Switch/Switch problem fibre gigbit ethernet

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by hartmut.albers@gmail.com, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I would like to connect an old batm switch to a new cisco catalyst
    switch with fibre gigabit ethernet but a conenction can not be
    esablished. I checked the fibre ports on both sides with a pc. They are
    on both sides (batm + cisco) ok. I figured out that therefore the
    following configuration setting on the pc ethernet nic is required:
    FIRST CONFIG:
    A pc #1 and a pc #2 are connected directly to the gigabit ethernet
    ports of the cisco catalyst switch. A ping between these divices is
    possible.
    SECOND CONFIG:
    If i now connect pc #1 directly on the gigabit ethernet port of the old
    batm switch i have to do 2 thinks before the pc is running. First i
    have to switch the fibre cables TX to RX and the RX to TX and than i
    must change the gigabit ethernet nic option "Autonegotiation Port A"
    from the value "On" into "Off". Now the pc is running with a gigabit
    ethernet connection over the old batm switch.
    QUESTION:
    Is there such a configuration option "Autonegotiation Port A - On/Off"
    on the catalyst too? I alreday checked out the "udld"-commands, but
    without any positiv result.
    *Thanks*
    , Sep 6, 2005

  2. On 06.09.2005 18:33 wrote

    > I would like to connect an old batm switch to a new cisco catalyst
    > switch with fibre gigabit ethernet but a conenction can not be
    > esablished. I checked the fibre ports on both sides with a pc. They are
    > on both sides (batm + cisco) ok. I figured out that therefore the
    > following configuration setting on the pc ethernet nic is required:
    > FIRST CONFIG:
    > A pc #1 and a pc #2 are connected directly to the gigabit ethernet
    > ports of the cisco catalyst switch. A ping between these divices is
    > possible.
    > SECOND CONFIG:
    > If i now connect pc #1 directly on the gigabit ethernet port of the old
    > batm switch i have to do 2 thinks before the pc is running. First i
    > have to switch the fibre cables TX to RX and the RX to TX and than i
    > must change the gigabit ethernet nic option "Autonegotiation Port A"
    > from the value "On" into "Off". Now the pc is running with a gigabit
    > ethernet connection over the old batm switch.
    > QUESTION:
    > Is there such a configuration option "Autonegotiation Port A - On/Off"
    > on the catalyst too? I alreday checked out the "udld"-commands, but
    > without any positiv result.

    Try either (IOS)

    ios#configure terminal
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    ios(config)#interface gigabitEthernet 0/1
    ios(config-if)#switchport nonegotiate

    or (CatOS)

    catos> (enable) set port negotiation 1/1 disable

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Sep 6, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    :I would like to connect an old batm switch to a new cisco catalyst
    :switch with fibre gigabit ethernet but a conenction can not be
    :esablished. I checked the fibre ports on both sides with a pc. They are
    :eek:n both sides (batm + cisco) ok. I figured out that therefore the
    :following configuration setting on the pc ethernet nic is required:

    :SECOND CONFIG:
    :If i now connect pc #1 directly on the gigabit ethernet port of the old
    :batm switch i have to do 2 thinks before the pc is running. First i
    :have to switch the fibre cables TX to RX and the RX to TX and than i
    :must change the gigabit ethernet nic option "Autonegotiation Port A"
    :from the value "On" into "Off". Now the pc is running with a gigabit
    :ethernet connection over the old batm switch.
    :QUESTION:
    :Is there such a configuration option "Autonegotiation Port A - On/Off"
    :eek:n the catalyst too?

    Not for gigabit. Autonegotiation (and automatic detection of transmit
    vs receive) is -mandatory- for gigabit. You cannot turn them off, as
    one of the things that is negotiated is which of the two devices is
    controlling the data clock synchronization information.

    If your batm switch will not operate with gigabit autonegotiation, then
    your batm switch is not using the gigabit standards.
    --
    "I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
    performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it
    Walter Roberson, Sep 6, 2005