4506. Since this
    > other 4506 does not connect directly to the core switch, what mode should
    > i be setting this port with? Should it be an access port?

    Best practice ... no, it shouldn't be configured as an access port but it
    depends on what you need the link to do for you. Are there vlans on the
    core switch or the 4506 you need trunked to the other switch? Maybe not
    right now but later?

    Access ports typically have portfast enables because single hosts are
    normally attached. Attach another switch to an access port and you start
    moving away from a consistent state.

    BernieM
    BernieM, Jan 25, 2007

  3. tony

    tony Guest

    Currently core switch has only 1 vlan. The default vlan1. I am setting up
    uplinks as trunks so I can setup vlans later. But like I said, this
    particular 4506 does not go directly into the core switch. It kinda chains
    up with another 4506 through one gbic port on the distribution 4506. Then on
    the second gbic port of the 4506, it goes to the core.

    I am confused on what paramters i need to set on this particular port.

    tony, Jan 25, 2007
  4. tony

    BernieM Guest

    I'd be setting it up as a trunk so if you do add vlans later you can change
    the "switchport trunk allowed vlan" config without causing any connectivity
    loss.

    BernieM, Jan 25, 2007